Mar 28, 2021
Canton,GA.
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
I am looking at a 1967 jeepster commando to buy. The jeep is at a dealership in Pa. that sells high end cars. The jeep looks great. It's not totally original,but from what I can tell is nice. The price is comparible to what I see in the market these days. I just want to make a good buying decision and I'm not sure what to look out for. I have got undercarriage pictures and from what I can tell it's solid, however, there's lots of undercoating so it is hard to see anything bad. Any advice on what to look for or stay away from. The car just has a bimini top, no hard top or convertible top or frame. Paints great, interior nice, the car looks good!
Thanks

Based on my history with these Jeepsters: rusty floor pans, inner and outer rocker panels, body to frame mounts
( particularly rear mount), front fenders. Lift the floor mats and look for rust or repairs.
Depending on mileage the running gear is usually ok. Look for oil leaks. Practically any old Jeep will marks it’s spot.
Rust is the biggest culprit with these( any) old Jeeps and some people are very creative with Bondo and undercoating in order to make them look pretty good!
Caveat emptor, but if you do buy it you’ll enjoy it,I do mine.

Based on my history with these Jeepsters: rusty floor pans, inner and outer rocker panels, body to frame mounts
( particularly rear mount), front fenders. Lift the floor mats and look for rust or repairs.
Depending on mileage the running gear is usually ok. Look for oil leaks. Practically any old Jeep will marks it’s spot.
Rust is the biggest culprit with these( any) old Jeeps and some people are very creative with Bondo and undercoating in order to make them look pretty good!
Caveat emptor, but if you do buy it you’ll enjoy it,I do mine.
Thanks you for your comments. Are you anywhere near Kingston, Pa. Car is at Rayco Euro motorsports.

Its not a high end rebuild, if a rebuild at all. Look at the engine bay...not nice, and the wiring is a mess. If NO rust might be a good rig to start with but for 20k I dont know, just a so so paint job. The jeepster just was a poor rig when they came out with cheap body,s... the old gals just didnt last well, lots of spots for rust to attack. It looks like a clean rig someone put a flip paint job on. This is from what is seen in the pic,s. I am a long way from Pa Have someone there look at the bottom of it, thay will tell you a lot, under the dash shows a lot of overspray from the paint job...Phil

Its not a high end rebuild, if a rebuild at all. Look at the engine bay...not nice, and the wiring is a mess. If NO rust might be a good rig to start with but for 20k I dont know, just a so so paint job. The jeepster just was a poor rig when they came out with cheap body,s... the old gals just didnt last well, lots of spots for rust to attack. It looks like a clean rig someone put a flip paint job on. This is from what is seen in the pic,s. I am a long way from Pa Have someone there look at the bottom of it, thay will tell you a lot, under the dash shows a lot of overspray from the paint job...Phil
thank you!

f3d4e66589_1280.jpg

f3d4e66589_1280.jpg

Thanks for putting it up. What do you think. Worth itor not?

Last edited:
What does the chassis look like?
I have pictures on my email, this is what I coul load. It has a lot of undercoating. No visable rust, but it could be hiding! who knows!

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_141556.jpg
    IMG_20220506_141556.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220506_141553.jpg
    IMG_20220506_141553.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220506_141548.jpg
    IMG_20220506_141548.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220506_141546.jpg
    IMG_20220506_141546.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220506_141542.jpg
    IMG_20220506_141542.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220506_141539.jpg
    IMG_20220506_141539.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220506_141523.jpg
    IMG_20220506_141523.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220506_141526.jpg
    IMG_20220506_141526.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 27
Ok, what it looks to me, a good running jeepster with 80k miles, some surface rust on the bottom side covered with undercoating for looks, no rebuild of any-kind, just fix what is broken and paint everything red, redo the seats and kick panels. It was a flip to sell, it is probably is a 15k rig. One big draw back is the dana 30 rear end, very weak even for the 225 v6. It it drives out good and you want it,...it could be made into a nice jeep. The missing parts are not real hard to find , but the air cleaner has to be changed back to stock. I saw 2 up here in montana that were more sound without the red paint for 6k, I might pick up one of them v6 with a auto and a 1/2 cab. One draw back is the missing top, will be hard to find, and don't fall in love with the paint job..Phil

I don't know much about them, but it looks nice.

I'm probably an hour and fifteen from there. I'm fully booked this week with my Habitat stuff, if you needed someone to run up and take a look let me know. I don't have a ton of time, but it's closer then GA. I can get creative with some stuff, if you have a list or make one.

Do you know these things? Is it what you have been looking for?

Check auction prices at the normal place, Mecham, Barrett, BAT, see Hemmings and then get a feel for the market. Maybe you have and this is the one for you.

I don't know much about them, but it looks nice.

I'm probably an hour and fifteen from there. I'm fully booked this week with my Habitat stuff, if you needed someone to run up and take a look let me know. I don't have a ton of time, but it's closer then GA. I can get creative with some stuff, if you have a list or make one.

Do you know these things? Is it what you have been looking for?

Check auction prices at the normal place, Mecham, Barrett, BAT, see Hemmings and then get a feel for the market. Maybe you have and this is the one for you.
Thanks for info and the offer to look at the jeepster. I think I am going to continue looking around. This one looks nice,but I agree it is probably a flip! Nothing wrong with that if it's a good rig.? Bad thing is these are getting more expensive by the day it seems!

I see floor pans that have been replaced with flat sheet metal, an obvious last minute "undercoat job" to cover a lot of surface rust/dirt and an original engine that has not been rebuilt. Positives; Dana 20 transfercase (quiet) and arrest me red paint job.
Tops I would pay= $15K, as I bet mechanical problems would rear their ugly head quickly. If you are a good mechanic and like tinkering, the mechanical repairs are fairly cheap (parts only) and just require your time (which I like to spend on my projects anyway).
In truth, with the missing top, I would be hard pressed to pay more than $10-12K for it.

I see floor pans that have been replaced with flat sheet metal, an obvious last minute "undercoat job" to cover a lot of surface rust/dirt and an original engine that has not been rebuilt. Positives; Dana 20 transfercase (quiet) and arrest me red paint job.
Tops I would pay= $15K, as I bet mechanical problems would rear their ugly head quickly. If you are a good mechanic and like tinkering, the mechanical repairs are fairly cheap (parts only) and just require your time (which I like to spend on my projects anyway).
In truth, with the missing top, I would be hard pressed to pay more than $10-12K for it.
Thanks, I was wondering about the floor pans. It hard for me to tell. Appreciate the info.

It might have been a good buy before they tried to make it look good but, I'd rather have one that had nothing done to it so I could actually see the issues. It looks like they tried to cover them up to me.

@TomN Hi Tom. This one just posted (32 minutes ago) on CL. Dave

JEEP JEEPSTER COMMANDO 1967 - $10,500 (ATASCADERO)

@TomN Hi Tom. This one just posted (32 minutes ago) on CL. Dave

JEEP JEEPSTER COMMANDO 1967 - $10,500 (ATASCADERO)
thanks, that one is to far. I'm on the east coast, georgia. Appreciate it though!

That one looks awesome. There was a new user in NJ who bought a Wagon in CA and had it transported back. He flew out to CA to inspect and it shipped back with no issues.

My situation for shipping my Wagon was not ideal due to my exact time frame. But it takes a few weeks to a month for sure for some deals to sort themselves out.

Edit. Not saying flying to CA is needed if a local person/company was able to inspect for you.

At the risk of stating the obvious, California's Central Valley is a great place to buy an old car. The heat is hard on rubber, seals, etc., but the arid climate means little to no rust. Coastal California with its salty ocean air is the near opposite.

Back