Dec 23, 2014
Mulkeytown, IL
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Looking great Pops! If I ever do another wagon/pickup, I will go the donor vehicle route you went. When you compare the time/$ to fit modern stuff to an old chassis, there really is no other choice. I have always been in a position where I already had the parts, or the ones that were there were in too good of shape to justify (in my mind) swapping them out. I don't expect a modern ride with mine, but I do rebuild everything with the HOPE of some semblance of reliability. Crap, just noticed the O/D output yoke seal is leaking bad on the delivery...............................

Seabee

POPS52

Precision Fit
Mar 23, 2020
Tome New Mexico
First Name
Roger
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Have I mentioned that I truly hate body work? Two weeks and this is all I have to show for it. Found a couple of issues under the cracked and separated bondo on the cab mods by the previous owner.

Patience is a virtue and I'm lacking in that department. I just have to keep telling myself that now isn't the time to start taking short cuts.

IMG-4535.JPGIMG-4551.JPGIMG-4552.JPGIMG-4553.JPGIMG-4554.JPG

RandyP

Precision Fit
Aug 30, 2016
Tx
First Name
Randy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Body work definitely sucks! You put in alot of time, energy, and fingerprints and it doesn't look much different. Then you spray on something with a little gloss to it and you see you aren't done. I have read that when you think you're done, you're about half way there.
What I found on mine is that the 2k primer shrinks alot. I have a couple of spots on my tailgate where there were holes for tail lights that I'm going to redo. Welded them up, filled with some filler, primed with epoxy and 2k prior to smoothing. Painted with final coats and everything looked good. About a month later both spots show up through the paint. Not sure how long the epoxy primer should dry but 2 to 3 days wasn't long enough. Really frustrating after all the work required to get it smooth!

Randy

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Body work definitely sucks! You put in alot of time, energy, and fingerprints and it doesn't look much different. Then you spray on something with a little gloss to it and you see you aren't done. I have read that when you think you're done, you're about half way there.
What I found on mine is that the 2k primer shrinks alot. I have a couple of spots on my tailgate where there were holes for tail lights that I'm going to redo. Welded them up, filled with some filler, primed with epoxy and 2k prior to smoothing. Painted with final coats and everything looked good. About a month later both spots show up through the paint. Not sure how long the epoxy primer should dry but 2 to 3 days wasn't long enough. Really frustrating after all the work required to get it smooth!

Randy
It is the polyester body filler that shrinks Randy.

POPS52

Precision Fit
Mar 23, 2020
Tome New Mexico
First Name
Roger
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1952

Randy
I'm hoping the flat paint doesn't show the imperfections of my body work as much as shiny paint. We'll see

Seabee

Well Oiled
Dec 23, 2014
Mulkeytown, IL
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
I know it sucks, but I grind out every bit of any existing body work to uncover the inevitable poorly done work that we all normally find. I'm no Marcus, so I am familiar with the Bondo salesman! It may have a little more than acceptable in a pro shop, but at least the welding repairs are done correctly when I'm finished and will last many years.

I just noticed that your 3rd door opens at the front. I love that! Reminds me of a Lincoln...........

Bruce4310TX

Sharpest Tool
Jan 29, 2017
Rhome ,TX
First Name
Bruce
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Roger, regular body filler does not hold up well under welded seams it like's to crack as the seam can have different expansion rates, try one of these fillers i have used both for years and they hold up much better. I am using it now on my extended section Just use it over your seams where your panels are extended one draw back is its like sanding concrete so only use what's needed to cover it.

Attachments

• shopping.png
    shopping.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 1
  • shopping (1).png
    shopping (1).png
    20 KB · Views: 1

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Roger, regular body filler does not hold up well under welded seams it like's to crack as the seam can have different expansion rates, try one of these fillers i have used both for years and they hold up much better. I am using it now on my extended section Just use it over your seams where your panels are extended one draw back is its like sanding concrete so only use what's needed to cover it.
100% agreed on sanding concrete.

POPS52

Precision Fit
Mar 23, 2020
Tome New Mexico
First Name
Roger
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
I know it sucks, but I grind out every bit of any existing body work to uncover the inevitable poorly done work that we all normally find. I'm no Marcus, so I am familiar with the Bondo salesman! It may have a little more than acceptable in a pro shop, but at least the welding repairs are done correctly when I'm finished and will last many years.

I just noticed that your 3rd door opens at the front. I love that! Reminds me of a Lincoln...........
That's my way of handling this project too. The metal work on it is basically pretty good.
Just a couple of spots that he quit too quick before the bondo.

There isn't very many people around that can accomplish the high degree of excellence that Marcus achieves and I'm not one of them either.

Thanks on the suicide style door. It will make it easier for my bird dogs entry.

POPS52

Precision Fit
Mar 23, 2020
Tome New Mexico
First Name
Roger
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
I've used the "All Metal" before and it is certainly strong. But as stated it is hard to finish.