Little more help please?

Kelly,
Don't be too concerned about this information, 'cause you apparently have a title that some motor vehicle department issued, and that is absolutely the most important thing!

While it would be nice to figure out which side of the "introduction of the Tornado changes" your truck was produced (a couple of good photos of the engine compartment side of the middle of the firewall would be helpful for this), so much part, body and frame swapping by previous caretakers has occurred with these trucks over the years that pinning down the precise date of manufacture is not all that important.

Something -- at least to me -- seems a bit odd about the suffix of your serial number: too many (six) digits.

There really isn't all that much information currently available for the serial number suffix sequences of the 1962 models.

Tables are available to look up the 1961 model year, and the '63, '64 and '65:

1715776220082.png

1715776706958.png

All of the suffixes for these are only 5 digits long.

There should be another frame stamping on the top of the passenger frame rail near the rise just in front of the rear axle.
Here's where it's located on the FC-170 frame, and it is likely similarly located on the pickup frames:

1715778162972.png

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah I was seeing the same thing - everything seems to show 5 digits for serial numbers, I couldn't match mine to any of the lists I saw so far. Started talking with Kaiser WIlly directly to see what all they can tell me. So far they have just confirmed that it is in fact a '63. Past that just waiting for a few more suspension pieces so we can finish the steering/suspension update.
Kelly,
Don't be too concerned about this information, 'cause you apparently have a title that some motor vehicle department issued, and that is absolutely the most important thing!

While it would be nice to figure out which side of the "introduction of the Tornado changes" your truck was produced (a couple of good photos of the engine compartment side of the middle of the firewall would be helpful for this), so much part, body and frame swapping by previous caretakers has occurred with these trucks over the years that pinning down the precise date of manufacture is not all that important.

Something -- at least to me -- seems a bit odd about the suffix of your serial number: too many (six) digits.

There really isn't all that much information currently available for the serial number suffix sequences of the 1962 models.

Tables are available to look up the 1961 model year, and the '63, '64 and '65:

View attachment 164413

View attachment 164414

All of the suffixes for these are only 5 digits long.

There should be another frame stamping on the top of the passenger frame rail near the rise just in front of the rear axle.
Here's where it's located on the FC-170 frame, and it is likely similarly located on the pickup frames:

View attachment 164415

Looking at the pictures I can tell a few things: the cab and frame are from a Tornado truck, which makes it ‘62 1/2 or newer. But stuff including the serial number does not match, and someone has mixed and matched components.

The telltales are the recess in the firewall for the bigger cylinder head on the Tornado engine makes it a Tornado cab. Also makes it easier to install a SBC with the rear mounted distributor.

The frame has the welded-in tube on the Tornado frame to support the steering bellcrank, but it has been removed and the older steering installed.

It also has the unique Tornado-only front axle bumpstop, but installed on the wrong side. The one in the picture shown on the driver’s side is actually supposed to be on the passenger side, and there is supposed to be another special one with a spacer that has an additional steel stop to protect the steering link that went under there with the bell crank. Not necessary with the older steering.

Next item is the 55268 in the serial number means a 226 engine, not the Tornado, so it does not match the cab and frame. And 753000 is one too many digits in the sequential number, it should have 5. They never made 3/4 of a million of these things. The sequential number looks stampeded almost looks like an extra number has been added. My plates have the sequential numbers embossed (is that the right word?) like the 55268 on yours. 55268 was supposed to have stopped in ‘62, but it may have been registered as a ‘63.

Unless it was some hybrid of leftover parts the factory put together. You never know, but I doubt it.

Regardless, the conventional up-to-‘62 1/2 pitman arm should work.

Looking at the pictures I can tell a few things: the cab and frame are from a Tornado truck, which makes it ‘62 1/2 or newer. But stuff including the serial number does not match, and someone has mixed and matched components.

The telltales are the recess in the firewall for the bigger cylinder head on the Tornado engine makes it a Tornado cab. Also makes it easier to install a SBC with the rear mounted distributor.

The frame has the welded-in tube on the Tornado frame to support the steering bellcrank, but it has been removed and the older steering installed.

