Where was your Willys today?

I did insist on receiving the old parts. I'm going to have someone look at the trans and send the old OD to Herm.
Thank you for the offer. I'd like very much to take advantage of that but I can't leave Dad alone that long. Getting really old sucks.
Understood. I look forward to reading all about it.

This will be TMI for most people but you asked.

During Summer of 2016 my Godfather became very I'll. Eventually the diagnosis was meningitis of the brain....I think. It's a long time ago. Anyway, I was appointed health care representative and DPOA. For about 3 1/2 years he was my responsibility along with work, elderly parents, maintaining the apt bldg and trying to have a life. Yeah, silly me to think I should have a life.

So flash forward to 2018. Dad gets a burr under his saddle and wants the M38a1 refurbished to represent his old carrier, the USS Shangri La. I reminded him the trans popped out of 2nd gear and it hadn't been run in about 10 years or so. I didn't have enough bandwidth left in my life to help Dad. So he took it to a local garage. The owner worked on the engine and brakes and got it running decently but he retired and closed up shop before performing the tranny work. So "Frank" sent the Willys over to the local
transmission shop. Aaaaand, that's the place it sat at for 2 years and 2 months. The trans shop owner said the T90 case was "out of spec" and he suggested buying a new transmission. Yep, it's now got a $h!+ Omix Chinese tranny and then he said he wouldn't install the old and worn Warn OD because it commingles oil with the new trans. Then the new trans had a defective gear on the mainshaft(?). So he argued with Omix, sent the part back, they argued and sent the part back to Lakeport. So said shop owner somehow found another new shaft, took apart everything again and supposedly made the transmission good. Then, he said, the transfer case housing was leaking. So he replaced the housing too which required more R&R. All this because my life was too full in late 2017 to handle shop assignments/do the work myself.
Sadly, now Pops is so disabled from age that he will likely never ride in the Jeep again.

Like I wrote Don, TMI but you asked.

OK - a fine post here, not TMI at all. A few thoughts in response.

First - in total - it all adds up to an acceptable "excuse" for the original little 'poke' I gave you for not playing with your own tranny! Haha. And some sympathy to go along with it, that was a tough few years, sounds like. We had a similar stretch in the 2014-2016 period. We were not yet retired, my Dad was slowly failing and kind of a handful, etc - ending with his passing at the very end of 2016 at 92. And then my Mom ever since, although she's still pretty self-sufficient. But still requires daily support.

I suspect me finding my truck was partially a reaction to all that.

Your post also raises a couple further questions, my Brother-by-another-Mother -

so your Dad served in the Navy, on a carrier, in the Pacific.... Of course, my Dad served in the Navy, on a carrier, in the Pacific, during WWII. I'm guessing, from the younger ages involved, that your Dad was in during the Korean era. Also that he wanted an M38a1 for the tribute.

And you mentioned briefly about "taking care of the apartment building." Of course you already knew that my/our business for the last 25 years before retirement was owning and operating apartments....

And one minor correction, if I may: the Summer of 2016 was NOT "a long time ago." That was about 10 minutes ago. Haha!

Glad you got the original parts back from the Jailer, at least.

First state inspection sticker in 32 years. I drove up to the guy and said I'm a little overdue for a new sticker. His eyes opened up wide when he saw 1988 on the old sticker. It passed. Went for a cruise with the girls to celebrate. I scream for ice cream...
20200801_163314.jpg

First state inspection sticker in 32 years. I drove up to the guy and said I'm a little overdue for a new sticker. His eyes opened up wide when he saw 1988 on the old sticker. It passed. Went for a cruise with the girls to celebrate. I scream for ice cream...
View attachment 80030
Thats awesome looking in all white. Tailgate action is always fun!

View attachment 80030

I KNEW there would be ice cream involved.

Congratulations!

So glad the People's Republic here doesn't require state inspections....yet.

My audience demands a report, so here it is.

The Great Mendocino/Letts lake run

Leaving home at 5:30 am.
20200806_053215.jpg

On hwy 29 as the sun starts it's ascension.
20200806_054624.jpg

Gas up the truck and gas cans in Lakeport.
20200806_060807.jpg

In Upper Lake, it was Hwy 20 to Elk Mountain rd, right on Pitney Lane, then left on (I think) Sam's Ridge rd, to enter Mendo Nat'l Forest. At some unknown point, the road became 16N30. This is what it looked like so far. Easy peasy...so far.
20200806_065439.jpg

Found two derelicts alongside the road.
20200806_070158.jpg

If the photos look dark that's because....it was.

