Well the build of a new MB diesel has started...

WA7OPY

Well Oiled
Aug 1, 2019
Missoula, mt
First Name
Phil
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1947
Well the build has started after 2 years, flywheel and bell housing ring started life as a 16 inch piece of 2 inch plate. To save money the plate was cut thru and made a 16x13 doughnut and a 12 inch drop for the flywheel, not a easy thing to do but it is done. The bell-housing is round so I machined a bolt up ring to weld the rest of the bell housing to. It going to take a while but the first step is making the engine, clutch and trany into one working piece.The engine is a c240 Isuzu non epa, 75 hp just slightly larger than the L134 willys and about the same weight...PhilDSCN0541.JPGDSCN0542.JPGDSCN0544.JPGDSCN0543.JPGDSCN0545.JPG

Last edited:
Not much to report, spent 2 days finding all the parts to make the lathe run, was missing the toolpost (the thing that holds the cutters) had to make parts for that, but did rough turn and face the new steel flywheel...Phil

Well some thing got done, the 80lb clutch face is all machined and fits,. There is zero run out ( a hour of cussing and throwing tools). Bolts will fit but going to be tight, I use a 10.375 clutch from a 258 and a 6304 2rs bearing for the input shaft. The whole rotating assembly hits in at 125 lbs, so lots of low end grunt at top rpm is <4000 rpm, now 3 more days to mount a 16 inch 4 jaw on the roto table so I can drill and tap the flywheel and bell housing ring...Phil
DSCN0547.JPGDSCN0549.JPGDSCN0550.JPGDSCN0551.JPG

Got some time to work on the diesel clutch pack for the mb, took 2 days to build/ dial in the roto table for 0 run out, got the flywheel and clutch face drilled with 12 3/8 bolts, and tested for run out and the pressure plate fits. Ends up to be one heavy flywheel. I also got the weld up ring machined for the homemade bell housing. I had to relieve and drill for bolts now as it might not be able to be done later do to the long reach of the tool bits. the back of most diesel engine,s are round with a sae pattern...this one is #4 12 bolts on a 15 inch ring. Next I have to chose tranys t18, t98...the t18 is from a 75 pu but close ratio, t98 is scout deep ratio but wrong input shaft...will net you know...PhilDSCN0552.JPGDSCN0558.JPGDSCN0559.JPGDSCN0560.JPGDSCN0550.JPG

Got some time to work on the diesel clutch pack for the mb, took 2 days to build/ dial in the roto table for 0 run out, got the flywheel and clutch face drilled with 12 3/8 bolts, and tested for run out and the pressure plate fits. Ends up to be one heavy flywheel. I also got the weld up ring machined for the homemade bell housing. I had to relieve and drill for bolts now as it might not be able to be done later do to the long reach of the tool bits. the back of most diesel engine,s are round with a sae pattern...this one is #4 12 bolts on a 15 inch ring. Next I have to chose tranys t18, t98...the t18 is from a 75 pu but close ratio, t98 is scout deep ratio but wrong input shaft...will net you know...PhilView attachment 136552View attachment 136553View attachment 136554View attachment 136555View attachment 136556
Been reading about you being a machinist for years. Good to finally see the results of your experience.

Phil. All I can say is '''WOW! This is a lot of very skilled and time consuming work, but I'm not seeing the big gains. I have to "why"?

Good work Phil, I knew you were a machinist, but I had no idea how big your shop and machine tools were. I'm impressed.
Same thoughts here. Having that equipment and the skill to use it opens all sorts of doors not typically available to us more plebeian types. I suspect this build will work well. 75 diesel hp will likely even get you down the highway at a reasonable speed. Way better than a Kubota V2203. I have the turbo version of that in my Toolcat 5600 and the 84" snow blower most definitely pushes its limits. Not something I want in a Jeep.

The why for the whole project or the why for the flywheel, flywheel is easy you can not buy a flywheel and bell housing and then if you could to fit a T18 lots of luck there ... so you build it or give up a go home. The why of the whole project dont have a good reply for that, I have the best 4 wheeling in the us outside my back door of the mine in Philipsburg, a diesel does not miss a beat even on the steepest rocky trail you are on, and runs a long time on a gal of fuel and I love diesels ( I sold 3 brands and work on all of them). And maybe its I can thing, out in the shed I have a herd of military jeeps most are less than 5000 mi and like the day they left willys, I could use anyone of them, but dont want to tear up such a work of history with the heavy four wheeling. To change anything on the bone stock jeeps would offend the Willy's gods and I like a lot of add on,s, and everything at the mine is diesel anyway. The bigest thing is I am a big guy and dont fit behind a jeep steering wheel, so a cut and add to the body and frame is a must. If you go that far why not better drive-train and engine... you must have a winch where i go as well. If I dont build a longer jeep i dont get to drive a jeep...and i like driving one i feel like I am a 19 year old kid again...Phil:D

Phil, is that a vertical lathe? I haven't seen one of those for probably 40 years. You sure have some nice toys! And forgive me for saying this, but I get the "why" 100%!
Thanks, yes a 36 inch Bullard VTL my dad bought it ww2 surplus in 1948 and had to morgage the home to buy it, when I shut down my shop the only bid on it was 45 bucks/ton, just could not let such a fine machine go to junk so i brought it home. I love to run VTL,s I had 3 in my Big shop largest was a 72 inch cutmaster. I had to remove the 50hp motor and replace it with a 10 so jobs take a little longer now...Phil

Thanks, yes a 36 inch Bullard VTL my dad bought it ww2 surplus in 1948 and had to morgage the home to buy it, when I shut down my shop the only bid on it was 45 bucks/ton, just could not let such a fine machine go to junk so i brought it home. I love to run VTL,s I had 3 in my Big shop largest was a 72 inch cutmaster. I had to remove the 50hp motor and replace it with a 10 so jobs take a little longer now...Phil
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1439157011...044&customid=eedb8dc14f5f18f35dd3e9c05ad62b32 I guess they haven't come down in price much either! for when the eBay link goes dead, it's $119,500, used.

Last edited:
Well after a lot of looking found the T18 from 75 j10 6 cly, and I was lucky 6 to 1 low and short input shaft...YA...so I will use it and go with 4.09/4.10 gears. A little more bad news the clutch pack I bought from ebay, not only short thr throw out bearing is also the wrong spline in the disk...@#$$#@@, well down to NAPA for a twb and disk and on to the bell housing...Phil

Back