Sep 27, 2009
Vancouver, BC
First Name
Pavel
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1965
Just installed LED rear tail lights on our wagon. These are not the ones made by Joseph some time ago. Our wagon has round, so-called Hall style lights that are quite different from the rectangular in-body design that is commonly seen.

The lights are great but the turn signal function blinks too fast. Has anyone had and solved this problem perhaps in a different vehicle? The turn flasher unit under the dash is marked TUNG - SOL FLASHER P273D and has 3 spade electrical pins. Does anyone happen to know the correct LED spec replacement?

Thank you, Pavel

Pavel, you need to get a flasher made for LEDs. It will have its own ground strap iirc. If I was at work I could give you the part # but alas, I'm not.

When I put them in my wagon, I had the same issue. There is not enough resistance in the circuit with LED bulbs. Most autoparts stores sell resistors that can be used in line with the bulb and the standard flasher will work like normal. Or just buy the right flasher for LEDs.

Thanks Austin and Alec. I know about the in-line-resistor way with each light - as I understand, this is about the only way to solve the problem if the flasher unit is built into the ECU. Luckily these old vehicles have separate flashers. I'll check to see if local autoparts stores have the one shown on Amazon (probably at double the price).

Cheers, Pavel.

You guys are talking about mechanical flashers that need resistance, I just bought an electronic flasher at AutoZone(about $15 I think) and mine work fine. You do need the 3 prong if you are running a single indicator dash bulb. It will also not be affected by hooking up a trailer like mechanical ones are. I did end up going back to incandescent on mine because the LEDs were too dim.

Last edited:
Interesting point about trailer hook-up. I'll phone NAPA today. The LED unit I bought has 54 "bulbs" and is very bright.

Attachments

• DSCN6427.jpg
    DSCN6427.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN6437.jpg
    DSCN6437.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
T was just using two of those "replacement" 1157s with the array of leds autozone sells. Yours is probably a lot brighter.

Back