Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
A great turnout this year for the 14th Annual Willys Rally in Moab.

I headed out Thursday morning with Barnacle Will in tow, and met up with @Dimmwatt near the Idaho Ut border.

EMRL9034.jpeg

Stopped for a lunch break in Helper UT
IMG_5486.jpeg

On Friday, we decided to run Hell's Revenge with Bam Bam (Jeff Petrovich) before everyone started showing up for the Rally.
IMG_5488.jpeg

IMG_5489.jpeg

IMG_5490.jpeg

IMG_5492.jpeg

IMG_5496.jpeg

IMG_5498.jpeg

IMG_5501.jpeg

Casey had a little pucker on the way up the staircase, when his passenger rear dropped in a hole... We stood on the driver's running board and he was able to drive out of it, no damage.
IMG_5502.jpeg

IMG_5503.jpeg

Friday evening, everyone started to arrive and park in the upper lot at the Red Cliff's Lodge
IMG_5508.jpeg

Saturday morning, everyone gathered on the lawn for breakfast and a driver's meeting. We headed out to Porcupine Rim and Fins and Things for the day's trail ride.
IMG_5516.jpeg

Here's the lineup for the trail ride on Saturday-
IMG_5522.jpeg

IMG_5523.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5527.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

IMG_5529.jpeg

IMG_5530.jpeg

IMG_5531.jpeg

IMG_5532.jpeg

IMG_5533.jpeg

IMG_5534.jpeg

IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5536.jpeg

IMG_5537.jpeg

A few had overheating issues along the way, but most made it to the overlook at Porcupine Rim campground. The view overlooking Castle Valley is spectacular, on the edge of a 1000' cliff face to make you pucker a bit...
IMG_5551.jpeg

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_5553.jpeg

IMG_5554.jpeg

IMG_5555.jpeg

IMG_5560.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg

After lunch, a handfull of the adventurous took the second half of Finns and Things trail on the way out.
IMG_5567.jpeg

IMG_5568.jpeg

IMG_5569.jpeg

Once back the Lodge, a nice catered dinner, raffle, and bonfire with smores.

Sunday morning, the group split into two, with about half taking the Onion Creek mild trail, and the other half taking the trail out to Cave Springs and the Cowboy Caves.

IMG_5575.jpeg

IMG_5577.jpeg

IMG_5578.jpeg

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_5581.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

IMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

IMG_5588.jpeg

The folks that were staying Sunday night met up for a no-host dinner at the Red Cliffs dining room for a dinner farewell.

Already looking forward to the next one, hope you-all can make it too.

Pete

Went to the rally this year for the first time, it was amazing! Thanks to Casey, Pete, and team it’s a top notch event! What a hoot running down the road with 30 Willys vehicles, it turns a lot of heads and you get a lot of thumbs ups. Special thanks to Larry and Brook for giving me a ride, great to meet you! My Willys wagon is still without brakes, so I couldn’t take it this year, but I will next year! Thanks for a great time and great memories.

I sure do enjoy looking all those pictures. We vacationed there last September and had lunch at Red Cliffs Lodge. Our first time out that way. Did you have awards for the farthest attendee and farthest who drove their Willys there?
We've done farthest awards in the past, but didn't this year. For the last three years in a row, the farthest attendee was from Costa Rica. Next year he plans to ship his Willys pickup to the states and drive it to the event from California.

The only two people that i know for a fact drove their Willys to the Rally this year are Casey D. and myself.....have been others in years past...i think one year someone showed up driving from N.M....

but the last 4 years i have been going ... i have always driven my 51 Willys truck up from Phoenix AZ...some 500 miles ....

Casey D. just edges me out driving his wagon 590 miles from Nampa ID........which is little better than driving the previous 737 miles from Long Beach Ca.

Larry

Ok @Stakebed I’m going to start planning now to go next year. I expect you to have your wagon ready to go.
My wagon is lacking some paint, no engine, no transmission, no transfer case, no driveshafts, very little wiring, no front sheet metal installed, no lights, no interior and one year to go. Yeah, that's what I thought too. Not a problem.

The only two people that i know for a fact drove their Willys to the Rally this year are Casey D. and myself.....have been others in years past...i think one year someone showed up driving from N.M....

but the last 4 years i have been going ... i have always driven my 51 Willys truck up from Phoenix AZ...some 500 miles ....

Casey D. just edges me out driving his wagon 590 miles from Nampa ID........which is little better than driving the previous 737 miles from Long Beach Ca.

Larry
Um, I drove from "The OC"in '19... And you were there and saw me. So what if I was in a bigass van; still did fins n things!

Back