My 1957 L6-226 Wagon Build.

i know the place you are talking about. i will have to drive by there. and having the crossing opened is great. they fixed it much better then the last time they closed it. last time i didnt notice any improvements.

So I have been creating some purchase list for parts. I sold two of my other old vehicles to fund the wagon. Along with that I am looking at what parts I need to get my running gear up to snuff. On both my wagon and my future frame the parking brake parts on the rear brake assemblies are missing. I found a thread/posts here on the forum with pictures of what the completed assemblies look like. I have s few Motors truck manuals but for once they are lacking with regards to the parking brake setup. I have new cables and frame clamps from Walck's but I need the arm and spacer bar the spans the brake shoes and puts the cable pull to work. Doez anybody have a good source for these? I emailed midwest willys, I will probably email Walck's tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

8c779655ace88b3f5b25ec304c5b79f7.jpg

This is a picture I snagged from the forum. You can see the parking brake cable where it comes through the backing plate. I need the lever and the spacer that pushes forward to the front shoe.

Ben

I found the needed parts for the parking brake and I placed a big order with Walck's to finish off the chassis and drive train work.

So today I got a little more work done on the engine. Valve train in, head on, tappet cover on, oil filler tube in and dipstick in. I painted the throttle rod assembly and coil mount.

2f4742838d070ceddc4db2ac411e037c.jpg

5bc79ba6292bd93bd5bacf13944c0cfb.jpg

7a452d18e3d417d78a0c6845b02e0a35.jpg

802a715ace7b0d9b4a4835d1b9a46282.jpg

I also started prepping the oil filter housing for paint and donated a bit of blood and flesh to the engine.

Forgot to mention I did adjust the valves. Next update Tuesday.

Today I cleaned various small items for the engine and painted them. Installed the new clutch and pressure plate and completed the axle swap on both frames. Man those axles are heavy.....

1a4a6f8620a38ced9d472c8448e58dbc.jpg

ad891a469db01aca40ee44d716a725b8.jpg

f6543bedfc510c4915316c39cd62a69b.jpg

46f7c4a7bf1421ff16df4daa78a2dd10.jpg

I am trying to find the rear main seal block for the engine as the two piece one I ordered from one of the willys parts houses showed up with only one half, they advertised both pieces so I am on a wait list for something. I also need to find a dipstick tube as my engine is missing one. In the next few days I will get the front springs swapped and then start working on brake system. After swapping the rear axles I maybe sore tomorrow.....

i will try and look in my parts bucket for a dip stick. i know we replaced it ages ago, i am just not sure where the old one ended up.

Thanks man - I mainly need the tube that the dipstick goes into. I bought a new c3 oil filter cartridge for the wagon: made in Zimbabwe...

So today I pulled all of the wheels and hubs off of the future wagon frame. I pulled all the brake parts, cleaned and repainted the brake plates, and axle tube ends. I then later in the evening pressed all of the lugs out of the hubs replaced the brake drums and pressed in all new lugs. It was a long day!

b283e47f9bc9b48bab54da95a7d0197e.jpg

I put some green paint on the bare metal surfaces where the hub and the drum are pressed together because my friend had the paint handy (we used his press) but I will paint them black to match everything else.

I am beat. More updates soon.

Saturday I received the much needed rear main seal block so today I finished the engine and painted it.

66e424d8d2da9df4c36957c7dbe35a4d.jpg

057cda11877912804a78e5aff93572a4.jpg

6e25447f3055e2106e0ecefa71fdb7ab.jpg

Tuesday after everything is dry I will put some oil in it and mount the rest of the parts. After that it will sit and wait for the rest of the work to be completed. Next up - finish the rear axle and work my way forward on the driveline.

I have not found the old dip stick at my house. the other possibility is that it is in my uncles barn down by paola. he says he thinks there is a box off stuff sitting there. I will take a look there next time i travel that way.

Nice work and good progress Ben. I might be wrong but I think you're dipstick is correct as is. Mine goes straight in the block like in you're picture.

Today I completed the rear axle refresh and rear brakes. I also added the missing parking brake parts and cable. Once that was done I took the rear diff cover off, cleaned everything off/out counted the ring gear teeth and then buttoned it up with a new gasket, added gear oil and painted it. While I was at it I painted the rear third of the chassis.

730aa0b06352e0cf8e0c728267cf2371.jpg

I can't find a vent on the rear axle anywhere. Any tips fellas?

On the engine I added oil, installed the starter and primed the lube system. It didn't take long for oil to start running out of the pressure sender port and the filter port. I tried to install my zimbabwe c3 filter but the filter shaft inside the housing has a rim down inside that barely lets the filter seat completely, also the new gasket in the box is about .75" to small in diameter to seal the filter housing top. Any ideas?

I tried pressing the ujoints out of the rear drive shaft but I am going to meed the hydraulic press as the bench vise and human power wasn't enough.

All in all a good day, but I am beat.

More to come.

Ben,nice work. As you have correctly observed there is no vent on the rear axle housing. Don't ask me,I don't understand it either. You're oil filter must be the wrong one. If you need the right Napa number I can get it for you. Be careful removing the joints. You could screw up the yoke. Did you remove the clips that hold the bearing caps in? I usually bypass all the pressing an old scrap ujoint out and go right for the blue flame wrench and cut it out. Keep up the good work and good luck.

Is there a small (1/16") hole on the left axle tube? I remember finding one but I'm not sure if it was on the Timken
or the Dana 53 I have now........Just curious.........Thanks..

Thanks for the help and feedback guys.

I removed all of the ujoint locking clips and tried pressing the joints out the way I normally do ujoints, these are just a little stubborn I guess, after 60 years they have the right to be.

Doing some searching tonight I think I figured out the filter should be a fram c134pl and not a c3, the difference is 1/4" in filter length and a little less in diameter. The gasket with the c134pl is a larger diameter that should fit my housing and lid. I will pick one up and give it a try. If that doesn't work then I may put one of my c30p filters on. Its a football sized filter and housing.....

At my current rate I could be swapping the body over to the completed frame around Christmas....

Thanks for the help and feedback guys.

I removed all of the ujoint locking clips and tried pressing the joints out the way I normally do ujoints, these are just a little stubborn I guess, after 60 years they have the right to be.

Doing some searching tonight I think I figured out the filter should be a fram c134pl and not a c3, the difference is 1/4" in filter length and a little less in diameter. The gasket with the c134pl is a larger diameter that should fit my housing and lid. I will pick one up and give it a try. If that doesn't work then I may put one of my c30p filters on. Its a football sized filter and housing.....

At my current rate I could be swapping the body over to the completed frame around Christmas....

Blue Flame wrench! Done.

Back