My CJ3B Stalled Out

I'm looking at getting a new coil but I have a question. On the outside they say either 6v or 12v. Is that the voltage before or after the resistance? I have a 12v jeep but the website is tell me a 6v w/internal resistor will fit my vehicle. I just want to make sure.

I'm looking at getting a new coil but I have a question. On the outside they say either 6v or 12v. Is that the voltage before or after the resistance? I have a 12v jeep but the website is tell me a 6v w/internal resistor will fit my vehicle. I just want to make sure.
Before the resistor.
6v coil with internal resistor is too low of a operating voltage for a 12v vehicle. Honestly, I wasn't even sure 6v systems used an external resistor. @Lookout Ranch would know.

The Easy button is a 12v coil with internal resistor.

Before the resistor.
6v coil with internal resistor is too low of a operating voltage for a 12v vehicle. Honestly, I wasn't even sure 6v systems used an external resistor. @Lookout Ranch would know.

The Easy button is a 12v coil with internal resistor.
Haven't run into an external resistor on my 6V jeeps.

We have two 2a’s with 12 volt systems. One has 12v coil with external ballast resistor, other has 12 volt coil with internal resistor. Same end result, just wired different.CBF2DEE0-EA11-492D-9D78-FF895A308ECC.jpeg7EB982FE-1E7F-4CC9-A1B5-92EC10286763.jpeg

Last edited:
My engine is not "healthy" enough to do this. It needs a rebuild because it's leaking oil in about three different places. :} It was rebuilt in the late '80s and that was the last time it got the proper attention. It gets the job done for now so I'm working on other things before I do a full overhaul.
Save your ones and fives and get the overhaul done first. Spending money on peripherals of a sick motor won't make it much better. As a matter of fact running it now only makes the rebuild more expensive.

Next time it starts sputtering pull the choke out, but not too quick. Maybe over the course of one second. If it momentarily gets better while pulling it out then I would strongly suspect vapor lock.

Another way to check it is after it quits is to lift the air horn and see if the accelerator pump pumps fuel. If it is vapor lock the bowl will be empty and there will be no fuel to pump.

Back