Jan 19, 2022
Hickory Ky
First Name
Mitchell
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
I am making plans on the engine and engine bay restoration . I have a 51 jeepster. I know the F134 is the correct engine for this year . I would like to find out if this is for sure the original motor. If it is I would prefer to keep the 6v system ,mechanical fuel pump, ect. and restore the car as original as possible.
How will I be able to confirm this is the same engine that came in the car .

"Matching Numbers" is a seriously misapplied term. Basically it only applies to 1968 and later vehicles where the vehicle VIN was stamped into the body shell, engine and transmission cases. Prior to that, you are looking at "plausible numbers" so date codes on castings should be before the production date of the vehicle. Not all manufacturers even tracked which engine went into which chassis. You could try Chrysler Historical Society, but Willys wasn't known for particularly detailed production records, and few of them survive. They literally just sent them out the door.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Avoid obvious modern "upgrades" like Delco alternators, spin-on oil filters, electric wipers and such and enjoy the 50's ness.

"Matching Numbers" is a seriously misapplied term. Basically it only applies to 1968 and later vehicles where the vehicle VIN was stamped into the body shell, engine and transmission cases. Prior to that, you are looking at "plausible numbers" so date codes on castings should be before the production date of the vehicle. Not all manufacturers even tracked which engine went into which chassis. You could try Chrysler Historical Society, but Willys wasn't known for particularly detailed production records, and few of them survive. They literally just sent them out the door.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Avoid obvious modern "upgrades" like Delco alternators, spin-on oil filters, electric wipers and such and enjoy the 50's ness.
Thank you sir . I know this the correct motor for the year . I do have the original serial number data plate .
I am missing the fan shroud and breather assembly. From what I have found the assembly goes from the carb to a mounting bracket (still attached to the manifold) on the driver's side. Others I have seen go from the carb to the passenger side behind the headlights.
Definitely going they to keep it as 50s as I can get . Your information decided the fate of this car and is greatly appreciated.

Back