Where was your Willys today?

Sounds like lots has happened in your world since I saw you and Carma in Moab...
I just happened to run across the Moab 3 video yesterday, with a shot of your Willys blasting up Long Canyon :)

[video=youtube;wX85uUvpcjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX85uUvpcjo&index=10&list=PLg9JiekSBQcDmt2 4N8XtORlHz3gBqp3MZ[/video]

Pete

If that's what you wanna call blasting... I guess that's blasting, for my racing snail!

Thanks for noticing... I've made that shift a few times in the last forty years. Insert smiley face and "cool" emoticon here.

Nice Truck. What kind/Size tires are you running? Thanks

Willy at the body shop

Willy went to the hospital today for a little cosmetic work. We'll keep you posted...

Attachments

• Willy in Bad Boys 1.jpg
    Willy in Bad Boys 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Willy in Bad Boys 2.jpg
    Willy in Bad Boys 2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 44
Two ways of looking at that. A set of nice cloths always makes a woman look good. Cosmetic surgery, not so much.

That’s like the hot chick On the block going for Botox....she’s already beautiful, no messing around needed!
David

Thanks for the compliment, but you haven't seen all the rust underneath -- like where the frame is supposed to be connected to the body. It's time to do SOMETHING so the body doesn't fall off on the way down Elephant Hill or somewhere like that. Here's some of what I'm fixing (see the pictures):

Attachments

• Jeep Undercarriage rust 5.JPG
    Jeep Undercarriage rust 5.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 45
  • Jeep Undercarriage rust 4.JPG
    Jeep Undercarriage rust 4.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Jeep Undercarriage rust 8.JPG
    Jeep Undercarriage rust 8.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the compliment... I've been driving Willy since 1972. Time to do some maintenance on the structure. And stuff. Gonna do something about that rattle can paint, too. In the 1970's the paint was Halliburton Aluminum metal based paint, applied by my little sister with a paintbrush. My, how it shined back then...

Last edited:
My CJ2a is doubling as a work bench today. Opened the stuck motor I got with a parts Jeep. No wonder it won't turn.

3e0a3a6a1f8e1e6008be06981e1e9f84.jpg
81719a3d4b8c36444cccdf5983e9a6df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ick, not good. It was fairly late in life before I understood that there is always at least one cylinder open to the air at all times. So, an engine that sits for a long time, either with the air filter off or the carb. off, especially in an open air situation is very vulnerable to internal damage like is seen above. Then there are those unfortunate engines that sit with their spark plugs removed. It looks like the above engine had water sitting in the cylinder for a long period of time. ..... I bet with enough money it is salvageable though.

Actually it looks much better now. Both valves were closed so nothing got in there. Once I vaccumed out the scale and debris, things are looking much better. Both valves move easily.
2ee8a53d89e739f024dd0d592a37610a.jpg

I saw that the valves looked closed which made me think the spark plug might have been removed. Water definitely got in there somehow, the other cylinders look pretty good. I suppose it could have been a compromised head gasket. ... No matter really, I hope you can save the engine.

Head gasket looked good. Almost new(ish). There is no ring at the top of the cylinder and I'm pretty sure I can make out a 40 on the top of the pistons. I'm pretty sure it's been worked on not so long ago.
62ec17563a6e505bb2cc6c91b076b86d.jpg
9cc5afbd573af8bae7e2ba38618da552.jpg

Willy Naked (parental advisory needed?)

Here's Willy with all the stuff removed that needs to be replaced or fixed. Not much left, is there? Even the nut behind the wheel has been removed, but it's not gonna get replaced...

Attachments

• willy stripped (1).jpg
    willy stripped (1).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 58
  • willy stripped (2).jpg
    willy stripped (2).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 54
  • willy stripped (3).jpg
    willy stripped (3).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 53
  • willy stripped (4).jpg
    willy stripped (4).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 54
Here's Willy with all the stuff removed that needs to be replaced or fixed. Not much left, is there? Even the nut behind the wheel has been removed, but it's not gonna get replaced...

And I thought I had a lot to do before May... :cheers:

I think you should start a build thread in the CJ build thread section and chronicle the rebuild with lots of photos, so we can follow along from afar.

Pete

Wow,

That's just a couple hours of work there. If you get in a pinch for Moab, reinstall the steering column, seat, nut behind the wheel and go for it. Be sure to take lotsa pictures. I would surely want at least one picture in my 2019 OWF calendar.

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

And I thought I had a lot to do before May... :cheers:

I think you should start a build thread in the CJ build thread section and chronicle the rebuild with lots of photos, so we can follow along from afar.

Pete

Okay... I'll see if I can figger out how to post into the CJ build thread. With maybe an update or two here if Willy moves to a new location. Ever... some doubt right now...

Well, the 2nd mud hole in the woods was way bigger (no picture of #2, my camera slid into the back somewhere and I was running out of time at that point) but this one still swallowed my truck up just fine! I thought it was just a grassy field. Oops. Good thing I have that 12k winch on the front with a LOT of cable. It's probably spooled out 50' in that picture. I did have an issue with it popping out of it's engaged position as soon as it got a heavy load on it, so I had to hold the lever in place as I ran the winch. Not a big fan of being that close to the cable and what not. I'll have to tear it down and see why it keeps disengaging.

IMG_0719.jpg

Back