Some territory.
20200806_070211.jpg

Ruh roh. Lots of damage from the Ranch Fire exactly two years ago. For those out of state, CA regularly catches fire about this time of year and often stays lit until it rains in Nov. Lovely huh?
20200806_070611.jpg

So 16N30 and 16N01 are a climb. Essentially you're travelling from lake level to the top of one ridge. The drive encompasses many, many, (did I say many?) ridge and valley adventures. The territory is very mountainous, no straight roads.

Here are a couple sights off the road.
20200806_070930.jpg

An interesting rock formation. We'll see this later from the other side.
20200806_073834.jpg

Breakfast of champions with a million dollar view to aid digestion.
20200806_074954.jpg

Same rock but from the opposite side. So I drove along the mountain side around the rock. You may be able to see the road way in the distance. Some pics were taken with a zoom feature so similar to what your mirror says, objects are further away than they appear.
20200806_080116.jpg

Look! I actually found a straight section. :D
20200806_080138.jpg

Long about this time, I was probably either on 17N11 or 17N04.
20200806_080208.jpg

This kinda stuff happened often especially as I moved deeper into the forests. There were groves of these burnt out trees. As they are relatively thin, they are falling down now. A ranger that I met at the lake said the major evergreens will begin falling next year as it takes about three years. Much further to the East, there is big time logging going on. The roads are much smoother and more densely travelled. Anyway, there were multiple occasions where I had to pick a line to get under a tree.
20200806_084324.jpg

One of the banked corners for the fast movers. I thought it was a neat picture.
20200806_085610.jpg

Up to this point it was all 2wd Hi. This hill was too steep for 1-Hi. Had to use 1-4wd Lo and lock the hubs of course.
20200806_090150.jpg

My favorite meadow. I'd build a house here if this were private property.
20200806_095604.jpg

At that point I was on 17N07 which was the roughest portion of the drive. Some really challenging switchbacks, steep climbs, water rutted road, dry creek crossings and elevation changes. That road eventually put me up on top of my last ridge climb. At that point I was near the elevation of the lake. Letts Lake is not in a low valley but above 4000'.

I have arrived.
20200807_093343.jpg

Letts Lake. Interesting murder history about the lake and the Lett brothers. I downloaded this pic of the monument.
letts_valley_plaque_thumb.jpg

20200807_093421.jpg

Too many pics. Please standby.

A portion of the campgrounds.
20200807_093428.jpg

Edit: my cousin just got back into cell range last night. These are their pics.

A steep road that we tried on Thursday night. It was washed out up ahead. Randy had to spot me while I made a eight point U-turn.
IMG_5024.jpg

Randy
IMG_3674.jpg

Me arriving.
IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

Joe putt putting away.
IMG_3673.jpg

The drive in used 4 hours and 18 minutes, one minor breakfast, many picture stops and four pee breaks. I did not record the mileage. My bad.:confused: I was really worn out from all the sawing away at the steering wheel and bouncing on the seat.

The Departure

The truck chip seals the road as we drive. I filled the trans and rear end before leaving. I had to channel my inner @Flinthillsben to replenish before departing.
20200807_095611.jpg

Our exit was East instead of going back over my entry. The road is far more traveled and therefore is kept nicely graded. The view changes more rapidly as well. You drop in elevation relatively rapidly and the plants are mostly oak, scrub, etc. It stays nice thru Deafy Glade and Dixie Glade until you bottom out in Fouts Springs area. The alpine effect goes away quickly. Here's one view in the vacinity of Fouts as I was climbing out of that valley.
20200807_164047.jpg

Somewhere around Fouts, the road name seems to change to Fouts Springs rd/43A. I motored along that to the wee burg of Stonyford. I gassed up in Stonyford at 99,688 miles. That'll be relevant later. From the general store I went right onto Lodoga/Stonyford rd until I reached a tee. Then I turned right onto Leesville/Lodoga rd which turned to well maintained gravel in a few miles. That looked a lot like this.
20200807_174356.jpg

BTW, the other choice at the tee would ha e taken me to Maxwell. I chose the other route to avoid driving on I5 bwtn Maxwell a d Williams.

Along the road I found this. Someone had a very bad day.
20200807_174141.jpg

Apparently I found Leesville. Around here the route became Leesville rd.
20200807_174707.jpg

At this point, the road was miles of straight between cattle land.
20200807_175333.jpg

But rather suddenly the valley narrowed into a ravine, became nicely cool and was lush near the creek.
20200807_180443.jpg

