May 3, 2017
Texas
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
The old 134 hurricane has so many issues I'm wondering if I'd be better off looking for a replacement. I haven't had much success finding a replacement which will fit the bolt pattern or the space available in the 1959 model of the CJ5. Ideas?

I don't believe you will find another engine other than a willys L/F134 that will fit that bell housing.

You can change the bell housing to the one used in the flat head 226 and the OHC-230 wagons and trucks, replace your T90 input shaft from the shorter one to the longer one and pick up an adapter from Novak and the world of Chevy v8's and v6's opens up to you. Used Chevy Vortec v6's are available and cheap. T90 is marginal for even a mild V8, but it is often done.

Another popular swap is to go with a Dauntless V6. It was actually used for a few years by Jeep in the CJ5, so you know installation parts are available.

Good replies. Thanks.

I now have a stuck clutch and it looks like I need to pull the engine to get at it. Is this correct?

It would make it easier to replace the brake system anyway, but what a project this is going to be.

You will find the 140-250 cuin series of Ford engines is not an easy swap into any CJ until they went to the later long nose. I have a buddy who's sister has one and they had to alter both the firewall a lot and go so far as using an electric fan and shoving the Radiator right up to the grill.

Ford Pinto/Ranger 4 cylinder. Find an old Novak adapter or have one made.

Back