May 19, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
justin
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Hi all. I recently got a new wiring harness for my 50 station wagon and was wondering if anyone could help me with what wires go to what post and where on my headlight/circuit breaker switch.
Thanks in advance

Which 1950 do you have? The flatter grill style with no horizontal grill bars? or the pointier one that has five horizontal bars? Switches were different between those models. The newer style would be:

headlight0034.jpg

And more information on the switch as a whole is at:

http://www.jeep-trucks.com/index.php?page=guide&group=electrical&part=headlight_switch

Last edited:
Back to which 1950 do you have?

The early 1950 would match the grill and front clip of my brother's truck:

wo1949-0034.jpg

If it's the late 1950, it should match the grill and front clip of my 1950 truck:

000_0002.jpg

If it's the early model, that switch is close to the original, but the knob isn't "factory correct" (if that matters to you). If it's the late model, then it's the wrong switch and should be:

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...l-headlight-dimmer-switches-parts-accessories

Kaiser Willys has incorrectly identified when the headlight switch changed - the 'dimmer' was used in 1950. The late 1950 model switch has built-in switch for lights for the gauges complete with a dimming capability for those lights. The 'factory' switch for the early 1950 would look like:

switch.jpg

As for the switch that you do have, are there letters stamped in the brown board by the wiring connections? If there are, knowing what they're labeled might help in identifying the wiring. If not, Kaiser Willys should be able to tell you what goes where (would've thought they would have included wiring information since it's not an exact match to the factory switch).

By the way, I checked Walck's site and he has the light switches listed under their proper years (and he's a bit less expensive as well...) ;)

Last edited:
I have this style switch
attachment.php

Justin,
did you get a response on how this was wired with the dome Light? I have the same switch.

I know it has been a year, but this is the only thread I could find.

Justin,
did you get a response on how this was wired with the dome Light? I have the same switch.

I know it has been a year, but this is the only thread I could find.

That's not the correct switch for the 1951. Beginning around the 1950-1/2 trucks/wagons/jeepsters Willys went with this switch:

1950-1964p0032.jpg

Kaiser-Willys knows it's the wrong one (I've told them, including pointing out that the factory parts books confirm that's the wrong switch) but they refuse to fix their information. If you have to get it from Kaiser-Willys you need to ask for the 1952+ switch - or save some money and get it from Walck. The switch you have doesn't have any provision for wiring into the dome light.

Back