Willa Dean's Next Adventure

I was wondering if the W-O designation might have originally stood for Willys-Overland, but it appears a number of vehicles from that era used it.
I was digging for some manuals and using the Willys service manual, then found some Carter stuff, and found my initial post about how the details were beyond amazing on these old hand drawn details, and it kinda all clicked when the paragraphs in the Carter books were identical to the Willys book, and it was like a no brainer.

Willys would never have to reproduce their own stuff for the buy out parts like the Carter carbs, all of that stuff in the book appears to be from the Carter books.

So even when looking at Willys historical documents and manuals, it's really a mix of other MFG manuals and drawings. Which would have saved a ton of workload for the individual MFG using these carbs.

Also found there are WO, W-O, W-0 no different then our Willys stuff "reply hazy" from the Carter magic 8 ball.

And as @Scoutpilot eluded to in my search to figure out exactly what model I have some disassembly is required.

On the 636S model, where the bowl meets the throttle, there is a short vent tube that passes through the insulator, and both gaskets and fits into a port in the throttle top. The SA does not have the tube utilizing the space provided by the holes in the gaskets and insulator as the vent port.

I took a quick look. I've got a copy of a Carb book from the Toledo Public Library from 1937.
Since it shows that in 1937 the Carter W-1 284S, W1-309 was for Hudson, and W1-305 was Pontiac

The Willys 37 used a Tillotson D-1-D.

So I doubt that W-O or W-0 stood for Willys Overland.

Nor much luck, it seems like the physical pedal does not have enough throw with this set up.

I have 3 linkages and hard to say what's exactly wrong here or why.

If there is one area that could benefit from some nice hiem joints and bushings this entire set up would be it.

Will get it figured out.

AS FOUND looks like the casting is the full throttle and its short as is.

I also think flipping this linkage to come from the other side a I think it could bind as is.

20240407_135712.jpg

Here is the Parts Truck
20240407_145308.jpg

Flipping and adjusting you pretty much get the same thing. That's how I came up with there is just not enough throw here to make a big difference still short.

20240407_151935.jpg

Had one of those moments this AM while enjoying the morning. Did I forget to put the air horn back on Willa Dean prior to my ride on Sunday........ I know I popped it off l, they are not easily removed as the entire assembly is bolted to the head, but they can be swung out of the way a bit.

But short answer is NO, it was safely installed pre trip.

Check, double check, drive, two days later, doubt you checked it all, check, double check. It's still cold here in the 30's again this AM, should have worn a coat out there.

20240409_062951.jpg

Also we had that Solar Eclipse yesterday so maybe that was the cause, I think this is #12 shade welding glass, the old school rectangle piece.

We were not in the 100% range, it was maybe 90% from.the map, but it did get fully covered, I just did not have the glass at the time to take another pic. We watched for a little bit at the shop.

20240408_151708.jpg

Good call, I probably need to air them down for sure was not running 25 on those.

Hope to try it out tomorrow supposed to be nice.

My plan is to run Old Mine Rd soon, not really all 100 some odd miles maybe 40 or 50, it's in a State / National Rec area close by. It closes at somepoint so need to get on that.

Guess I need to look at this trip!

Parts of Old Mine Road, the north-south route on the New Jersey side of Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, will be closed beginning this spring and into next year.

Was going to head over to this route later this month, maybe I do it next week.

Tim. You hit with a shrink gun? Looks like you could hardly get in :cool:
Too many snacks I guess.

The concrete can be cold so I have 3 layers on, can use that excuse!

I also highly recommend anyone looking for a Truck needs to sit and drive one if never have before.

That extended cab project makes a lot of extra room for folks!

Back