Dec 27, 2023
Ammon, Idaho
First Name
Zachary
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
With the damaged and missing wiring on my old 1963 Jeep Willys truck with the 230, I am having a hard time finding the wiring schematic for the ballast resistor and voltage regulator and where these items are wired to. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

The above diagram is available in the resource section. Look for

Service Manual for 1954-1960 "Jeep" Utility Vehicles- PDF​

They added a ballast resistor to the Tornado ignition system, but seem to have not made a wiring diagram or at least I never found one. It's in the feed line to the coil, and it's the variable style resistor which does not need a bypass for starting.

I believe I saw your ballast resistor in a picture you posted. It's that porcelain piece on your firewall. Looks just like mine. Looked like the factory wiring was still in tact. If it and the coil gets voltage when you turn the key on it should be good.

Two quick questions, 1st on my old voltage regulator I got two wires coming off the Bat connector and don't know what they go to exactly. 2nd I have another two wires coming off the arm connector and one I know goes to the generator but the other runs under the dash and since I missing mostly everything I have no idea what that wire goes too.1000128043.jpg

According to the wiring diagram in the manual. The terminal marked battery should have one wire to the starter solenoid and the other to the circuit breaker on the head light switch. The middle terminal, marked FIELD, should have one wire that goes to the generator. The far-right terminal Marked ARM, has one wire back to the generator and one to (EDIT) the charge indicator lamp socket on the instrument cluster.

IF you haven't found it already below is my attempt to copy the link to the service manual. In it under section I you will find the wiring diagrams.

Below are pictures from my wagon

Attachments

• IMG_7575.jpeg
    IMG_7575.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7574.jpeg
    IMG_7574.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
A third wire off the BAT terminal on the voltage regulator goes to the horn or horn relay (the middle terminal of the relay on a wagon).
View attachment 162129
Do you happen to have that full schematic? I am trying to make a simple ignition circuit as most of my wiring is trashed, and I am just trying to get the engine to turn over. Once I am able to get it start and run under its own power for a bit, I am going to start tearing into the entire electrical system and other vehicle systems with upgrades.

Do you happen to have that full schematic? I am trying to make a simple ignition circuit as most of my wiring is trashed, and I am just trying to get the engine to turn over. Once I am able to get it start and run under its own power for a bit, I am going to start tearing into the entire electrical system and other vehicle systems with upgrades.
Go to this link in the Library forum of OWF and you can download the entire manual. The diagram is on page 108.

226 Truck Wiring Diagram.JPG

Back