Fancy oil in the old L226

And what's with issues on cylinder #4 on these? I have a worn piston in cylinder #4 that's just flopping around in the worn over-sized hole. It's so worn that it doesn't even make noise. I only use it to plow the driveway right now so I keep it running like that until I can get my GPW done, then I can move on to this project. They're pretty tough if you go slow.
Do you think it could be #4's relative proximity to the carb and the path of least resistance for debris intake?

Since this engine has already been bored 30 over how much more room is there left in a 226 before you start flirting with the water jacket? I'm new to all of this so I'm trying to get an idea what my best options are for a good rebuild. I've checked the block over as good as I can visually, and see no evidence of cracks anywhere.
I’d try not to go beyond 40 over. The question is, will that clean up the deep gouge?

Here’s a shot of what I’ve got going on inside the bore. It isn’t pretty.

Attachments

• IMG_2792.jpeg
    IMG_2792.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 26
not good, first find a GOOD shop ( almost impossible) see if they can bore and sleeve one hole and bore back to the size of the other cly,s if it only 1 hole, if its more sleeve back all 6 to std ( find the parts first)...Phil

not good, first find a GOOD shop ( almost impossible) see if they can bore and sleeve one hole and bore back to the size of the other cly,s if it only 1 hole, if its more sleeve back all 6 to std ( find the parts first)...Phil
Good advice, thanks. I'm afraid Joe was right on being in sleeve territory. I've got the SOS out to a couple of experienced car friends who were mechanics and do a lot with engine builds and racing. It does appear I have a shop nearby who has a well-developed reputation, but is backed up with work and it may take a while to get on his radar. I'd be lost without the help from this forum and having a couple of buddies who know who to contact locally for first rate work.

Wow! I have a 134 with similar damage. My assumption, based on the condition of everything else, was that the carbon build up was so severe that it built up and caused friction and fit issues with the rings. What do you think caused this issue in your engine?

Wow! I have a 134 with similar damage. My assumption, based on the condition of everything else, was that the carbon build up was so severe that it built up and caused friction and fit issues with the rings. What do you think caused this issue in your engine?
I'm not certain, but I strongly suspect it was there from day one when I picked up the truck. The engine was not stuck when I got it...I was easily able to turn the engine via the crank bolt, but I could hear a crusty noise emanating from that part of the engine. Suspecting there could have been water that crept in over the two and a half decades of sitting idle resulting in a rusty cylinder, I nursed all cylinders with alternate soaks of PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery oil for the better part of a year. I could feel it loosening up and quieting down (somewhat) as I progressed with the soaks before eventually getting the courage to light it off. In retrospect there doesn't appear that there was anything I could have done to mitigate what was already there from day one for me. I'm still astonished how well this thing ran even with that amount of damage...I'm excited to hear it run again after I give it a new set of lungs.

Based on the amount of carbon built up in the top ring land, I suspect the engine ran that way for a long time.
I agree, prior to being tucked away back in ‘78 its steady diet of metal probably aged nicely in #4 and that was the gritty noise I heard when turning the crank by hand.

My engine's entire rotating assembly (and main caps) is custom.
Hadn't noticed.... really? Like how? :rolleyes:
first find a GOOD shop
Good advice Phil, but me thinks way easier said than done. There are good shops out there but the ones that specialize in old engines are few and far between...
That said, with the amount of 226's floating around today, finding another decent block might be easier(?) I know of at least 4 near me and yes, shipping might be expensive but what would a "good" shop's services cost? And as mentioned above, what would it cost to ship your tired engine to one of those specialty shops?
IMHO, if you have an old obsolete engine you have two options: Fall in love with it but have an affair waiting in the wings , or just trade it out for a newer model that you can easily replace. (this could apply to your marriage as well)
FWIW, I don't have a 226 anymore but I think they are kinda cool and enjoyed my time with the one I had ( if the surrounding Wagon been in better shape I might have kept it).

Either way, good luck with that pucked up piston!

And regarding fancy oil in a 226; what's the diff? it's gonna leak out anyway ;)

Hadn't noticed.... really? Like how? :rolleyes:

Good advice Phil, but me thinks way easier said than done. There are good shops out there but the ones that specialize in old engines are few and far between...
That said, with the amount of 226's floating around today, finding another decent block might be easier(?) I know of at least 4 near me and yes, shipping might be expensive but what would a "good" shop's services cost? And as mentioned above, what would it cost to ship your tired engine to one of those specialty shops?
IMHO, if you have an old obsolete engine you have two options: Fall in love with it but have an affair waiting in the wings , or just trade it out for a newer model that you can easily replace. (this could apply to your marriage as well)
FWIW, I don't have a 226 anymore but I think they are kinda cool and enjoyed my time with the one I had ( if the surrounding Wagon been in better shape I might have kept it).

Either way, good luck with that pucked up piston!

And regarding fancy oil in a 226; what's the diff? it's gonna leak out anyway ;)
Finding a good block is always a better fix than sleeving, I used to charge 125 bucks a hole 10 years ago...there is NOT a good shop left here in Montana...Phil

there is NOT a good shop left here in Montana...Phil
Not much in Montana from what I hear, now that the "Dental Floss Tycoons" have taken over...
Kinda doubt Phil's a Zappa fan but ya neva know ;)

There are specialty shops here in SoCal, in the Midwest and the East, but the shipping monster will raise it's ugly head :(
FWIW, if anyone is interested in a 226, my buddy in Long Beach has 3 that are supposedly good runners. I can put you in touch.

And here's hoping you listened to Frank, having those lyrics should keep you laughing for the day
"yippie-ey-o-ty-A" !!
:D

Back