Vintage Willys pictures

Last edited:
By the time all the play had been taken out of all those u-joints on the powered trailer, the rear drive axle of the tractor would have gone 10' already. Seems like these would eventually bind. Im surprised it got as far as this drawing before it got nixed.

While this image doesn't feature a Willys in it the advertising was so unique that I thought it was worth posting. You don't see this kind of creativity anymore.

cd586bb5-160f-493f-a72d-db5f6ec02e78-jpeg.4582353

From CSPIDY's great thread Old Willys Guy:

"The first one is from August 1951 and my oldest brother and sister are shown with it, taken in Atlantic City.
index.php

The second is my oldest brother on his wedding day with me, in the background is the wagon I would get a few years later. Taken August 1, 1964
index.php

The third photo was taken July 25 1953 at Camp Shaw, not (sure where that is) "
index.php

The WWII Jeep was converted by Holden in Australia to become what was known as the "Holden Ambulance". AFAIK only the Marines used them. Aside from the tubular structure that was added to support stretchers, on the passenger side the body was notched and a large medical box replaced the area where the passenger seat would be. In the back on the drivers side a small door was added (using the original sheet metal that was cut from the back of the tub) for the orderly to get in and out. One cool thing about them is that if you have one, then you know it was deployed to the Pacific because the work was done in Australia. I have a friend with two of them. On one of them (not sure about the 2nd one) you can see where the lifting straps left small indents on the tub.

The PO on my MB replaced the tub on mine because of a big square cut on the passenger side. He assumed his wife's grandfather had cut it in, but he could not envision why. Based on that, I think mine was likely originally a Holden Ambulance as well, so I have few reservations putting the USMC motif on it.

I have to make a correction to my above jibberish. I just found a reference to where some were made stateside. Even then, I doubt that few, if any, were not deployed.

Great pic of El Toro, I've been there several times for air shows, etc. and that's a familiar spot. Interesting in that there's a trailer identical to the one in the upper left section that's at a remote property above the ridge from me. And the Studebaker at the right of the circle is the same model my grandfather had.
Of course El Toro is now slowly being assimilated into the Irvine suburbia, with a substaintial part of it being made into "The Great Park".

Very nice Dan. I love this thread. There are a lot of photos on here that all those books out there don't have.

I'm convinced there's one more of those BRC 60's left out there somewhere hidden, and undetected from the general public. The few that know about it dismiss it as one of those dang "cheap jeeps" that you could get for $44.00 thru the U.S govt. In fact those few, who probably have no way of identifying it have no clue what it is. And they probably don't care, hate to say. Most never threw these "little ones" away, they just keep rebuilding them or they just sit and rot for some reason.

I've run across a lot of Willys that are desirable, in the "backwoods", these are just sitting rotting away and the owners have no intention of parting with them, they just like looking at them, and want to keep it just for that reason. The EASIEST and FASTEST way today to locate an early Jeep just like you want as far as "looks" go, is to drive one around that looks like the Jeep you want. Driving almost any old "little" flat fender could lead you to a Bantam, or any other "little" early model. Just like driving a Willys Wagon or Truck around, that's the fastest way to know where another one is sitting.

When people see any of these rigs in public today, they all come up and let you know it seems when they know where one is sitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back