The Doge

Well Oiled
Jun 15, 2011
Allen, TX
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
One of the things that I have little working knowledge of is car air conditioners. On my 2008 Honda Fit the AC will blow warm until the car has ran for about 15 minutes and then the air is nice and cold. I have been doing some reading and still don't have a good idea on what it may be. I usually will take the vehicle in to a service center for anything to do with AC repair but like to have a general idea of what the problem is so that they don't try to sell me a new system which they seem to try with anything to do with air conditioners.
Thanks
Dan

Dan: I was also in the dark about a/c service, but had a neighbor that came down the alley with the same tools he used on house a/c systems, and charged up my system and tested for leaks. The a/c in my wagon has run for years w/o issues.
Others jump in here if you find any issues with my logic. The system has freon that changes state, gas to liquid in the compressor, and then the freon travels to the evaporater where it expands to a gas again and transfers the heat from the air around the coils to the freon which returns to the condenser in front of the radiator. The condenser cools the freon and returns it to wthe compresser .....
So find the leak......uaually a loose fitting or dried up and cracking o-ring, sometimes a bad seal in the compressor....also in the freon is an amount of oil that lubricates the compressor, and can leak out of the same leakpoint as the freon.
So look for fittings with oily dirt collected on them. Don't forget to look at the dryer, the part that's vertical about 2.5" dia.
If they open the system at all this needs to be replaced as it can hold only a small amount of water that evacuating the system leaves behind. When empty the tech will pull a negative pressure on the system and it should hold the pressure, or this will confirm your leak. The freon is evacuated so it can be recycled and not just dumped into the atmosphere. It also lets the proper measured amount of coolant and oil to be placed in the system. To me it is training I have not recieved, just observed the techs when they work on it. One more thing is I have seen them use a leak detector tool that will indicate that freon is present outside of the system.
Good luck Dan.

Could be that the compressor doesn't spin fast enough at low speeds/idle. If it takes a few minutes to get out and get moving, that could be what's going on right there.

Back