Later down the road, more water and green.
20200807_180849.jpg

The road would soon rise above the creek and become quite narrow. Too many fast, late model drivers coming the opposite way. One damn near hit me as we rounded a corner and he was on my side. I'm not kidding, our mirrors ended up about 2' apart fore/aft, not side to side. I stopped before him in his fancy schmancy Ram truck. Thank you patron saint of Lockheed/Wagner brakes.
From there it was more of the same and other harrowing moments with oncoming traffic until Hwy 20. This highway would take me back to Lake Co. Unfortunately, Hwy 20 is steep inclines and fast traffic. Fortunately there are many passing lanes. The ol' Ranch Truck just didn't have enough steam in it's boiler to maintain 55 mph on the inclines. One incline was so steep that we were down to 35 at the top.
Here is the only sight to see along the road. Good point for a butt rest too.
20200807_183230.jpg

But the old truck can still get it on along the straight sections.
20200807_184302.jpg

Finally at the bottom of our hill.
20200807_191723.jpg

The reason that mileage in Stonyford has relevance is that I tanked up again in Lower Lake. 99746 mi and 4.86 gallons. This was along mostly 40 mph gravel road and then steep up and down highway. More up than down. I kinda figured some people might call B.S. on the mileage so I had to take a screenshot. I could hardly believe it.
Screenshot_20200807-194915_Calculator.jpg

Almost 12 mpg.

Takeaways
-the brakes are bedding in and the parking brake holds on a hill. Remember that hill shot when I shifted into 4wd Lo? The engine was running and the parking brake was holding the truck.
-never once overheated in spite of long climbs and high rpm's.
-mileage was surprisingly good.
-for those that put down Ross steering, I don't understand. It worked very well. The low ratio makes for lots of steering wheel work but that same low ratio makes for easy effort. I've driven Armstrong steering. Stick with pizza cutter tires.
-plenty of power off road.
-gets toasty in the cab.
-gravel roads, open lug tires and metal floorpans make for a loud ride.
-speaking of loud, either the trans or t/c makes one helluva racket at light throttle above 45 or so.
-and speaking of drivelines, I've GOTTA seal up some of these leaks! Before leaving, two pinion seals, front diff cover gasket and one Speedi Sleeve were purchased.
-upon coming home, I drive right into the garage and drained the engine oil. I figured the high detergent oil would be scrubbing the oil pan and engine block. I was correct. Over 200 miles and it's black as tar.

Today I'm bushed. It was a grand adventure but these old trucks are a handful to drive. I hope you enjoyed tagging along.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking us along and sharing the pics. Glad your truck did so well.

I've found some 3/8" felt carpet padding on the floor, including up the firewall to the major cross-seam (held in place by push-pins) and in the cubby under the seat, makes a huge difference reducing the racket and makes the drive much more enjoyable and less tiring. I also put closed cell foam under the flashing on the hump that covers the transmission -- cut it to fit and screw it down. Big difference.

Incidentally, you may benefit from an intermediate shaft refresh in the TC. When that gets worn, as it will, it contributes to the racket. That can be done in the truck from underneath.

A portion of the campgrounds.
View attachment 80461

The drive in used 4 hours and 18 minutes, one minor breakfast, many picture stops and four pee breaks. I did not record the mileage. My bad.:confused: I was really worn out from all the sawing away at the steering wheel and bouncing on the seat.

The Departure

The truck chip seals the road as we drive. I filled the trans and rear end before leaving. I had to channel my inner @Flinthillsben to replenish before departing.
View attachment 80462

Our exit was East instead of going back over my entry. The road is far more traveled and therefore is kept nicely graded. The view changes more rapidly as well. You drop in elevation relatively rapidly and the plants are mostly oak, scrub, etc. It stays nice thru Deafy Glade and Dixie Glade until you bottom out in Fouts Springs area. The alpine effect goes away quickly. Here's one view in the vacinity of Fouts as I was climbing out of that valley.
View attachment 80463

Somewhere around Fouts, the road name seems to change to Fouts Springs rd/43A. I motored along that to the wee burg of Stonyford. I gassed up in Stonyford at 99,688 miles. That'll be relevant later. From the general store I went right onto Lodoga/Stonyford rd until I reached a tee. Then I turned right onto Leesville/Lodoga rd which turned to well maintained gravel in a few miles. That looked a lot like this.
View attachment 80465

BTW, the other choice at the tee would ha e taken me to Maxwell. I chose the other route to avoid driving on I5 bwtn Maxwell a d Williams.

