Nov 17, 2017
Victoria
First Name
Ed
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1947
Had long wondered if two spark plugs per cylinder would improve performance of a Willys L134 engine, now I know it does using my seat of the pants dynamometer and a local test hill.
1944 MB Jeep engine in a 1947 Willys wagon using a circa 1986 Nissan Pintara HEI distributor which in combination with two ignition coils fires the 8 spark plugs in a one off cylinder head I made to experiment with. Each pair of spark plugs fire simultaneously.
I don't plan on converting anymore head castings, hence the "one-off", as it was just a conversion I had to get out of my system.

Attachments

• DSCF3353.JPG
    DSCF3353.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF3356.JPG
    DSCF3356.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 63
  • W47_P40_Apr2023.jpg
    W47_P40_Apr2023.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 62
Had long wondered if two spark plugs per cylinder would improve performance of a Willys L134 engine, now I know it does using my seat of the pants dynamometer and a local test hill.
1944 MB Jeep engine in a 1947 Willys wagon using a circa 1986 Nissan Pintara HEI distributor which in combination with two ignition coils fires the 8 spark plugs in a one off cylinder head I made to experiment with. Each pair of spark plugs fire simultaneously.
I don't plan on converting anymore head castings, hence the "one-off", as it was just a conversion I had to get out of my s
I didn't see your post so I posted this from FB Inliners International. I'd delete my post if allowed. Great work Ed.

Last edited:
Has me curious if the cross flow head from an MGB could be made to work on an F head because they appear to be very similar in design.

Has me curious if the cross flow head from an MGB could be made to work on an F head because they appear to be very similar in design.

At that point just swap to a different motor!

I know Ford used that in the late 80's early 90's, my Uncle still has a '92, from what I recall it's used to fire on the exhaust stroke. Not so much for more power.

He still runs that thing all over the place. So they are still out there.

back in the day 1930s, hot roders would cut and weld a chevy over head valve head and make it fit a 4cly model A block, the gain was 150%.... just needs air and fuel to make hp. If jeep had went all in and put both valves in the head of a f head might had made a few more hp...Phil

That's pretty interesting; what's the fuel delivery system?
Two Stromberg BXOV-1 carburetors on a manifold I designed, made a pattern and core box for then machined after getting cast. Have been running the combo for many years. This photo is an old one with single plug head still fitted.,

Attachments

• DSCF9225.JPG
    DSCF9225.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
Was anything gained, besides some very inpressive work?...Phil
Comparing test runs up a nearby hill to the previous 7:1cr single plug aluminium head and HEI fitted, and the stock cast iron head before that, it pulls better and faster at the top so torque is increased. Old school testing :) Starts quicker and runs smother when cold plus perkier off the mark.

I didn't see your post so I posted this from FB Inliners International. I'd delete my post if allowed. Great work Les.
Thanks for spreading the word. Amusing some of the comments garnered including some that could be taken as a put down like "Ford ranger 4 cyl. Had 2 plugs per cyl. Back in the 80s. Nothing new."
As if a Ford Ranger (or Pinto) could ever be comparable to a Willys sidevalve/flathead four L134 engine, especially one running a dual plug conversion.:p Others seem to think I did all this work without first researching the twin plug subject (for many years). Strange world.

I think you misinterpreted some of the comments. Everyone appears to agree what you have done is remarkable and certainly required a lot of planning and talent. The Pinto comment was about adapting a MGB head.
Bill Kuran also made the patterns and had a 1 off Super Hurricane 226 head cast and then machined it himself. Amazing as well.

Thanks for spreading the word. Amusing some of the comments garnered including some that could be taken as a put down like "Ford ranger 4 cyl. Had 2 plugs per cyl. Back in the 80s. Nothing new."
As if a Ford Ranger (or Pinto) could ever be comparable to a Willys sidevalve/flathead four L134 engine, especially one running a dual plug conversion.:p Others seem to think I did all this work without first researching the twin plug subject (for many years). Strange world.
Not at all how that's posted, nowhere does it say "nothing new". Sorry it came across that way to you, I'm not editing my post. Your welcome to report the post and let the moderators sort out the wreckage.

For all I know you used this Nissan set up that was similar to the Mazda/Ford and modified a trigger wheel to fire the second plug from that kind of deal.

Sorry to jump on here that came across unconstructive.

Back