Jan 4, 2020
NJ
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
So admittedly don't know much about this rig, its my uncles and it got stuck at the house last night, he showed up for quick visit and I eventually had him park it and take one of my trucks , this fine piece of 1991 Ford Truck History has an issue it was stuck and had no reverse, but it was not the transmission, shifter cable, or rear brakes locking it up.

The darn thing is crazy bound up going backwards, never seen anything like it.

With the hubs in the front locked, and even in 2WD the thing is bound up going backwards it's the craziest thing I've ever experienced.

Only unlock the hubs and it goes backwards as expected.

20240420_181834.jpg

20240420_181843.jpg

I see the steering is turned sharp. When turning hard on hard surfaces, most 4WDs will bind up to some extent, because something has to “give” when the front and rear drivelines rotate at different speeds, as they do in a turn when the hubs are locked.

The front is traveling a much greater distance over a wider arc than the rear.

I see the steering is turned sharp. When turning hard on hard surfaces, most 4WDs will bind up to some extent, because something has to “give” when the front and rear drivelines rotate at different speeds, as they do in a turn when the hubs are locked.

The front is traveling a greater distance over a wider arc than the rear.
Just to see if something was in there. Can't see much.

No idea why he had the hubs locked, could have been that way for a long time.

Even in a straight line you can't even push it backwards.

Maybe one of the axles is bent, my guess is it's the drivers front.

I tried locking the Drivers and Passenger hubs separate.

When I only lock the Passenger it goes back.

When I only lock the drivers it binds and stops the entire truck solid.

Then when you unlock it, you actually have to drive forwards to unlock it, so maybe an axle U joint is frozen.

It will be going back to its home this afternoon.

Was not expecting it to come apart like this, that outer hub flange and locking part came off with the wheel.

But it seems the drivers axle is not doing well or internal to the axle is broke.

That hub cover deal pops out and seems ok.

20240421_132439.jpg

20240421_132442.jpg

Last edited:
No real magic here on the Left Axle. For example no CV joint at the differential just a pretty normal U Joint, like a 1310 looking deal.

Screenshot_20240421_134353_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240421_140011_Chrome.jpg

Item 1 above seems to be part of this mighty fine NE rig rust, so this will require someone more motivated to take on this repair.

20240421_133453.jpg

20240421_133457.jpg
I'm sure a shop would just hot wrench some of this stuff right apart and start with a used part.

Good news is we have it moving again, and he can use it around the farm in 2WD.

Back