Oct 24, 2022
Mn
First Name
Steve
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Hi, I’ve got a few questions on a titled 1967 CJ5 that we bought.
1) The VIN# on the firewall and title match. The Kaiser willys catalog has 1965 ending in 194162, mine is a 193xxx series. That tells me it’s a 1965….how?
2) It has a V6, single stick and i know it doesn’t matter but V6 fender badges. We removed the single reservoir master cylinder, spoke with KW and was told all V6’s had dual reservoir MC’s
3) trying to remove all brake drums front drums dont have the (3) 1/4-20 holes, tried beating them no luck. does it require puller? Do the hubs have to come off?
4) I assume the rear drums require a puller youtube shows a dust cap, cotter pin and castle nut. Drum is on keyed tapered axle.
I’ll verify that tomorrow. Any info on all of this is greatly appreciated.

Here’s the VIN’s for 1965-1967 cj5’s and cj6’s. Also the Tuxedo Park models. Having the Dauntless v6, your VIN will have an “A” after the prefix. Your cj5 was built in the month of July, 1965. Interesting that it’s titled as a 1967.
All v6 Jeeps will have the emblems on the sides from factory.
IMG_4318.jpeg

Last edited:
By prefix, if you mean the four digits before the VIN, mine is 8305. there is no A before or after it. And I made a mistake when I was looking at the VIN number. It’s a little bit worn but it’s 198 series, not 193.

It is old enough to have parts and pieces from any other model installed. The KW catalog should not be your only source of information. Get a shop manual for your model Jeep.

We removed the single reservoir master cylinder, spoke with KW and was told all V6’s had dual reservoir MC’s
This is incorrect information...dual res MC started around 1969 or so.

trying to remove all brake drums front drums dont have the (3) 1/4-20 holes, tried beating them no luck. does it require puller? Do the hubs have to come off?
Are they 9" or 10" drums? 10" is standard with v6. The drums may be swaged on to the lug studs. 9" drums would be inboard of the wheel hub, so hub has to come off.
assume the rear drums require a puller youtube shows a dust cap, cotter pin and castle nut. Drum is on keyed tapered axle.
Yup....get the big puller that uses the lug studs, not a jaw puller

By prefix, if you mean the four digits before the VIN, mine is 8305. there is no A before or after it. And I made a mistake when I was looking at the VIN number. It’s a little bit worn but it’s 198 series, not 193.
Engine swapped to the Dauntless v6, very common! One of the best engines put in a Jeep

This is incorrect information...dual res MC started around 1969 or so.
My 67 CJ5, titled as a 69, that I purchased new, does have the dual master and the twin brake light switches so that occurred before 69. I'm not sure why one would not have the badges but they could disappear with body work or the engine could be a swap. Should be able to discern the latter by looking at the engine mounts carefully.

Not at all uncommon for the titles to be off a year as most were titled the year sold. That apparently still held true for something sitting at the dealer for more than one year.

I’ve got a 67 Buick special two door coupe that came with a 225 V6 w/ 3 on the tree. I pulled that and dropped in a four bolt main Chevy and a 700 R4 overdrive. I got rid of the transmission for the Buick but I still have that motor sitting in my garage. It’s got the craigslist rebuild (which consists of a new paint job) information on what happens.

My 67 CJ5, titled as a 69, that I purchased new, does have the dual master and the twin brake light switches so that occurred before 69.
That may be....maybe it was around 67....feel like early v6s still had the single res like Scott had on his yellow 66 CJ5....

Last edited:
It’s nice to have this place where people have real experiences and not just rely on somebody that keeps going back to their catalog for info.

Back