Jun 8, 2016
Durham, NC
First Name
Eddie
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I owned a Jeepster about 20 years ago and toying with the idea of getting another or a commando. I have a Teardrop trailer I built that is big for a teardrop. It weighs about 1500 lbs. I know I can tow it with the commando but anyway with a willys jeepster? This will help me in the direction for my search. I would prefer slightly the Willys if so. Thanks!

The X frame of a Jeepster is very robust and sturdy.
IMHO if you were to install an appropriate hitch the frame should handle it.
But now we come to the drive train, that’s where I’m not sure, especially if it’s original stock. Interstate highway speeds would not be possible. The L or F 6 cyl would do better, but you’re still pulling a load. Most 4 & 6 cyl Jeepsters had the Borg Warner overdrive which is nice, I don’t know the load capacity of that unit.
Maybe a resto-mod with modern drivetrain, engine, trans, axle, brakes would be more suitable. Back to the frame, I’d say you should be good.

Thanks guys! I am okay with staying off the highways actually. Love two lane roads. Also, I live in NC but do not plan to do any mountain camping. Just the Piedmont and Coast really.

Stakebed, thanks for the recommendation to contact Cking894

Back