It also has the unique Tornado-only front axle bumpstop, but installed on the wrong side. The one in the picture shown on the driver’s side is actually supposed to be on the passenger side, and there is supposed to be another special one with a spacer that has an additional steel stop to protect the steering link that went under there with the bell crank. Not necessary with the older steering.

Next item is the 55268 in the serial number means a 226 engine, not the Tornado, so it does not match the cab and frame. And 753000 is one too many digits in the sequential number, it should have 5. They never made 3/4 of a million of these things. The sequential number looks stampeded almost looks like an extra number has been added. My plates have the sequential numbers embossed (is that the right word?) like the 55268 on yours. 55268 was supposed to have stopped in ‘62, but it may have been registered as a ‘63.

Unless it was some hybrid of leftover parts the factory put together. You never know, but I doubt it.

Regardless, the conventional up-to-‘62 1/2 pitman arm should work.
yeah .. waiting for the tornado parts to show up, but the willys people took the 6 digit serial number and confirmed it to be a '63 .. so I dunno .. it does sort of look like the number stamped on the front frame from what I can tell .. I'll check the back when I can .. I just don't see the last 0 so far.

yeah .. waiting for the tornado parts to show up, but the Willys people took the 6 digit serial number and confirmed it to be a '63 .. so I dunno .. it does sort of look like the number stamped on the front frame from what I can tell .. I'll check the back when I can .. I just don't see the last 0 so far.
To quote Kaiser-Willys today:

Yes, looks like it would be a 63 from my chart, Should have 6-226 engine, T90 transmission, D18 transfercase

Maybe it is some sort of hybrid. The Willys America book has sequential numbers ending in 74600 for 1962, where it was supposed to change to Tornado on May 3, prefix 55278 and sequential number starting at 10001.

Maybe they made a few more 226 trucks using whatever they had. Which would make that number one of the very last 226 powered trucks; equipped with a smattering of Tornado intended parts.

Hi Ken. Where are you seeing the bell crank tube? I've blown up the photo in post #34 taken from above and I am not seeing what you are seeing. Also, I can't confirm the firewall is from a 230 vehicle. It looks like some kind of recess is there, but doesn't look quite right, especially above and to the right side. That is why I said it was a pre-1962 1/2.

I didn't now about the bump stop. Good call. I will check the parts book.

Second picture in post 24, very top. Pretty sure that is the tube without a bell crank in it.

Yeah I don't see it in post 34 but think it is hidden by the rad. Here is a pic of the 2 frames, the Tornado on top. You can also see the trimming of the welded flange behind the tube to allow access to the Tornado oil pump.

The top frame was rotted out, and the 226 frame is decent. So now the tube and Tornado engine mounts are welded in the lower frame.
Willys crossmember.jpg

Maybe your eyes are better than mine .. can't make out the frame number but a few digits, but I think they match? Maybe 753000

I am seeing five digits on the frame, and six on the tag. Also, it appears that someone over-stamped the serial number portion of the tag at some point.

Compare the font and impression style of the model number to that of the serial number, and note that the ghost of the same font is visible behind the newer serial number stamping. Also note that the last zero in the serial number has no ghost behind it.

My guess would be that someone had to add a digit at some point in the truck's history to get it titled. Before 1981, there was no mandated standard for VIN numbers, but I have read that 11 digits was one of the more common conventions.

This theory would reconcile the serial number... if 1961 production ended at 68660, it would make sense that 75300 was 1962 or 1963.

Wow, I love watching you guys go through all of the details, and hope I'm learning a lot. I got more pictures for you all today. Including the serial number from the back of the frame (never saw either of the frame numbers before this) and again, I'm not seeing the last zero so you might be spot on. You all are seeing a lot I never would have without you

Attachments

• IMG_20240515_162224814.jpg
    IMG_20240515_162224814.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240515_162125555.jpg
    IMG_20240515_162125555.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240515_162208138.jpg
    IMG_20240515_162208138.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240515_162215289.jpg
    IMG_20240515_162215289.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240515_162259572.jpg
    IMG_20240515_162259572.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 20
Tim is right on the cab, it does not look quite right, especially on the right side.

Any chance this was specialty vehicle, USFS, emergency, something like that? Or some other country in its history? Otherwise it seems like the body numbers are more likely than the plate. Not that it matters as it is registered. just very interesting.

Back