California
First Name
Joel
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
See attached photo of my Jeep. My question, is this. What’s the best way to preserve the patina and keep it from rusting further. Some people clear coat the Patina. How do you guys feel about that?
822C99EE-3D51-4944-9FAE-FD50C2097E4A.jpeg

Patina gonna patina. No matter what you do. It's not going to get different in a year. Why touch it? My 2c. Great looking jeep!

I got my 48 around 13 years ago and it had great patina then. IF I had known about the linseed oil treatment and used it then the truck would look much better now. I guess it just how much wear and tear of a look you want.

Any rust I'm not going to remove, gets painted with vinegar and then oiled.. Don't rinse off the vinegar, just let it air dry... And this
process only works in a dry climate and when the vehicle is parked under cover (carport, garage, whatever). This does NOT work on
heavy scaley rust.... If you just want the look, clean off most of the rust and then prime with red rustoleum and then fog over a very
thin color coat... Park outside for a bit and you've got patina..

I'm not into shiny patina myself, lots of people like it. It's your jeep. I wonder why people who like their original patina look always use gloss clear if they decide to clearcoat it? Why not consider semi gloss or flat? That would look closer to untouched, yet give some protection. And I've wondered about linseed oil when they change hands and the new owner decides to restore it. Can it be removed easily with soap and degreaser?

My limited use of linseed oil has shown me that by wiping it down more vigorously the shine is very much subdued. Here in San Diego where it is hot and dry it wears off quickly if thinly applied. In certain areas where I needed to remove oil a simple wash with a stronger cleaner cleaned it up well. I’ve always hesitated to clear coat over rust etc as I feel the potential for expanded deterioration is to great. I am no painter that’s for sure so I’m sticking with the oil treatment on my cars for now.

My take is everything short of the clear, whatever else is applied atop of the top layer, evaporates. Becoming another layer of patina! Enjoy your builds and make it look like you want, how you see it. P.S. whatever is under the paint, between the metal and the primer or early paint, continues becoming patina, even under clear, so your grandkid will have to reclear it. "Time waits for no one, and it won't, no it won't, wait for me" - Rolling Stones

Last edited:
Back