GrandWillys Project

Marcus, I am amazed at your patience! I just found your build a few weeks ago and read through all of the postings. VERY impressed! I have been restoring Willy's vehicles for 44 years, and to me a long build is two years. Granted, my quality of work is no where near yours, but very presentable none the less. My FC-170 rarely leaves a car show without some kind of award. That said, I wouldn't park it on the same block with your truck!

Thanks for providing such a great tutorial and motivation for guys like me to step our game up another notch!

Seabee

Can anyone help me out? I need the thread pitch, diameter and length of the screws that hold the window tracks in place. The ones that go through the ends of the doors. They are all the same length so only one needs to be measured. Hoping to replace mine with stainless steel ones which is cheaper to buy while I am in the US.

Want to change the ones that hold the aftermarket bear claw latches to the door as well in case someone knows what size they are too?

Can anyone help me out? I need the thread pitch, diameter and length of the screws that hold the window tracks in place. The ones that go through the ends of the doors. They are all the same length so only one needs to be measured. Hoping to replace mine with stainless steel ones which is cheaper to buy while I am in the US.

Want to change the ones that hold the aftermarket bear claw latches to the door as well in case someone knows what size they are too?
I will be home from work travels in about 24 hours, can check the window track ones Wednesday evening if no one has responded by then. Hopefully that is not too late to be of use.

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I will be home from work travels in about 24 hours, can check the window track ones Wednesday evening if no one has responded by then. Hopefully that is not too late to be of use.

Duane

That would be great Duane.
I stood in Ace Hardware today in Taos and going through their stainless draws and feeling the thread of the screws and I 'think' they are #8-32 and 3/8" long? We don't even have gauge screws at home so hope that is right? Be great to know if it is and if 1/2" would be too long to use and come out into the track itself?

There’s an old yellow willys truck up at the base of the Taos ski basin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if they will ship to Australia but they might and they have a great selection of hardware: mcmaster.com.

I don't know if they will ship to Australia but they might and they have a great selection of hardware: mcmaster.com.

It is always the shipping that kills me and hate paying 3x as much for that than what I am buying!

Might get new hinge screws too. Guessing 5/16"x1/2" long and fine thread?

Thinking these for the hinge screws?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-16-24...var=541275948988&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Or is the thread diameter 3/8"?

Can someone please help?
Marcus,

These are from my photo gallery on my phone.

I went 3/4" length but 1/2 would suffice.

Will be home in about 3 hours and check the channel fasteners.

Duane
6325ad02c0359724a96200b7cec3b67f.jpg
55dfe31a3c8d4769c3709f160e69c383.jpg

Marcus,

Felt channel screws are 10-32 × 3/8

Engineers proof of discovery in the attached photos. (Haha)

Edge of door, took one of the two on edge, checked size with a tap.

I also removed a nut from where the track channel is attached in the middle of the door. On my 1959 wagon, there is a stud attached to a tab on that end of the channel with a nut. See photos

Attached above mentioned nut to screw to confirm same size.

Regards,

Duane
61dc4172a04b103b4b8103027522d466.jpg
702f045f5da5e38c14f5efc6cde8b615.jpg
939ba7ef6bc004a354cb710d16bdcf4d.jpg
6187c4dba628ba199041dabfdc6e0169.jpg
e20df20aa3965e864b942e2605daa09b.jpg

Marcus,

I had to send an order from McMaster back because the US has some restrictions on exporting certain raw materials. I received an email from the company stating that paperwork had to be filled out before I could legally receive a piece of sintered bronze (to make a custom pilot bushing). The email warned that unspeakable legal troubles awaited me if i didn't comply. Naturally, I sent the package, unopened, straight back. It was probably partly my fault as I have parcels sent to an address in the US and then pick them up to be brought back into Canada - this saves a lot of shipping costs (and of course, prices are much lower in The States than in Canada.) Perhaps McMaster thought I was trying to pull the wool over their eyes...

Marcus,

I had to send an order from McMaster back because the US has some restrictions on exporting certain raw materials. I received an email from the company stating that paperwork had to be filled out before I could legally receive a piece of sintered bronze (to make a custom pilot bushing). The email warned that unspeakable legal troubles awaited me if i didn't comply. Naturally, I sent the package, unopened, straight back. It was probably partly my fault as I have parcels sent to an address in the US and then pick them up to be brought back into Canada - this saves a lot of shipping costs (and of course, prices are much lower in The States than in Canada.) Perhaps McMaster thought I was trying to pull the wool over their eyes...

Wow, that is weird!

Sorry to trouble everyone but have another request.
Too many hrs alone in a hotel room keeps me thinking of what other bolts I should get while I am here. How about the bolts that hold on the fender and the grille? Are they 3/8"-24 (UNF) 3/4" long?

Is there 8 for each fender and 3 each side for the grille? So 22 in total with 6 needing nuts and all need panel washers?

Last edited:
Marcus,

5/16" × 24tpi × 3/4"

Screwed in a fastener I purchased for doors.

Including the tab/standoff on the firewall I count 9 per side plus 3 at the grill x 2 for a total of 24. The fender to grill ones will require a standard washer instead of a larger fender washer.

Best of luck.

Duane
c97eb9982a97135f082ef49eff41fdb8.jpg

Last edited:
Back