Along the road I found this. Someone had a very bad day.
View attachment 80466

Apparently I found Leesville. Around here the route became Leesville rd.
View attachment 80467

At this point, the road was miles of straight between cattle land.
View attachment 80468

But rather suddenly the valley narrowed into a ravine, became nicely cool and was lush near the creek.
View attachment 80469

Later down the road, more water and green.
View attachment 80470

The road would soon rise above the creek and become quite narrow. Too many fast, late model drivers coming the opposite way. One damn near hit me as we rounded a corner and he was on my side. I'm not kidding, our mirrors ended up about 2' apart fore/aft, not side to side. I stopped before him in his fancy schmancy Ram truck. Thank you patron saint of Lockheed/Wagner brakes.
From there it was more of the same and other harrowing moments with oncoming traffic until Hwy 20. This highway would take me back to Lake Co. Unfortunately, Hwy 20 is steep inclines and fast traffic. Fortunately there are many passing lanes. The ol' Ranch Truck just didn't have enough steam in it's boiler to maintain 55 mph on the inclines. One incline was so steep that we were down to 35 at the top.
Here is the only sight to see along the road. Good point for a butt rest too.
View attachment 80472

But the old truck can still get it on along the straight sections.
View attachment 80473

Finally at the bottom of our hill.
View attachment 80474

The reason that mileage in Stonyford has relevance is that I tanked up again in Lower Lake. 99746 mi and 4.86 gallons. This was along mostly 40 mph gravel road and then steep up and down highway. More up than down. I kinda figured some people might call B.S. on the mileage so I had to take a screenshot. I could hardly believe it.
View attachment 80475

Almost 12 mpg.

Takeaways
-the brakes are bedding in and the parking brake holds on a hill. Remember that hill shot when I shifted into 4wd Lo? The engine was running and the parking brake was holding the truck.
-never once overheated in spite of long climbs and high rpm's.
-mileage was surprisingly good.
-for those that put down Ross steering, I don't understand. It worked very well. The low ratio makes for lots of steering wheel work but that same low ratio makes for easy effort. I've driven Armstrong steering. Stick with pizza cutter tires.
-plenty of power off road.
-gets toasty in the cab.
-gravel roads, open lug tires and metal floorpans make for a loud ride.
-speaking of loud, either the trans or t/c makes one helluva racket at light throttle above 45 or so.
-and speaking of drivelines, I've GOTTA seal up some of these leaks! Before leaving, two pinion seals, front diff cover gasket and one Speedi Sleeve were purchased.
-upon coming home, I drive right into the garage and drained the engine oil. I figured the high detergent oil would be scrubbing the oil pan and engine block. I was correct. Over 200 miles and it's black as tar.

Today I'm bushed. It was a grand adventure but these old trucks are a handful to drive. I hope you enjoyed tagging along.
20200808_212841.jpg

(In the voice of 1980s Chevy Chase:) Just close your eyes, and be the ball..... na na na na na na na na .................na na na na na na na na na na.

Looks like it was a good day for many of us to get away for the day.
I finally was able to make the trip down to the Gulf.I loaded up my fishing gear and strapped one of my surfboards( the long slow one)on the roof and took off.31FA62B3-0AB2-4160-80A1-79FF55C3ABAD.jpegfilled the tank in Katy Tx and started heading south.T0555E4EE-0B85-481E-A945-5265BC4445E9.jpegThis is the causeway going into Galveston This is where you start to smell the salt air.1575D610-8F08-4CEB-A363-30EC0955C7BA.jpegII alway stop at Smittys bait shop to get some fresh shrimp and what ever I forgot to bring with me.CC1A88DE-FB3E-4C5C-9869-AFD4E52EE64C.jpeg71B199A2-EA32-4A7B-A5D4-CEE56C23D407.jpegSo here it is folks,The Gulf Of Mexico.And I met that storm on my way back home.E5BD2DB1-69EE-4FDD-BD89-889A186715A3.jpegFE788054-7DB1-4688-9790-FD32DD3BFE03.jpeg51742C2C-AD27-4F2C-87EF-9C35D2E1D144.jpegJust some pictures of my machine posing at the beach51742C2C-AD27-4F2C-87EF-9C35D2E1D144.jpegThe surf was really flat I still took the board out and paddled around a bit.Then Went back to fish another hour.Kept catching Gafftop,a sort of salt water catfish and a few Pompino.No keepers.5F384FD9-8E2C-4B84-A812-3B2E418FDCC8.jpegAFC5B86B-B5CE-4ABF-9EBA-490A6E2ECB2E.jpeg9D3ED844-6B43-4E4A-AAFF-C0E9802D7BB4.jpegTime to head home9B6B10DE-2D22-4BD1-80B6-86054D2A2B3D.jpegBFB4EDAC-4521-4E78-91FB-B3714E1290F4.jpegSo here you have the Houston skyline.

It was a successful trip made to Galveston and home with no issues. I bought this machine to do what it did today.Surfing and fishing.

It's still a work in progress. AC would have been nice, but I'm still looking for the right setup. I have a box of parts that need attention. I bought new shocks and a third brake light, so people can actually see I’m stopping. There's plenty to still do but today was all about using the machine for what it was bought for and proving that it’s mechanically capable.

I'm satisfied and I made some folks smile today.

One more thing: cruising at 70 mph, I actually got 15 mpg.

Back