New to the group with 1958 Maverick wagon

L
Welcome to Old Willys Forum, Corey!

The emblems on the cowl of your wagon do indicate that it is a "limited edition" early Maverick.

Follow this link for a previous post on this:
https://www.oldwillysforum.com/foru...ollection-with-wagon-video.21141/#post-237628

(From a link included in the post I linked to above) here's an ad for one (from 2014), serial number 10005:
http://www.ewillys.com/2014/03/02/1958-maverick-wagon-san-diego-ca-4000/

Bill Norris, who posted valuable information in the comments below that ad, is a renowned Jeep historian.

With this virtual vase rub: @Bill Norris , I shall attempt to summon him...

(And the hood ornament on that example is not something Willys would have applied.)
I went to first link and top pic is mine! Does anybody know where pic was taken?

That wagon is/was in Newburg Oregon and sadly had a lot of cancer and was poorly modified with a non running/incomplete GM V-8 engine and someone attempted a 4WD conversion. It has a lot of good parts, but the cancer repair could be a bit intimidating to restore properly and cost effectively.

Yes it’s “Maverick Special” #8 out of 100 in 1958. Originally equipped with F-4 134, column shift T-86, and 5:38 gears in the differential with limited slip. The upholstery and mask around the instrument cluster was special, and being 2-WD, it sported the W-O hubcaps without beauty rings. The “Maverick Special” did not carry a spare tire, it ran Goodyear run flat tires. I certainly wouldn’t make it into a rat/street rod, there’s so few of those that survived.

Beginning with the 1959 production, the Kaiser rocket ship cowl emblem was dropped. The stainless belt trim on the 1958 was actually two 1 inch trim pieces stacked on top of each other. In 1959, they became one piece, like what you find on all the 1961-63 wagons. The rear cargo area had black short pile carpet, no oak runners like the other wagons.

During this time period, one could still purchase a 2-WD wagon that was a non “Maverick special” even with a L-6 226. The “Maverick Special“ promotion ran through to 1960. In 1961, the promotion was dropped, James Garner no longer was on the TV show as he was the President of the screen actors guild, he had not been paid for some time for his role on Maverick, and the screen writers went out on strike, the actors joined them.

The Willys wagon got a stainless trim facelift to the “missle” trim design, and was the ONLY 2-WD wagon available, all with column shift. The Wagoneer body was already in early production stages and Willys Motors was slowly trimming available old body types. (Some references as to the later production being a Maverick Special are undocumented with fact) The 2-WD wagon for 1961-62 still could be had with the F-4, or 226, then in 1962-1/2, the OHC-230 or the F-4 with the OHC body tub.

Any 2-WD wagon is hard to find after 1956 with the straight axle and is a nice driving vehicle.
View attachment 111398View attachment 111399View attachment 111397
Now it’s in Salem Oregon and I will be restoring it to its former glory.

Hey everyone!

New to the group but not to Jeeps. I am 51 year old maintenance man and hobby wrench bender with a 58/9 Maverick Special that I’m trying to identify exact model, etc. missing vin plates and title paperwork has vin that don’t jive with all the numbers and info I can find.

Frame has 10008 stamped in it, special trim on body. Was told it’s #8 of 100 58’s,from what I find of numbers is that it’s 1 of 100, 4, or 1 with this trim package, want to know for sure before I start in on project. Look at picture with special trim piece on side, -3 trim package as far as I can find out.Makes a difference as to the direction I go with restoration, I was gonna make a fun rusty rat Rod toy out of it, however if it’s special ( special to me)I’ll have to restore it.

Any help identifying would be Much appreciated.

Look forward to meeting you all and helping restore some American history.
Update, as special as it is I can’t bring myself to do anything but restore it. However I won’t have the funds or the physical abilities any more as I blew
Out my back and can’t do as much as I could.
Next step is to find someone that wants it and can bring it back to its original glory.
If you all know someone, it is for sale. Best offer takes her home.
Email me at. coreyfehr333@gmail.com or (503)383-8687

Hey everyone!

New to the group but not to Jeeps. I am 51 year old maintenance man and hobby wrench bender with a 58/9 Maverick Special that I’m trying to identify exact model, etc. missing vin plates and title paperwork has vin that don’t jive with all the numbers and info I can find.

Frame has 10008 stamped in it, special trim on body. Was told it’s #8 of 100 58’s,from what I find of numbers is that it’s 1 of 100, 4, or 1 with this trim package, want to know for sure before I start in on project. Look at picture with special trim piece on side, -3 trim package as far as I can find out.Makes a difference as to the direction I go with restoration, I was gonna make a fun rusty rat Rod toy out of it, however if it’s special ( special to me)I’ll have to restore it.

Any help identifying would be Much appreciated.

Look forward to meeting you all and helping restore some American history.
Hi buddy, where did you find the number stamped in the frame?

Back