Trying to Identify this old Jeep

That is the plan I'm not changing how it looks as it would lose its caricature and story. This will not be sold during my life. It's going to be used at our hunting property.
I'm glad to here this. That's what it deserves. In the 70s and early 80s my family would gather every elk season in Gunnison Co, where the old family homestead was, to camp and hunt. I sure wish the tradition would have continued. It was more of a family reunion with hunting thrown in. Two of my uncles had willys they would bring. I have no idea what years or anything. To me they were just jeeps that we would stuff completely full of people. Great memories. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brother, sister. My grandparents had 13 kids. There was a ton of us.
As far as the videos go, I usually look for normally skilled people doing the work when I'm trying to figure out how to do something. Seems to be more interesting for normal things. I try to find "experts " for things like body work, painting, or welding issues. Good luck with your project and more importantly enjoy it.

I like the idea. Look at g503 videos on You tube. they are really well done. What ever you do, pay attention to where the camera is pointing. Lots of them bounce all over and hard to watch

The grill is like my 55 cj5 grill, the high hood is from a cj3 b taller f head. The body reminds me of a later cj8 extended. The cj8 had a extended rear section. My cj5 when she first came home.944F8F8D-94AB-4F69-8ED9-F8CFC8CDE17A.jpeg

Regarding a video, the mechanical video might be good but a video four-wheeling and hunting in it in the woods would get my attention a lot more. Sort of vintage use sort of thing. Good luck with either. It'll be fun. Ive rebuilt some derelict stuff of my grandfather's and it now works better than it did for him. They are a pleasure to use now and I think of him every time I use one of them. From the way it sits now, yours can only get better and more fun to use.

Yes my grandfather put in a custom opening window. But at the same time it dose look like some CJ2 windows and the thing has so many modification it could just have a CJ2 windshield as a donor.

That is very cool. The family history is awesome. It deserves to be saved. Good luck with your work.

Last edited:
Wasn’t the cj2 a 134 flat head? The hood was lower. The cj3b was a 134f head the hood was higher to clear the higher position of the carb.

I put a rebuilt engine in a cj3 b once at a dealer what a job. With the plow hydraulics.

P
The main body is a 2a, 3a or 3b the dash plate was used on those modules between 1950 and 1964.
so no CJ2 after 49. My 48 has a similar dash plate. Someone has a good thread on the various dash plates and how they changed over the years. Don’t recall where it is but it included things like the different backgrounds and symbols. From motor pic for sure not the go devil

I'm glad to here this. That's what it deserves. In the 70s and early 80s my family would gather every elk season in Gunnison Co, where the old family homestead was, to camp and hunt. I sure wish the tradition would have continued. It was more of a family reunion with hunting thrown in. Two of my uncles had willys they would bring. I have no idea what years or anything. To me they were just jeeps that we would stuff completely full of people. Great memories. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brother, sister. My grandparents had 13 kids. There was a ton of us.
As far as the videos go, I usually look for normally skilled people doing the work when I'm trying to figure out how to do something. Seems to be more interesting for normal things. I try to find "experts " for things like body work, painting, or welding issues. Good luck with your project and more importantly enjoy it.

One of the greatest family hunting movies of all time:

https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/hunting-with-the-willys-in-the-1950s.4965/

I enjoyed working on my own jeeps but I hated working on customers jeeps. Someone brings in a willy Jeep pickup that’s rusted in a pond and needs a clutch. Everything is so rusted up.

Back