The Future of Hydrogen/ Electric.

Electric cars have fewer moving parts than an internal combustion-powered car should be much more reliable as a result. I suspect someday.
Some additional info on the cutting room floor is:

1. The auto parts industry gives discounts on parts to the rental car industry. Tesla does not.

2. There aren’t enough body and repair shops staffed and equipped yet to serve this latest version of the newfangled horseless carriages, so yes repair costs are higher than fixing an Olds 88.

Electric vehicles are GREAT for the environment....except they require extensive earth strip-mining ( by big diesel equipment ) for rare earth minerals (limited supply) and which are hazardous material for disposal, and they might be slightly more expensive to maintain and repair. But, they can be recharged from the electric grid....which requires solar ( back to rare earth minerals), coal ( dam smoke ), hydro ( dam that river), wind ( have you heard about those non-recyclable blades and dead eagles ).
Can't beat tennis shoes and Willys!

Reports indicate that they are improving the hydrogen fuel and electric processing, but again, it involves a rare earth mineral production and hazardous material residue. They all have a place, just quit with the environment benefits bs.
Almost every internal combustion engine could be run on "Clean Natural Gas" like most city busses. We just bun it off at most wells and refineries. And now Ca. is mandating new home constructions to be all electric with no gas cook stoves, heating units, or water heaters. Now that's economical. (not)
1705038559915.png

I am not into buying expensive vehicles. Honestly, I wish simple vehicles were still available. Give me AC, cruise, maybe power windows and I am good. Now I did put an LS in my nova, so I do appreciate FI. I like Toyota and their approach with Hybrids. Being retired I don't need to be in a hurry to get anywhere but, when on a trip. I am not willing to wait long periods at a charging station.

I think we all believe our system drinks too much cool aid. Here's a prime example. Ford makes the Lightning and also hybrid versions of their pickup. The story I saw said that the battery in capacity in one Lightning could be used to make quite a few hybrid models with an environmental impact like 50 times better.

Last edited:
I'm not a well educated man. I do know that butane is a liquid @ 30 psi. Natural gas is used in a 3,000 psi system in automotive applications and hydrogen is used @ 10,000 psi in the same application. I have seen a number of explosions (video) of natural gas explosions. All were captured while refueling. Now guess which fuel is on MY wish list. Did I mention that explosive fumes from Butane are heavier than air, just like gasoline
fumes? And it has at least 90% the BTU's of gasoline? ( Actually more, BTU's per gallon) Why would I comment? Just a shot in the dark..........Have a great, safe, productive day. Oh, ahd while I'm wishing..... I want my CD player back in new vehicles. Spotify is too nutty for this old mechanic.

Gasoline 125K BTU per gallon
Butane 130K BTU per gallon

Fueling a CNG car and the fuel tank fails.. The caption is WRONG. Not an electric car.

Last edited:
I am not into buying expensive vehicles. Honestly, I wish simple vehicles were still available. Give me AC, cruise, maybe power windows and I am good. Now I did put an LS in my nova, so I do appreciate FI. I like Toyota and their approach with Hybrids. Being retired I don't need to be in a hurry to get anywhere but, when on a trip. I am not willing to wait long periods at a charging station.

I think we all believe our system drinks too much cool aid. Here's a prime example. Ford makes the Lightning and also hybrid versions of their pickup. The story I saw said that the battery in capacity in one Lightning could be used to make quite a few hybrid models with an environmental impact like 50 times better.
Here you go. A new electric car for under 20K

I'm definitely NOT a fan of EV's and would NEVER have one as a main vehicle. This lil VinFast however could be a sensible "local" vehicle..I like the no frills approach. (after all I AM a Willys guy)

And Hey, they're made in Vietnam...........

Our son just sent this:

Well we’re between Bismarck and Billings, car says it’s -14 out. Getting terrible range but so far chargers are spaced such that it’s ok. Have one stretch today that’s a little worrying.​
I told him not to take any chances.

May be cheap and simple but, unless I was working grave yard shift and charging it off my solar panels and needed a car, and, and, and maybe. This reminds me of the Smart (oxymoron) car. Maybe a Yugo also :)

I'm definitely NOT a fan of EV's and would NEVER have one as a main vehicle. This lil VinFast however could be a sensible "local" vehicle..I like the no frills approach. (after all I AM a Willys guy)
I really like that too. It would be perfect for us as a second “car.”

Our son just sent this:

Well we’re between Bismarck and Billings, car says it’s -14 out. Getting terrible range but so far chargers are spaced such that it’s ok. Have one stretch today that’s a little worrying.​
I told him not to take any chances.
The bad: latest data shows about a 30% hit to EV range in winter weather.

The good: if you can plug in an EV overnight, you can use grid power to keep the battery warm (minimizing the range hit) as well as making the cabin temp as toasty warm as you want it, all using grid power, keeping the battery energy for driving. Plus it’s awesome getting in a warm car in the middle of winter.

The bad: latest data shows about a 30% hit to EV range in winter weather.

The good: if you can plug in an EV overnight, you can use grid power to keep the battery warm (minimizing the range hit) as well as making the cabin temp as toasty warm as you want it, all using grid power, keeping the battery energy for driving. Plus it’s awesome getting in a warm car in the middle of winter.
Except in Alta where the power is out half the time. Then I'd be charging it with my 10K generator.

Last edited:
Back