226 HP Stats

I was comparing flatheads to flatheads so let's put the 230 Tornado up against the other OHV engines from the '60s. Like the Chevy 216, Ford 300, and the Dodge slant 6. I believe Pontiac had a similar engine as the Tornado, I might toss that in as well.

That's a flathead? I thought for sure it was a photo of the hydro electric turbines @ the Hoover Dam. Talk about BIG ideas! Just a joy to behold and dream about that much power on demand...Superb! How amazing is Bill's blown 226? Well compare it to this:
H&H near me will sell you a blown Ford flathead of 296 cu. in. that is reliable making only 250 hp and 330 lb. ft. of torque... And
remember, engine builders have been hopping up the Ford V8 flattie for over 80 years... What Bill has done is truely amazing..

Last edited:
And now for some 1960's OHV inline 6 action. The 60s have a lot more variations under each manufacturer so I tried to use the best engine of that time period that was in the 200 ci class. Compression comes into play in the 60's . The bore and stroke for a lot of these engines is a lot more square. Seems like we are moving out of the tractor engine era and into what we think of as a modern engine.

The overhead cam versions showed so much potential, but everything I read was both engines were rushed into production, and oiling issues ( later fixed) gave them bad reputations and delayed mainstream OHC engines in the U.S. brands. The repair / and maintenance support wasn't out there as well.. A lot of these engines were ruined by lack of training. Anyway. Here you go. Again, just stuff I found out there in the public domain. If any corrections need to be made let me know.

HP and torque numbers:
1613148765069.png
HP & Torque per Ci. The Willys falls behind and the only reason I can figure is its much lower compression than the other 60's era engeins.
1613149085205.png

Back