Aug 7, 2023
SE Wisconsin
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
I am in the process of installing electric power assist steering ( EPAS ) on my 49 Jeepster. I want to recommend a dealer that has gone well above and beyond while helping me through the install. When I get the system working, I will do an entry in the appropriate section, but for now I think this could help all jeep type owners that are considering doing this install.

I do not want to get into a debate on whether this system will work properly, or if it is needed, it is a done deal already, and proven by many, it is not for everyone, and that is OK.

The vendor I want to talk about is:
https://epowersteering.com/ The owner is a young guy names Ken

If you go to his web site, you will find answers to just about all that you have questions about, just about all parts that you would need, and technical help about installing the systems. Right now he has kits for dozens of vehicles, and is expanding daily.

He stated that he does not mind helping the cheapskate like me who bought their unit from a scrap yard, most company's will not even talk to you if you do not buy the whole system from them. I bought a unit that had NO plugs or wire pigtails, he sold me the parts needed to get it wired and went as far as machining a part that I needed for my jeepster.

This is not a plug and play system, just look at some of the other threads about EPAS, but if you feel the need, it will be a very worthwhile winter project. Feel free to tell him I recommended him to you.
Thanks Jim
Wisconsin

Very interesting link. An enterprising fellow.

It sounds like EPS would not be suitable for a vehicle where continuous high load steering inputs are required? That makes me think of rock crawling. Not that it’s on my agenda (rock crawling, that is).

John

Good info and looks like a good contact for those considering EPAS.
I started a thread ages ago about putting power steering in a stock Wagon, that's when I found out about electric. Several folks here have installed it and been really happy with it.
Thanks for the link!

Even if you're not considering EPAS, take a look at the website; some wild stuff on there. And it's within driving distance from me...;)

Last edited:
Back