Winston's 1961 truck Build

I have an extra tailgate you can have if you want. It doesn't have the W on it, but it's yours if you want.

Got any pictures of it? If it's in good shape, would be interested

Winston

Thought I would also post some pics of the original blocks for the gas tank, as these are
the originals, and seem to still be in good shape. I sanded with 100 grit sandpaper, and
the treated with Watco oil, to make them waterproof, and last another 50 years, then
will put them back with new stainless bolts and nuts with new plastic tank. They seemed
to be coated with either creocite, or maybe they were just dark from 50+ years of dirt & mud.

Winston

20170818_092721.jpg20170818_092749.jpg

So have been de rusting the frame, and hopefully don't have to do that anytime again soon. Think I would rather be hit with a 2 X 4 than do that again. Finally got the frame cleaned and treated for rust, then primed with red oxide primer (2 coats), then 2 coats of semi gloss black. Tomorrow will install plastic gas tank, and get new sending unit installed with new fittings from old tank, so can thread in new lines to tank, instead of attaching tubing. Once I get the tank in, will fire it up and install new pertronix unit in distributor.

Winston

20170821_164214.jpg20170821_164302.jpg20170821_170832.jpg20170821_170856.jpg20170821_181903.jpg20170821_181935.jpg20170821_182030.jpg20170821_182331.jpg

That's looking so good Winston! I'm about 2 weeks away from doing the exact same thing to mine. Any advice or suggestions? What product did you use for the rust?

Mainly wire wheel brushed it with a wire brush cup on my metal grinder, and also got a multipack(different size brushes)
for the drill. Used both to get in and on the inside of the frame to brush off most of the heavy rust. Then used the rust dissolving
gel from Eastwood. Just brush it on, and let it soak on the metal for several hours, then wash off, dry, and start priming.
I would highly recommend using the red oxide primer, as it will protect the metal better than any other primer. As for the
paint, any good exterior metal black paint will work, but would get a good name brand like eastwoods frame paint, or some
heavy duty paint, in either semi gloss, or flat, whichever you prefer.

Winston

I actually like the tailgate. It certainly has character and appears to be functional. Its better than many here. Understand if you are wanting it to look unblemished though. As far as the wood blocks, if it had been soaked in creosote you'd probably still be able to smell it. Good product but cant get it any more that I am aware of. We used it for years on railroad tie ends when cut and on fence posts. But it sure was corrosive to skin. Watco is just linseed oil with a few other proprietary ingredients. It isnt intended for outside use in spite of what might be said as "exterior". Since it isnt going to be seen, you might consider a petroleum based soak and coat. I use undercoating diluted in gasoline to make it thin enough to soak in. Once dried I use the undiluted coating. It'll stick and protect better than furniture oil like Watco.

So got the tank mounted today, but couldn't get all the new fuel lines installed. Had a bit of rain that ran me off from the truck, but did manage to get the new flex line hooked up to the fuel pump. The old one didn't have any rubber left up by the brass fitting that goes to the pump, and was probably sucking air. Will get back on the lines tomorrow and get them in, and everything hooked up to the tank. Not sure though, feels like there is still a little movement in the tank. Isn't much, and is almost not noticeable. Just worried if you fill it with gas, the weight might shift it. Might undo one end of straps, and put a rubber liner under each strap to cinch it down. Noticed the old tank had some sort of padding under the straps on the bottom. Anyone got any thought on this?

Winston

20170822_182802.jpg20170822_182813.jpg20170822_182836.jpg

So got the tank mounted today, but couldn't get all the new fuel lines installed. Had a bit of rain that ran me off from the truck, but did manage to get the new flex line hooked up to the fuel pump. The old one didn't have any rubber left up by the brass fitting that goes to the pump, and was probably sucking air. Will get back on the lines tomorrow and get them in, and everything hooked up to the tank. Not sure though, feels like there is still a little movement in the tank. Isn't much, and is almost not noticeable. Just worried if you fill it with gas, the weight might shift it. Might undo one end of straps, and put a rubber liner under each strap to cinch it down. Noticed the old tank had some sort of padding under the straps on the bottom. Anyone got any thought on this?

