Jun 21, 2021
Oahu
First Name
Ian
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
My Jeepster started overheating shortly after installing a dry element filter. I am assuming that the engine is possibly running too lean so I wanted to try and learn enough about carburetors and start playing with the air/fuel mixture, but I don't know what type of carburetor I have. Can anyone identify it from the photo?

I also was not totally sure what to do with the crossover tube attachment to the dipstick, so I just put a small filter on it. I am wondering if i disrupted the PCV system too much in the process. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• carb (1).jpeg
    carb (1).jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8855.jpeg
    IMG_8855.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 36
Carb ID? Can't discern from this photo.
The tube you have blocked with a filter is supposed to connect to the oil bath air cleaner so the internal gases can be sent to the carb. The flow is out, not in.

Looks like you have a Solex carb. with accel pump pointing towards the head of the engine.

Kind of hard to accept a simple carb change causing an engine to overheat.

If it is a Solex, it is definitely mounted wrongly. Perhaps you have a Henry J intake?

Ian,
first and foremost you'll need to find any markings (numbers and letters) on the carb. If you don't want to take it off, use a piece of terry cloth toweling moistened with some sort of solvent like mineral spirits, kerosene or even WD40 and use it to wipe down every bit of the carb you can reach. Then with a mirror (or your phone camera if it does close-up well) look for any and all names, numbers etc.
Once you get that, take some more detailed pics with the air cleaner off and from various angles that show the linkage, manifold mount bolts, etc. and post it all up here.

That should get a better response...
Pomaikia'i !

Thank you all for the input. I was able to clean up the carb enough to see that I had a solex, and did enough research to adjust the mixture. However, I think the bigger problem was that the block and radiator were badly in need of a good flushing. I drove her around for an hour without issue. Thanks again for tolerating my rookie questions.

Back