Where was your Willys today?

Finally I get to make a post in this thread.

The CA DMV asked for a weight certificate...for the truck, not me. :) As the truck is unregistered, onto the trailer it went.
20200723_081757.jpg

I unloaded it next to the county road in front of RB Peters in Lakeport. They sell road base and landscaping rock plus they are a certified weigh master. I got to actually drive the truck somewhere other than the ranch...albeit not more than 50 yards or so. Hey, it's the little victories right?

Here's the truck on the scale.
20200723_091843.jpg

So how heavy you ask?
3580 pounds. Kinda interesting as here is the 1972 registration. Check out unladen weight.
20200723_125538.jpg

Also, this truck was behind me. The owner was there for the same reason. Looks to be a 1963 Chev truck.
20200723_092932.jpg
How heavy? Exactly 100 pounds more at 3680 pounds. That makes the ol' Willys one hefty truck considering it's size. Not doubt due to the 4wd drivetrain and 1 ton rear springs.

Anyway, that's where my Willys was today. Tomorrow a trip to Kelseyville CHP for VIN verification.

The CA DMV asked for a weight certificate...for the truck, not me. :) As the truck is unregistered, onto the trailer it went.
View attachment 79430

I unloaded it next to the county road in front of RB Peters in Lakeport. They sell road base and landscaping rock plus they are a certified weigh master. I got to actually drive the truck somewhere other than the ranch...albeit not more than 50 yards or so. Hey, it's the little victories right?

View attachment 79431

So how heavy you ask?
3580 pounds. Kinda interesting as here is the 1972 registration. Check out unladen weight.
View attachment 79432

Also, this truck was behind me. The owner was there for the same reason. Looks to be a 1963 Chev truck.
View attachment 79434
How heavy? Exactly 100 pounds more at 3680 pounds. That makes the ol' Willys one hefty truck considering it's size. Not doubt due to the 4wd drivetrain and 1 ton rear springs.

Anyway, that's where my Willys was today. Tomorrow a trip to Kelseyville CHP for VIN verification.
I’m betting the Frankengreen is HEAVY

View attachment 79430

View attachment 79431

So how heavy you ask?
View attachment 79432

View attachment 79434

My wife says your truck looks cute. Yes that’s a compliment. She’d love to have one like it for hauling hay. You’re going to get lots of thumbs up when you start driving it around.

My wife says your truck looks cute. Yes that’s a compliment. She’d love to have one like it for hauling hay. You’re going to get lots of thumbs up when you start driving it around.

First, please pass along one of these to your dear wife:)
Second, I noticed the pickup drivers ar the gas station all were looking at it and Jeep drivers on the road gave it a stare.
Not like the average person sees a real Willys every day huh?

View attachment 79430

Sooooo, Joseph, 4 1/2 months on the forum, 1,952 posts, 2,578 likes and 50 yards of driving your Willys? There's definitely some records of sorts here!! (number of posts per miles driven, number of likes per miles driven, etc, etc.) Here's to keeping this website entertaining!! lol

View attachment 79430

View attachment 79431

So how heavy you ask?
View attachment 79432

View attachment 79434

View attachment 79430

View attachment 79431

So how heavy you ask?
View attachment 79432

View attachment 79434

Joe,
I’m wondering why the DMV wanted the unladen weight when you had an old registration, albeit with the weight stated too high. God forbid they make you license it as a 1 Ton as the annual fees will be much higher.

Joe,
I’m wondering why the DMV wanted the unladen weight when you had an old registration, albeit with the weight stated too high. God forbid they make you license it as a 1 Ton as the annual fees will be much higher.

I never showed them the old reg.

For reasons unfathomable to me, Dad had it registered to a business that he was partners in. That business is long closed 34 years ago and the majority owner is dead. I've learned a few lessons about the DMV. Don't show them any more information than they need and don't relate anything you aren't willing to explain.

Regarding the weight, another buddy told me that the certification was because it's a commercial vehicle and off the DMV's records. You are correct about registering a 1 ton in CA. I have an '85 GMC 1 ton 4wd. It weighs over 6200#. The reg is over $200 for a 35 year old vehicle.

Friday was blazing hot in Lakeport and there were a dozen people waiting outside. We aren't allowed to wait inside. I'll be going back tomorrow morning and be there before they open.

Last edited:
Back