The Future of Hydrogen/ Electric.

They’re charging the car now just outside of Billings, where they’re staying tonight. This way they’ll have enough power to pre-warm the batteries in the morning (the car can be set to do this automatically) and then they can top off the charge before heading out.
California says that you shouldn't warm your car up. It's not good for them.:rolleyes: Whoever said that has not had to pry a frozen door open and scrape a foot of snow off the hood and windshield.

Copied From MSN News Feed.

The bottom line is that it's a myth that you should warm up any modern car before driving in the cold. Oil is essential for lubricating the engines of gas-powered cars. When you start your vehicle, it takes the oil pump about 20-30 seconds to fully lubricate the engine.

While the engine may not be completely warm within this time frame, it is ready to drive. However, if you let your engine idle for several minutes, the oil will drain away from its key components, which could increase friction and cause wear and tear. As a result, many car manufacturers recommend starting the car, buckling in, and driving off almost immediately.

Did I see that right. "While idling the oil will drain away from key components". In what alternate universe does a modern engine not have oil pressure at idle"

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a "reserve" in the electric "tank". We've all been on "E" and miraculously made it another "35 miles more than I should have". Like many, I've even tried to run out so I know how much further than Empty I can get. Also true on an electric ride?

Rocket thank you for verifying as false what never made sense to me either, that idling a cold vehicle damages the engine. Can anyone here defend the idea not to idle from cold start? Why would anyone say that to begin with?

Gotta say, I am liking that Canoo. Don't know why. But I likes what I like!

One thought…..when my engine warms up, it drops in oil pressure (less oil). And at idle my engine has less oil pressure than driving speed (less oil). I have been known to live in an alternative universe, but it makes some since to me that the sooner I get driving the more lubrication I have.

Copied From MSN News Feed.

The bottom line is that it's a myth that you should warm up any modern car before driving in the cold. Oil is essential for lubricating the engines of gas-powered cars. When you start your vehicle, it takes the oil pump about 20-30 seconds to fully lubricate the engine.

While the engine may not be completely warm within this time frame, it is ready to drive. However, if you let your engine idle for several minutes, the oil will drain away from its key components, which could increase friction and cause wear and tear. As a result, many car manufacturers recommend starting the car, buckling in, and driving off almost immediately.

Did I see that right. "While idling the oil will drain away from key components". In what alternate universe does an engine not have oil pressure at idle"
Some of these old Willys engines have almost no oil pressure at warm idle.

I doubt there’s any real risk of damage to a modern engine of letting it idle as it comes up to operating temperature.

As much as anything, I suspect the car makers’ admonitions not to do so relate to meeting emissions and mileage standards. If the car makers advise motorists to warm up their cars, the EPA will take that into account when conducting their mileage and emissions tests, which would be detrimental to their results.

Catalytic converters come up to their optimal operating temps faster if the engine is operating at higher RPMs or under load, so it’s better for emissions to start driving right away. A few years ago Subaru had a recall to reprogram their engine management systems for faster idle on cold starts, to bring the catalytic converters up to operating temperature faster. This was required for them to meet emissions standards.

Wow, and for the last 60 years I've been driving, I've been trying to never move my vehicle after starting until 3 minutes have passed. The time it takes to smoke a cigarette as my adopted uncle Art would say. And when it's actually cold, it's time to remove the cardboard from in front of the radiator before driving. Anybody still using "winter front's over their grill? Asking for a friend.

Wow, and for the last 60 years I've been driving, I've been trying to never move my vehicle after starting until 3 minutes have passed. The time it takes to smoke a cigarette as my adopted uncle Art would say. And when it's actually cold, it's time to remove the cardboard from in front of the radiator before driving. Anybody still using "winter front's over their grill? Asking for a friend.
I have a winter front for the Ram, it's not installed but have it if the Polar Vortex hangs out for a few weeks.

Oh man, I’ve done the cardboard in front of the radiator thing a few times when driving in Nebraska and Iowa and in the high desert of eastern Oregon. You know it’s cold when the heater doesn’t put out any heat and the ice on the inside of the car windows never melts.

Last edited:
We had that storm last Sat into Sunday, around 7:30pm Sunday got called out to a local power station that feeds an industial building. Here the station batteries were all depleted, the DC Charger had failed, no indication or alarm set up for anyone to know, so it really depleted these cells to almost nothing, 96 cells in the string, usually run 1.2v per cell, most were 0.1v I think I had 11VDC across all 96 cells. Some had signs of life.

They were cold and dead, charger was non functional. Not much you can do at 10pm in the dark like that.

Came back in the AM with a 240AC to 125DC power supply to run the station.

These are NiCad batteries and can run down to about -9 deg F for these cells and still have about 80% capacity.

But when not monitored or kept up to par they don't do well.

I think it's probably 700lb of batteries here, need to get a new set. Swap out with a new set, send this set back to see if they can recover them at the factory, and then build a second set.

So we will hump about 2100lb of cells getting this back restored.

If they can't be refreshed they will go to the smelter.

I'm not against any of it, part of the job and the future is now, just at scale I really wonder what the landscape looks like in the not so far future, it will require us to change the model at which we travel place to place to account for the charging and dealing with the cold.

It's not that they don't work in the cold or extreme, it's just different for sure and that's the part we are so used to get in and drive 80mph to and from.

Wonder what fuel source the Jetsons used in their bubble flying cars. They seems pretty efficient.

I would like to see Butane used. And natural gas replace coal, world wide.... But, whatawino?
Natural gas is already replacing coal for power plants on a global scale cuz it’s cheaper than coal and the natural gas plants are more flexible / useful. However, some countries are still building coal plants because they either have coal or control access to coal.

Back