Where was your Willys today?

This really was a great find, looking good!

Passenger and rear view mirror as well!

The prior owner loved the truck, according to his widow. It does seem to have been well maintained in a state of not quite arrested decay over the nearly 30 years they owned it. It runs really nice, and all the little things work — turn signals, horn, high beam indicator, gauges — but now it really needs upholstery and a new deck and sideboards.

Funny thing is, though, the poor guy was probably running it all those years with the front (solid, 2WD) axle installed backwards, so it steered very clumsily with the castor all wrong. Now it steers like a dream.

And here (as Paul Harvey might have said) is...
"The rest of the story":

https://www.oldwillysforum.com/foru...inal-1948-stake-bed-for-5k.25698/#post-303858
https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/1948-l-134-stakebed-ranch-truck.25765/

So what's the story on that? Is that were kids joyride in stolen vehicles, of just where drunks show their courage?
Basically all of the above. The black Wrangler was apparently loaded with 4 women looking for a good time. A witness reported that they asked him and his buddy if they were single, then asked them if they had any gas. The gals then attempted to "coast" back down. My guess is they not only had a few cocktails but also turned off the engine and lights(?) Regardless they were all quite bloody when the paramedics got them up.
Welcome to the urban wildland interface!

Took a burfday drive up the hill today cause it was just an exceptional day ( at least for some of us).
Stopped at Bigcone SpringView attachment 163446walked around back, and looked over the edge
View attachment 163447
Now I know what all the sirens and helochoppers were about earlier this morning! Somebody had a bad night. On top of previous bad nights. ;)
But a cruise to the top with Tiny Tim made it all betta
View attachment 163448
Oh, and Parker was along too Happy Monday!
View attachment 163449
Happy Birthday!

No Willys content, but my Son got this picture of the Norther Lights up at Blue Canyon Last night. Makayla wanted to see them, so he set the alarm and got up at 2:00 AM and drove up to 5,000 ft in the Sierra to a lookout. Looking north from I80 towards Old Man Mountain and the Sierra Buttes where we had the RFTH Rally a couple years ago.
IMG_4821.jpg

Last edited:
I sent @Lookout Ranch a text kinda late last night, after I hit "send" I thought "I hope I don't wake him up".
Nope, he went out and got some nice shot as well right from his ranch. it would be cool if someone gets a Willys' silhouette in one. @FinoCJ should get some good views.
Would make a cool calendar shot!

I posted this over at ECJ5 yesterday. A few photos from Sunday.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I see a training collar...
Jazz likes to make an exit whenever she wants and then you don't see her until dark. Trying to break that habit------

As for the CJ 5, I don't have any real plans except driving it and maybe pop riveting some panels on the floor to keep the mud out of my face. Rusted out and beat up but it runs really well and I think it is just begging for some miles.

Jazz likes to make an exit whenever she wants and then you don't see her until dark. Trying to break that habit------
FWIW, I have a new pup that's a runner. Very difficult to recall, especially if he's focused on squirrels, lizards, etc. When he did come back he got very high value treats like bacon, white meat turkey, etc. Got one of the 50 dollar collars on Amazon and it's worked wonders. Whenever he got fixated on something I use the vibration. Sends him jumping straight up in the air but comes back down with him looking at me. I then call and use the treats. I've gotten to using the tone now if I can't see him, it breaks his concentration and he comes running for treats.
I've only used the actual shock a couple of times, once when he encountered a red diamondback, and a couple of times when he was about to pounce a lizard.
It didn't take long and it was almost night and day when it all worked. He now comes when called, even if he's chasing a bird up the hill. Good luck!
Willys content: My best boy Ollie a while back... may he Run In Peace.
window.JPG

Cooler and cloudy this AM, and with few chores on my daily " to do " list, I opted to head up " onto the Callahan's ", the western ridge which defines the Umpqua Valley here at Roseburg
IMG_20240514_090532357.jpg

Looking west from my little knoll at the Callahan's. The access road to the top is steep with hairpin turns, about 3 miles worth, climbs approx 1500'. Been wanting to " test the wagon ' on this climb.
IMG_20240514_092900719.jpg
Made it up no problem. My house is somewhere under the driver side mirror.
IMG_20240514_092933399.jpg
As stated, this western Ridgeline has very steep facing from valley. Going back down was 1st gear with lots of back pressure gurgling the pipes.

Back