Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I finished up the bikini top for the 3 over the last few days.

Once I had the piece sewn for the channel in the windshield, I test fitted the top fabric to the widdshield and marked where they two would sew together

Here's the bead piece pinned to the top piece, ready to sew

I added a couple of snaps on the corners. The snaps were already there on the windshield frame.

I bought a couple of cinch straps with metal buckles to use for the rear tie down straps. I put them around the hoop and footman loops to figure out where they would be when the fabric is pulled tight to the tub.

For the rear piece of fabric, I sewed a seam along the hoop, to get the right angle in the fabric around the corners of the hoop. Here's the front section finished, and held in place to the straps with vice grips to check the fit.

I used a pencil to draw the shape of the cutout on the rear piece of canvas, between the straps.

And here's the finished product, with the straps sewn on to the canvas.

Happy with the way it turned out.

There's a few wrinkles in the canvas that won't pull out, but that's ok, for a quick and dirty summer top.

I also mounted a Jerry can I found on the local facebook market place, and spare tire from my wagon, behind the driver's seat. I decided I didn't want them hanging on the tail gate, since we will be wheeling this in Moab and don't want to come off of a step and mash something.

Another rear view of the top.

In hindsite, I would have made the hoop taller, so that when down it would wrap the back of the tub better, and I may make another taller one for this reason at some point. In order to stand the spare tire behind the seat, the hoop needs to tuck as far back as possible for the tire to fit. For now, I have to remove the bolts that hold the hoop onto the brackets, and tuck it down in side the tub. The spreader bar conveniently mounts to the tail gate through an existing hole for the bolt and wing nut.

Pete

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The engine us running at 190 degrees, according to the temp gauge. Not sure how accurate the gauge is, but I assumed that the thermostate was a 190. I decided to change it to a 160, and promptly snapped two of the bolts that hold the thermostat housing to the head...

I soaked the broken bolts in a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF overnight, which worked well enough to get the housing off of the broken bolts.

I then heated the bolts with a propane torch till hot, and then melted a candle on them, letting the wax suck down into the threads.

The wax seemed to help, and I was able to wiggle them back and forth to get them loose, and then twist them out with vice grips.

I reinstalled the new thermostat with a new gasket, and let it sit overnight before starting. I had hosed off the engine, and there were still puddles of water in the spark plug recesses, and when I started it up, I noticed that all four of the plugs were leaking compression... blowing bubbles in the water.

The plugs were old and crusty and had been pulled and reinstalled who knows how many times, so I replaced them with a new set to get them to seal.

Also bought a new gas gauge and sender. The old gauge is 6v, and the sender was dead and leaking fuel around the seal. Joseph pulled it apart earlier, and tried to get it to work, but it was beyond repair.

I installed the new parts, and it works. I don't like the new look of the gauge though, so thinking about making a 12v-6v voltage reducer to use the old gauge which seems to work, so that it looks right along side the other crusty gauges on the dash.

I still have a few things on my list of to-do's before Friday, when I'll be headed south to Moab for the weekend to wheel with Grandpa's Jeep, Bam Bam, Johnny Geep, and a hand full of other guys who are on their way to the Colorado Fall Color Tour. Should be fun, can't wait...

Pete

KA8UDS

Bigger Hammer
All-Star
Dec 2, 2019
North Bloomfield, Ohio
First Name
Ron
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The engine us running at 190 degrees, according to the temp gauge. Not sure how accurate the gauge is, but I assumed that the thermostate was a 190. I decided to change it to a 160, and promptly snapped two of the bolts that hold the thermostat housing to the head...

I soaked the broken bolts in a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF overnight, which worked well enough to get the housing off of the broken bolts.

I then heated the bolts with a propane torch till hot, and then melted a candle on them, letting the wax suck down into the threads.

The wax seemed to help, and I was able to wiggle them back and forth to get them loose, and then twist them out with vice grips.

I reinstalled the new thermostat with a new gasket, and let it sit overnight before starting. I had hosed off the engine, and there were still puddles of water in the spark plug recesses, and when I started it up, I noticed that all four of the plugs were leaking compression... blowing bubbles in the water.

The plugs were old and crusty and had been pulled and reinstalled who knows how many times, so I replaced them with a new set to get them to seal.

Also bought a new gas gauge and sender. The old gauge is 6v, and the sender was dead and leaking fuel around the seal. Joseph pulled it apart earlier, and tried to get it to work, but it was beyond repair.

I installed the new parts, and it works. I don't like the new look of the gauge though, so thinking about making a 12v-6v voltage reducer to use the old gauge which seems to work, so that it looks right along side the other crusty gauges on the dash.

I still have a few things on my list of to-do's before Friday, when I'll be headed south to Moab for the weekend to wheel with Grandpa's Jeep, Bam Bam, Johnny Geep, and a hand full of other guys who are on their way to the Colorado Fall Color Tour. Should be fun, can't wait...

Pete

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joseph
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I think you will experience people asking you where they can buy that top Pete. It looks that good!

Regarding the 'stat, good ol' hot wrench works every time for loosening stubborn fasteners.