Anyone else have two extra aux gauges on a 1957-1965 truck or wagon?

My '50(?) pickup has the 2 extra gauges but they are mounted in what looks like a removable panel to the left of the steering column. I'll get a photo tomorrow.

That panel, I believe is for a radio. The extra gauges are probably after market.
Well, "tomorrow" was late, but here's what I have. I assume these were added by a previous owner because originals quit working. I hope it may have been wiring not gauges that went bad.

Attachments

• 20230626_120554.jpg
    20230626_120554.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 10
Well, "tomorrow" was late, but here's what I have. I assume these were added by a previous owner because originals quit working. I hope it may have been wiring not gauges that went bad.
Aftermarket installed in the blank for Radio. You maybe able to rebuild original gauges or replace them there not that hard to find. There are a few people on the forum that can help.

Aftermarket installed in the blank for Radio. You maybe able to rebuild original gauges or replace them there not that hard to find. There are a few people on the forum that can help.
yup.
My wagon has 2 Sun brand, very much aftermarket gauges in that panel. I'm guessing they were installed when a PO's "12 volt conversion" was attempted.

Brad

yup.
My wagon has 2 Sun brand, very much aftermarket gauges in that panel. I'm guessing they were installed when a PO's "12 volt conversion" was attempted.

Brad
I could be mistaken but 57 are factory 12 volt. You should have one round gauge not the 4 rectangle one round correct?

I could be mistaken but 57 are factory 12 volt. You should have one round gauge not the 4 rectangle one round correct?
I was speculating only as to why my (1951) wagon's 2 round gauges were added.

dash_paint.jpg

I agree that later wagons would not need a conversion and other reasons would come into play.
As a high school kid in the 70s I definitely added a few gauges here and there on my vehicles - just because.

Brad

Thanks, Jay. I will definitely need help if gauges are/were the problem.

I was speculating only as to why my (1951) wagon's 2 round gauges were added.

View attachment 145139

I agree that later wagons would not need a conversion and other reasons would come into play.
As a high school kid in the 70s I definitely added a few gauges here and there on my vehicles - just because.

Brad
I also believe those gauges are no older than 56 1/2 so they would be 6volt originally.

I was wondering how many of you have two extra auxiliary gauges flanking the single speedo assembly of the 1957-1965 truck or wagon like this:
View attachment 36909
It's not unusual to see these two extra gauges.

Here's a shot of the dash of a 1960 2wd wagon:

s-l1600.jpg

Interestingly, the extra gauges are flip-flopped with the warning lights built into the stock speedo assembly (idiot light for amp is on the left, extra amp gauge is on the right of the speedo; vice-versa for oil pressure)

I am wondering if this was a decision made by individual Willys owners to supplement the warning lights or if a dealer(s) installed the two extra gauges. A third, but far less likely, option would be factory-installed. I recall reading somewhere that a Willys expert (@Bill Norris?) has seen a factory wiring harness with wires leading to the two extra gauges...

Anyway, just wondering...
My late year 56 had em.
Timothy

My dash had more holes in it than Swiss Cheeze when I started on it. With the Ford F150 Tranny, I have no speedo drive.( the speedo worked off rear axle anti loc). The Land Rover LT230 T/C also has no sending unit. ( Their speedo worked off of the wheel speed sensors). When I first built the wagon I found a 5" electronic speedo from a Peterbuilt that fit the hole. It has a series of DIP switches on the back for pulses per mile. But I have never been able to get my Rover Wheel Speed Sensors to talk to the Speedo.

I have finally given up on finding a GPS speedo in 5" to fill the hole. I ordered a 3 3/8" speedo and tach and will mount them in a 3/16" aluminum plate. I know I will have to modify the dash. But with the speedo and dash being able to be removed from the front, I think it will be well worth having access to the rats nest of wires behind it.

Paper pattern just to get an idea of what I needed.
IMG_20230701_142453665.jpg
Cut out of a road kill - road sign.
IMG_20230701_142502315.jpg

I haven't decided if I will polish it or do a machine swirl finish.
IMG_20230702_103518876.jpg
I'll post more when the gauges show up.

Last edited:
I mounted the GPS antenna to the vent door, and brought the cable through the hole that the windshield washer nozzle that had never been hooked up.
IMG_20230710_163030208.jpg
Then I spent a little time on the buffer and polished the mounting plate a bit. Purist beware. I mounted the plate over the old speedo hole and marked where the dash needed to be opened up. When I first got this wagon, the dash had so many holes it looked like Swiss Cheese, so I don't feel too bad about it.
IMG_20230710_162316684.jpg
At 70 MPH I'm turning 2,000 RPM. just like a modern car.
IMG_20230710_160843032.jpg

Back