SE Wisconsin
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Sorry for similar question.
I have found my cheapest and easiest way to pick up a jeepster that is 14 hours away, would be to rent a uhaul tow dolly one way.
I do not want to pull drive shaft, or tow with it connected.

Has anyone put a jeepster on a dolly backward?
I'm worried about the over hang, it looks to be about 10 inches more than the font?

Again, sorry for the newby questions, JIM

When I brought my Jeepster home from Sacramento to the Seattle area I first tried putting the rear axil of the Jeepster on the tow dolly thinking like you that would be better that way. That did not work at all. The front end steerig caused the Jeepster to wander all over the place above 30 miles an hour. It did not work at all. Assuming your Jeepster has a normal healthy rear end with no issues it will tow fine in NEUTRAL OF COURSE. If you are worried about it falling in gear because of the weight of the shifting linkage put it in neutral and disconnect the shift linkage. Or tow it a ways and see if it falls into gear. say it It will be fine using a tow dolly. I don't know why you think you have to remove the drive line to the rear end? After all it is made to go down the road only difference is no power to the rear axil from the engine but it free wheels just fine. I did this exact same thing you are doing.

peewee

my .02 would include the risk of having something going wrong and damaging the jeepster vs. the cost of a Uhaul trailer vs. the tow dolly. I towed a 52 CJ home 2 hours with a tow dolly. I still cant believe i made it.

CJ has a shorter wheel base and might want to wonder more. Longer wheel-base is more stable. Maybe you can describe how your jeep seem to tow. My Jeepster towed just fine with a lightweight small 2 wheel drive PU and when I could I hit 70 mpg.

peewee

Another car of mine is a TR8, the 5 speed in it has an oil pump the keep it properly lubricated, towing it in neutral with the motor more than a very short distance may kill the transmission. So, it all depends. Transmissions are generally splash lubricated and the output shaft may be disconnected in neutral at which point, there is no splash lubrication. And for most older cars, it's fine.

To to tow from the front remove the driveshaft . If the driveshaft is not removed the rear axle will spin only the transmission mainshaft on the needle bearings when the transmission is in in neutral . If the engine is off trans in neutral and clutch pedal released the transmission input shaft will be stationary . The input shaft is in constant mesh with the countershaft which will also be stationary. The rotation of the countershaft and gears is what causes the lubricant to be splashed and distributed to the internal transmission components in turn adaquately lubricating them. In the above case there will be no lubricant movement and no lubrication through the transmission . If enough distance is travelled in this manner particularly at high speed eventually the needle bearings on the mainshaft will run dry overheat and fail.

Well if that is true then it would be best and safest to disconnect the drive line at the rear axel and using good wire, wire it over to the frame for towing or unbolt the entire driveline. It is not that hard to do but you might have to jack the car up to get under there. Have a couple wrenches 9/16 or 1/2" if I remember will do it. Like I say I towed mine 900 miles and I think everything is good? But disconnecting the driveline is something to plain on doing to be safe.

peewee

CJ has a shorter wheel base and might want to wonder more. Longer wheel-base is more stable. Maybe you can describe how your jeep seem to tow. My Jeepster towed just fine with a lightweight small 2 wheel drive PU and when I could I hit 70 mpg.

peewee
i couldnt tell you, i vowed never to do it again and have towed many cars and trucks on a trailer. Probably just risk-averse but it works for me.

Back