6-226 clutch? Is it difficult or a PITA to put a new one in???

TacBlade

Bigger Hammer
Oct 29, 2018
Newcastle, WY
First Name
Brad
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
My clutch works, but it does the shake/studder when letting the clutch out. It’s pretty annoying and makes we wonder if it’s going to go out sometime? Anyone have any ideas to eliminate the shake/studder on the clutch. I have a 1961 Station wagon with the 6-226. It was sitting for 41 years.

I started my clutch throw out bearing project in May of 2022, so for some it's a longer process then others! Life happens and I shifted away from the Willys stuff very quickly it will be there when I get time.

But I've enjoyed most of the time I get to work on the rig.

Overall I had never done a full clutch project, and I guess can't say I've ever finished a clutch project.

But it's doable for sure if that's all it is in a few weeks time if not able to spend dedicated time.

Hi Brad
The clutch is relatively easy to change
Push the transmission out of the way and you can drop the pressure
plate and the clutch disc out the bottom
I suggest replacing the throw-out bearing at that time

The fly wheel is another story but not to bad
It may need surfacing.
Note it will only go on ONE way for the flywheel

I think it almost easier to pull the engine and transmission as one piece!!!

If the clutch doesn't slip, but you have shudder, try replacing the motor mounts starting at the transmission and going forward. They're almost certainly oil soaked and melted into garbage by now, especially the rear. I suspect you'll notice a difference.

If the clutch doesn't slip, but you have shudder, try replacing the motor mounts starting at the transmission and going forward. They're almost certainly oil soaked and melted into garbage by now, especially the rear. I suspect you'll notice a difference.
Can the mounts be taken out one at a time and replaced or do you have to pull the motor and tranny out to do this?

No need to pull the units. Floor jack(s) strategically placed will allow you to lift the weight off the mounts to replace. A nice basic job.

John

A basic bottle jack and a few pieces of wood will be plenty. You just need to jack the engine/gearboxes enough to slide out the old mount, and slide in the slightly less collapsed new one. Crawl under the truck with a stiff putty knife and a pizza box and start scraping your way down to the parts of interest.

The motor mounts and transmission should be easy to replace
the front motors can be replaced at the same time
but I would get them bolted down before I did the
TWO transmission mounts

Back