Dec 6, 2014
Silverton Oregon
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
I need to talk with someone that has a 134F and the FACTORY spin on oil filter setup.
Walcks sells the "top" that works with these filters but only shows a single view which makes it hard to see if I can adapt it to what I want to use it for.

Walcks number is 929838 says it was used on these rigs
CJ3B 1960-1964, CJ5 1960-1971, CJ6 1960-1971, Pick Up Truck 1960-1962, Station Wagon 1960-1962, Sedan Delivery 1960-1962, FC 1960-1964

I am trying to figure out if I can mount this so the filter hangs and the whole mess mounts in the position of the Fuel pump (which is not being used) on my Hot Rod 134L Some photos of one mounted would help so I can see how its attached. I know all about using the proper by pass style filter (NAPA #1050 Fram PB50 etc) Since the filter would be located lower then the galley I don't think any worry about a drain back valve one way or the other would matter.

All help will be appreciated.

That's an unusual situation you've got there.
I'd suggest you go over to the 3B forum as there are many more 3B experts who can help you with it.

I tend to create a lot of unusual situations LOL I think I have pretty much figured out what I need except the idea of hanging the filter and for the life of me I can't see how it could make any difference. The only thing is the filter will stay full of oil no matter what since it can't drain up hill.

I already have the "Top" ordered and once its here will design a mount for it so it mounts to the fuel pump bolt holes.

As far as I know, it makes no difference in operation.
The big difference is when you want to take it off to change it.
A "threads-down" filter will dump its entire contents on your hand, the engine and the garage floor.
A hanging filter will only dump part of its contents.
There's no known way to not spill oil during an oil and filter change. It's a law of nature.
:)

During oil changes on mine.
If I let the oil pan drain overnight and remove the spin on filter the next day, all of the oil will be drained from the filter leaving hardly any mess.
But, down low in the fuel pump location, you would need to install the filter hanging down. Just to avoid a quart of oil spilling..
Let me see if I can get the camera close enough tomorrow to show mounting.

Last edited:
I'd suggest just use the original canister. It's not a full flowing system no matter what oil filter you use, meaning useful but not real good a filter system.
diggerG

Thanks guys that's what I needed and jeepdan that's a nice looking engine compartment.

I am a Hot Rodder I like to modify to upgrade to see what I can get out of an engine with whats available. I can go to NAPA 10 blocks from my house and get a NAPA 1050 Gold filter and run the exact same oil filtration system the 134L had at the end of its production run. My plan to mount it in the area the stock fuel pump sits is to make it less of a mess to change (I worked as a lube mech as a kid I have done many hundreds of oil changes) and to clean up the engine compartment.

I been working on the mount for the spin on top which I now have in hand (and here I wondered what I would ever use the 3/4-16T tap I got in a pile of tools from a yard sale years ago and now I know that's the thread the top mounts with LOL) I will most likely wait on the final design until I have the engine assembled and sitting in the frame. To may variables with the mounting plate, my Saginaw steering shaft, the header I will be building, and the supply port on the side of the engine to get it right the first time doing it now.

There's a great hydraulic shop in Salem I'll have make the custom hoses for if I can't just do it with Aeroquip parts from Summit Racing. At 40psi its not like its a high pressure hose. Heck modern fuel lines run more then that.

Last edited:
Back