Trailer hitches

Sweet Wagon and trailer combo! Thanks for the picture showing the mounting details: I want to do the same thing. It's so much better to not have the trailer hitch sticking out too far: I have whacked my shins on those too many times in the dark (there was of course no alcohol involved). "Showing off"? Isn't that a big part of what this forum is about? Go for it!

Nice wagon and trailer. Thanks for the pictures and info on your tow setup. Looks like you've been having a blast in that thing.

i'm curious, is anyone out there towing any type of camping trailers with the 226 engine. Right now, I'm just looking at one of those cargo decks that go into the hitch receiver (for added cargo capacity), but I'd like to eventually get a trailer and it'd be nice to know if my old 226 could handle the job or not. (I'm thinking maybe...)

Jerry, that is Welder Joes Wagon from an earlier photo (post #8) photoshopped to eliminate the finger he had in front of the lens. Notice it has no license plate. You can't have everything. It does look like a show quality ride!

It's a 20'er it looks good at 20' it needs body and paint again the pass side has been scorched by wild fire from where the previous owner barley got it out be for the fire got it the bondo is cracking and falling out so I need to
redo it
i plan on pulling a retro model 155xl with it

Here is the back of my wagon before adding the chrome bumper

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 60
Ray, I'm in Hemet about once or twice a month. Mother in Law lives off Palm by Stenson (Sierra Dawn). Hope to have my 55 wagon up and running this week. I'll keep my out out for yours. Plan on coming to a annual Willys event in May at Tom's Farm. I'll post when I get the date.

Attachments

• 20150502_102831.jpg
    20150502_102831.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 60
Not a direct answer about the 226 so take with large grain of salt, but just reading up on towing, I'd consider the engine one of the factors but not most important one. I'd put brakes, gearing, suspension and cooling ahead of engine size. I'm OK to get there slow but safe. I don't know (but sorta doubt) there is manufacturer info about the stock towing capacity.

If stock I'd be conservative, maybe a lightweight tent trailer of ~1000 lbs (?) I used to have a small Coleman around that weight and it was pretty decent and roomy. If going heavier I suspect with stock final drive ratio your Willys would be up to it, though taxed on uphills and not very fast overall. Once into heavier territory (all other things being willing) you'd be well served with some electric brakes on the trailer & disk conversion on the truck.

Looking on CJ forum they recommend about 1000 max. More powerful but shorter wheelbase, maybe a good comparison.

You also have to think of all the stuff you'll be bringing with you - I'd add a couple hundred depending on what you're taking along - I usually have firewood, food & water, tools, bikes, kayak, and all sorts of other swag with me.

Nice wagon and trailer. Thanks for the pictures and info on your tow setup. Looks like you've been having a blast in that thing.

i'm curious, is anyone out there towing any type of camping trailers with the 226 engine. Right now, I'm just looking at one of those cargo decks that go into the hitch receiver (for added cargo capacity), but I'd like to eventually get a trailer and it'd be nice to know if my old 226 could handle the job or not. (I'm thinking maybe...)

Good points to consider, Tom. The only problem is, these days slow is not safe. People drive so fast on the freeway (usually 10-15 over posted speed limits, which keep getting set higher) that going the speed limit with a load is pretty scary. I watch with amazement as guys hauling large boats or heavily laden trailers blow by us at 90: no exaggeration. We got chased up Soldier Summit out of Provo (speed limit 65) by a guy in a Cummins Dodge towing a 6-horse trailer (fully loaded) going 80. Uphill! So I totally agree with your thinking that all the other parameters need to be considered (gearing, brakes, steering, suspension, cooling, lights) before becoming a sitting duck. I'll tow a light trailer behind my Willys on local roads, but not very far.

Yes agree, it's hard to change lanes with a long setup when everyone's flying coming up fast on both sides. I do about 62-64 on freeway normally, all the signs say '55 max' but really that's very tricky. One other thing I liked about tent trailer was being able to see over it. I thought with stock gearing and no O/D you aren't even going to exceed 55, but never driven one.

Thanks for the info on the bumper I had one on my cj5 and was trying to find out we're it came from the person that put it on was not a very good welder but the bumper was well made I have took it off and was planing on not using it if anyone wants it I'm willing to trade it I will take pics of it and post on a later date but check this tent trailer out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
931a2fe1f3f54f7382b2afb44047b342.jpg

Waygoner I seen them at outdoor world in Rocklin California witch is owned by pro bass I do not know the brand name the one I was looking at was about 4000.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back