Finish Line in sight for 'Willa Dean'

I’m going to be hitting refresh on New Posts all day long tomorrow! I know this is truly your baby, but you’ve got a big village out there hanging on every update!

good luck. I wish I could be there to see it happen. Tilatoba’s a lucky guy if he gets to participate!

I’m going to be hitting refresh on New Posts all day long tomorrow! I know this is truly your baby, but you’ve got a big village out there hanging on every update!

good luck. I wish I could be there to see it happen. Tilatoba’s a lucky guy if he gets to participate!
I agree. Dale is fortunate to be in person.

So…what’s going on?
Are the guys enjoying a celebratory dinner and raising a glass of something cold after a successful first drive, or are they still frantically trying to overcome some unanticipated obstacle and get Willa Dean across the finish line?
or they're cruising the streets of Medina picking up babes.

OK, I said I'd post more. I'll include some more thrilling videos, too

First of all, it was a really GREAT DAY - the kind that only come around once in a while - far too rare. Sticking a rebuilt engine into an old vehicle - life just doesn't get much better. And it was made FAR better by having the company and the help from two great guys! Me and @Tilatobawillys had set it up yesterday that he was gonna come. He got here, and we were plannig our first steps.

And then we heard a sound we couldn't identify - we thought maybe it was a helicopter going over, low. But we looked outside, and it was @Big Dog Frank pulling in!

Resized_20210725_173238.jpeg

Didn't know he was coming! But it was sure great to have him here, too - a great surprise.

And you know - this was all possible as a result of OldWillysForum - that's what brought us together today.

So around 11, we actually got to work on installing the engine.

Resized_20210725_131440.jpeg

Here's a video as we started "going in." @Stakebed gets mentioned, too!

Getting it started in there of course was just the beginning. Then, inch by inch - lowering, pushing further in, shifting this way or that - study what's happening.... Figuring out that we need to pull off the wiper motor, shift the chains around, things like that.

As such jobs go, it went well enough. Eventually, it's in pretty close to where it needs to be -

And then, as Frank said there, it's time to get under and get the transmission crossmember in place. So lots of "getting under" followed. Me in the middle (at first) -

Resized_20210725_173405.jpeg

Tilatoba working on the side -

Resized_20210725_173427.jpeg

The crossmember fought us a little - getting the bolts to drop in, getting the new rubber mounts lined up right, typical stuff. Eventually we prevailed, of course.

I think about then was when The Bride showed up with lunch. A welcome break.

And eventually we reached that point where it was sitting down resting on the front motor mount pads -

Resized_20210725_173258.jpeg

Looks like Frank ended up under there for a while here, too.

Then we could unhook and pull away the hoist. Followed by a bunch of pushing and pulling - getting dozens of bolts started, then torqued down.

We struggled a little while with the dreaded "clutch control bellcrank shaft," getting that in there.

Frank left after we were in good shape with all that. Tilatoba stuck around a while longer, and we got the Transfer Case shift levers installed through the cab floor. I was really glad that went well - I was afraid I might have had to pull out that hard-earned rubber floor mat! haha. But it was straightforward.

Once Tilatoba took off, I got the oil filter back in place - and finished making the fuel line, with a cut and one last double flare. I'm not thrilled with the result - seems like there's too much stress on the short rubber piece. I'll work on that more later.

Resized_20210725_214251.jpeg

Also got my "lifting eyebolts" pulled off the engine and the normal bolts back in. Installed that weird little cable, that runs from the crossmember to the bellhousing. Parking brake back together, clutch and brake springs back on, etc, etc.

Then broke down the hoist, put a bunch of tools away - and suddenly it was time for dinner.

So Willa Dean's engine is IN. It finally happened!

20210725_193617.jpg

(@indian301 you shoulda got a hold of me - I'd have taken you to dinner, showed you around! Sorry we missed the chance to get together. Next time!)

Looks like tomorrow will be grass mowing day. Again.

Haha, yeah, "don't rush the master...". That's funny. And that's right - I gotta ease into the moment! And it IS gonna take a little while.

Here's the sad truth of the overall situation - the summer's already starting to get away from me.

You see, every year we go to the annual national Chevy Club meet - we tour there together with a small group from our area, driving the old cars.

Resized_20170730_172039.jpeg
This year it's in Lima Ohio, couple hundred miles away, I guess. And going to that event is when I do my annual maintenance and wax and detail the '56 Chevy wagon. Have it ready for a road trip.

AND WE'RE LEAVING ON THURSDAY MORNING!

So I'm pretty much done with Willa Dean adventures for a little while.... I've only got 3 days to do the grass, get the 56 ready, and all the other stuff related to being gone a little while....... And when we get back, it'll suddenly be August already!

I've been pushing to at least have the engine in there before this upcoming little road trip, see.

So looks like the first week in August before I'll get any more real, quality time with Willa Dean.

and THEN - we're talking about maybe taking a semi-major vacation the second half of August. Which would take us up to the beginning of September.....

So about the first 2 weeks of August is probably my window for that "First Drive."

Back