Winston

View attachment 38916View attachment 38917View attachment 38918

I believe I replaced the rubber on my straps with inner tube rubber.

Eric...thanks for the picture. Did you just do top, or did you do both upper and bottom straps? Think I will do that, just to make sure it is locked in. Also got another dilemma...the original brass fitting that the fuel line screws into on the tank, was was 5/16", then necked down to I believe 1/4"with the pickup tube going into tank. The plastic tank has 5/16" threads on bottom and barb on top. Have to replace that, and thought would be no problem, but found out, 5/16" brass fittings are like chickens teeth...hard to find. Was thinking to use original fitting with a reducer from 1/4" to 5/16" screwed on, and just solder pickup tube into bottom of reducer? Anybody dealt with, and if so, what fittings did you use?

Winston

20170823_093953.jpg20170824_095514.jpg

I had originally thought to use 5/16" brake line fitting,cut to attach a rubber section. But then decided to go the AN type fittings route and use nylon braided line.

Eric...thanks for the picture. Did you just do top, or did you do both upper and bottom straps? Think I will do that, just to make sure it is locked in. Also got another dilemma...the original brass fitting that the fuel line screws into on the tank, was was 5/16", then necked down to I believe 1/4"with the pickup tube going into tank. The plastic tank has 5/16" threads on bottom and barb on top. Have to replace that, and thought would be no problem, but found out, 5/16" brass fittings are like chickens teeth...hard to find. Was thinking to use original fitting with a reducer from 1/4" to 5/16" screwed on, and just solder pickup tube into bottom of reducer? Anybody dealt with, and if so, what fittings did you use?

Winston

View attachment 38928View attachment 38929

My truck original configuration didn't have a strap over the top. Just two on the bottom. With the lip of the tank being bolted to the frame with two bolts at the front and one at the rear, its pretty solid.

Been away a little while, am also in the middle of remodeling the house...joy, oh joy! Finally got the E3 plugs in, and just received the Pertronix ignitor unit for my truck. The correct unit for the distributor with the 226 motor depends on your distributor, but the unit is the #2561ignitor from pertronix. It will fit a variety of distributors 4416, 4404, 4403, and works for all these models. It is for a 12 system and should work great. I also got with it, their #40511 flame thrower coil, 40,000 volts to make sure unit gets plenty of spark. These combination should work well, as several here are running this setup, and getting better and more dependable starts, better gas mileage, and smoother driving and dependability. Once I get the units in, and dialed in, will keep all informed how the perform.

Winston

20171003_110217.jpg
20171003_104625.jpg20171003_104713.jpg20171003_104728.jpg

Finally got the E3 plugs in, and the Pertronix ignitor in. Running like a sewing machine. Made a huge difference, is running smooth and the best it had run to date. Will post some pics shortly. But I do think the combo of the E3 plugs, and the ignitor electronic setup is the way to go. Cranks right up, and runs smooth. I also put on the 40,000 volt coil from pertronix also, and I think these 3 are one of the best things you can add to the 226 motor to make it more dependable, and more of a joy to drive. Will post some pics on here shortly. Will be adding a stainless muffler and new exhaust pipes from Walck's.

Digger...here are the hubs I'm looking for. There Warn brand, and have a shorter profile than the new ones.
Their 10 spline, and no worries if a little dirty, just as long as their not beat up to bad.

Winston

Willys 10 spline1.jpg Willys10spline2.jpgWillys10spline3.jpg

Those hubs don't look too bad Winston. A little spit and polish,new bolts and gasket kit and they'd look killer.

Unfortunately those aren't my hubs. If I had them, would probably rebuild them, but just got pics off ebay. Want to see if Digger had any, and couldn't post pics (again), so just posted pics here as an example of what I was looking for. Mine doesn't have any hubs on it now, is full time, and I want an origina set. Can get newer ones, but they have a taller profile, and not period correct. If Diggers got some, will get a rebuild kit, and spit and polish.

Winston

Last edited:
Back