How can this STILL be leaking ?

I learned the "talcum powder trick" for mechanized equipment from the blokes over on www.triplesonline.com -- a site that caters to caretakers of classic BSA and Triumph three-cylinder motorcycles.

(This just occurred to me>) Why must I be obsessed primarily with marques that resist holding their liquids?

I learned the "talcum powder trick" for mechanized equipment from the blokes over on www.triplesonline.com -- a site that caters to caretakers of classic BSA and Triumph three-cylinder motorcycles.

(This just occurred to me>) Why must I be obsessed primarily with marques that resist holding their liquids?
I first heard it here just a couple of years ago, from @Flinthillsben.

Tim/ @cwdtmmrs, who somehow managed to mitigate all the leaks on his wagon!)
It is a constant battle. Every oil change, a lot of fasteners are checked and re-torqued. Seals are checked and replaced as needed. Right now I have an oil film on the front that looks like the seal needs replacing. Not dripping, but if not addressed it will.

It is a constant battle.
It's because the yoke is just sitting there, never turning because of the hubs never being locked in and over time the seal sticks to the yoke. Then, when you finally move it during your "checked and retorqued" regimine, it cuts a microtear in the seal causing "an oil film".

OK, that was a joke. We all actually marvel at your leak-free wagon because none of us have achieved that state of being for more than a few hours! Seriously, it's not easy even with new yokes and knuckle wiper seals, to keep these things "dry".

Jeff....you had me going until the start of the 2nd paragraph!!!

Remember that I have both the Warn OD, BWOD and seasonally a PTO in the mix.a lot of potential leak points. I have a sealed bearing on the rear output of the BWOD. I think a sealed bearing on the front output would eliminate leaks from there even with a marginal seal. Don't know why I haven't done that yet.

Ok everyone, I have figured out where my leak is coming from.

Pretty embarrassing, but I’m extremely happy it’s not my front transfer case seal after all, so its fine with me if y'all get a chuckle at my expense. I WILL say that a second set of eyes is what was needed as I laid underneath with my headlamp on high: The leak was oil dripping down from my oil pressure line under the dash directly above my shifters and down onto and around my new yoke and seal. I haven't put my shifter plate on yet or the new rubber shifter boots, so it was leaking right down there when the truck was started. My son finally came over to help, so I could see what was going on.

Thanks to everyone; this case of the leaking seal has been solved.

It's because the yoke is just sitting there, never turning because of the hubs never being locked in and over time the seal sticks to the yoke. Then, when you finally move it during your "checked and retorqued" regimine, it cuts a microtear in the seal causing "an oil film".

OK, that was a joke. We all actually marvel at your leak-free wagon because none of us have achieved that state of being for more than a few hours! Seriously, it's not easy even with new yokes and knuckle wiper seals, to keep these things "dry".
Thanks for letting us know. And that explains the riddle of why the output shaft was dripping while the motor idled but not when turned off.

Last edited:
Good job finding it!

We use chalk to mark welds and below seals and look for seeping oil on some of our equipment.

Some of our stuff uses Mineral Oil and mostly now it's a vegetable oil of sorts.

Ok everyone, I have figured out where my leak is coming from.

Pretty embarrassing, but I’m extremely happy it’s not my front transfer case seal after all, so its fine with me if y'all get a chuckle at my expense. I WILL say that a second set of eyes is what was needed as I laid underneath with my headlamp on high: The leak was oil dripping down from my oil pressure line under the dash directly above my shifters and down onto and around my new yoke and seal. I haven't put my shifter plate on yet or the new rubber shifter boots, so it was leaking right down there when the truck was started. My son finally came over to help, so I could see what was going on.

Thanks to everyone; this case of the leaking seal has been solved.

I'd be embarrassed!

Just kidding! I doubted it was the seal all along. Oil leaks wind up at the lowest point and make you (at least me) nuts.

Ok, it is official. I have a leak from the front yolk seal! There was a drip forming on eth bottom of the yolk after about 100 miles of driving. I caught it before it fell on the floor.

I am not happy.....

No
Ok, it is official. I have a leak from the front yolk seal! There was a drip forming on eth bottom of the yolk after about 100 miles of driving. I caught it before it fell on the floor.

I am not happy.....
Now I have an image of you lunging forward as you plunge under your wagon, arms stretched out in front of you, palms cupped together facing upward while yelling “NNNNOOooo…”

Last edited:

I am not happy.....
Well, I guess it's junk now Tim. Might as well bring it to my property and the wagon can join the other derelicts.

Back