Apr 10, 2023
Watertown ny
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Just finished a very long and tedious engine rebuild on ‘49 Jeepster. Now having problems with carburetor. Tried rebuilding twice and still failing
Will run a couple times then quits. New fuel tank, pump and filter.
Sooooo, I am trying to find a new or excellent condition Carter. Not interested in anything from CHINA.
Please let me know where I might find one.
L134
Thank you friends.
Lake Ontario Jeepster

The original one ,,, Carter, 148 164.
My Dad bought this Jeepster in 1953.

Attachments

• 5501BBE1-6D26-4844-881C-1239F4DD04B7.jpeg
    5501BBE1-6D26-4844-881C-1239F4DD04B7.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 15
When you rebuilt it did you check the throttle shaft and bores for wear?

When you rebuilt it did you check the throttle shaft and bores for wear?
Not sure if he did, Scoutpilot…. He felt that because my Jeep has sat in storage for the last 20 years, that some of the inner surfaces may be corroding or minor flaking off, which is letting it run for one or two starts, then quitting.

Just finished a very long and tedious engine rebuild on ‘49 Jeepster. Now having problems with carburetor. Tried rebuilding twice and still failing
Will run a couple times then quits. New fuel tank, pump and filter.
Sooooo, I am trying to find a new or excellent condition Carter. Not interested in anything from CHINA.
Please let me know where I might find one.
L134
Thank you friends.
Lake Ontario Jeepster
Runs a couple times then quits is not much to go on, but your problem could be on the ignition side.

Runs a couple times then quits is not much to go on, but your problem could be on the ignition side.
When it is running be ready with a pop bottle of gas to dribble down the carb when it begins to die to see if you can keep it going. If it continues to quit then it may be ignition problems. Are your plugs dry or wet when you pull them after it has died?
Al

I can keep it running by pouring gas down the throat Rough, of course, but running
With it idling check each plug to see that you have a good strong blue spark at each plug. If not you have ignition problems. Possibly a condenser. As nova said check your plugs, if wet you are getting fuel, if they are fouled it means poor ignition, not burning the fuel. If it won’t run get someone to turn it over while you watch the spark. You may also need to check your timing. You can rig up a jug on a hose directly to your carb to test run it, careful for the fire hazard!

With it idling check each plug to see that you have a good strong blue spark at each plug. If not you have ignition problems. Possibly a condenser. As nova said check your plugs, if wet you are getting fuel, if they are fouled it means poor ignition, not burning the fuel. If it won’t run get someone to turn it over while you watch the spark. You may also need to check your timing. You can rig up a jug on a hose directly to your carb to test run it, careful for the fire hazard!
Thanks for that, Blue Duck

The 226 in my truck had not run for seven years. I cleaned my carb and installed it three time before it worked right. Soaking and cleaning each time with a new rebuild kit as well. I fouled a bunch of plugs on the first going off until I got things dialed in.
Al

Thanks for that, Blue Duck
Hope it helps, anyhow, you need the ignition working as well as possible before you go spending a lot of money on carburetors. Even if you find a good used carb or even a NOS carb it may need to be refurbished. One question, do you have copper spark plug wires?

Back