May 8, 2020
Klamath Falls, Or
First Name
Penny
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
I thought I would let everyone know about a supplier that might be helpful to some of you out there who are looking for old Willys parts. there is a place in Toledo Oregon called Willys Restoration. If you google it, it will come up as an upholstery restoration place, but that’s not what it is. Our son lives nearby and told me about it, and I found a rare, perfectly straight front bumper for my pick up.
His number is- (541) 336-5869. Here are some pictures our son took while he was there picking up the bumper for us.

Attachments

• IMG_3914.jpeg
    IMG_3914.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3915.jpeg
    IMG_3915.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 65
Thank you @Penny for the tip and reminder of the business.
I had to look up Toledo, Oregon, and my wife was just thru there with our two daughters last month. at a "girls" time-out stay-over in Flourence.
Toledo lies between Flourence and Corvallis, closer to Flourence and south of hwy. Population of 3.400.

Glad you found a bumper, I'm nowhere near being able to let mine go (it's going to be the substitute while I have my original re-done)
Looking forward to pics...

Glad you found a bumper, I'm nowhere near being able to let mine go (it's going to be the substitute while I have my original re-done)
Looking forward to pics...
Thanks for the follow up. I figured you had a change of plans. How was the trip to the desert?

Here’s the one I got. Taking it to the chrome shop in Oregon City this week. I got the one on the left.
I’ve stopped in at Willys Restoration a couple of times. It’s pretty much chaos so I’m glad you found what you needed. Which chrome shop do you use in Oregon City? I’m across the river in West Linn.

Yes, that is just a few miles south of Siletz. I worked on a logging crew out of Siletz. We had our logs hauled to Valsetz & our cedar shake bolts to the Weather Shed shake mill in Lincoln City. I ended up working in the shake mill for a spell.

That shop sounds like my kind of place. Next time I visit friends & relatives in Oregon, I will make it a point to stop by.

I’ve stopped in at Willys Restoration a couple of times. It’s pretty much chaos so I’m glad you found what you needed. Which chrome shop do you use in Oregon City? I’m across the river in West Linn.
We are using them for the first time-Star Bright Finishes. I called and talked to the guy, and my husband approved of the for 3 step process.

We are using them for the first time-Star Bright Finishes. I called and talked to the guy, and my husband approved of the for 3 step process.
Our son lives in Corvallis so we are going for Mother’s Day weekend and dropping off the bumper at the chrome shop at the same time. He picked it up for me at Willy’s Restoration place so we haven’t been there yet. The price I got was amazing I think. $100 for a straight bumper? Of course the plating is the big cost.

Our son lives in Corvallis so we are going for Mother’s Day weekend and dropping off the bumper at the chrome shop at the same time. He picked it up for me at Willy’s Restoration place so we haven’t been there yet. The price I got was amazing I think. $100 for a straight bumper? Of course the plating is the big cost.
Plating isn't cheap, but some shops will offer different grades. Generally "show" is the brightest and best, usually a triple finish plate with polish in between. Of course that's the most expensive. Be sure to ask them about grades and pricing as it's not unusual for some shops to quote one price and it's most likely to be the highest.
There is what I call "driver" chrome, generally just one layer of hex chrome and a quick polish. Looks fine by itself but if put next to a multi layered chrome, you can see the copper hue. It'll last for years if kept clean and waxed.
From what I understand, most factory chrome was multi-layer. It's a lot easier and cheaper when you're plating thousands of the same piece and they can be mechanically polished. But even that eventually lets go, my grille bars have bubbles that will rust if I don't keep them waxed (most chrome/metal polishes have wax) but for 60+ year old chrome I ain't complainin'

Seems like a good price (repop painted go for 175) especially if it's a true front bumper, which will have the 2 notches for the over-rider set-up.
I saw bolts in the pic; did you get brackets as well? if so that's a great price!

Plating isn't cheap, but some shops will offer different grades. Generally "show" is the brightest and best, usually a triple finish plate with polish in between. Of course that's the most expensive. Be sure to ask them about grades and pricing as it's not unusual for some shops to quote one price and it's most likely to be the highest.
There is what I call "driver" chrome, generally just one layer of hex chrome and a quick polish. Looks fine by itself but if put next to a multi layered chrome, you can see the copper hue. It'll last for years if kept clean and waxed.
From what I understand, most factory chrome was multi-layer. It's a lot easier and cheaper when you're plating thousands of the same piece and they can be mechanically polished. But even that eventually lets go, my grille bars have bubbles that will rust if I don't keep them waxed (most chrome/metal polishes have wax) but for 60+ year old chrome I ain't complainin'

Seems like a good price (repop painted go for 175) especially if it's a true front bumper, which will have the 2 notches for the over-rider set-up.
I saw bolts in the pic; did you get brackets as well? if so that's a great price!
I got brackets and bumper for $150

So where exactly will the notches be? If they aren’t there what does that mean?

Back