3 Wagons Ramble in Death Valley for 5 Days

Bob, Dave and the pups checking out the campsite in Johnson Canyon. Someone had done a lot of rock work, creating a level terrace in the side of the hill with low walls and a cooking stove. Dave is examining what might have been the spine of a coyote or some other canid.
IMG_1383.jpeg
If you hike up the canyon another 3.5 miles, you’ll find Hungry Bill’s cabin. Apparently the road used to go up the canyon quite a bit further.

Last edited:
Day 5 — Echo Canyon

This was by far the shortest day in terms of miles and hours but it was also scenic and enjoyable.

Echo Canyon is just a short drive from Furnace Creek. Here we are climbing up to the mouth of the canyon.
IMG_1472.jpeg
IMG_1486.jpeg

In the narrows.
IMG_1489.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

We took it easy and enjoyed the views.
IMG_1514.jpeg

IMG_1541.jpeg

IMG_1552.jpeg

IMG_1563.jpeg

After a mile or so the canyon opens up. There were a lot of flowers up there.
IMG_1578.jpeg

IMG_1620.jpeg

IMG_1621.jpeg
Part II later

Day 5 — Cont.

There are ruins of an old mine up the canyon.
IMG_1647.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

After walking around the mine, we drove up to the end of the road and had lunch, then went back down part way and turned up another branch of the canyon.
IMG_1679.jpeg

This road goes through to the adjacent Amargosa Valley. It’s an enjoyable little road as far as we went.
IMG_1709.jpeg

IMG_1734.jpeg

There were some old mining ruins.
IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1741.jpeg

Then we came to the beginning of the challenging part. First this…
IMG_1759.jpeg

Then just above it, this…
IMG_1753.jpeg

We could almost imagine doing the first. We decided it was a bit too much for our stock wagons and Dave led us back for the way we came.
IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1768.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

The next morning we packed up and headed home our separate ways.
IMG_1827.jpeg

It was a very enjoyable week in the desert for me and I appreciated the good company.

It was a very enjoyable week in the desert for me and I appreciated the good company.
A big thanks to Kurt for the logistics, it was my first time exploring Death Valley and Mister Ranch put together a great itinerary. Having Dave along was a blast, in spite of a few minor glitches he kept his sense of humor and his (m)apping skills were a welcome addition. All in all a great time in a great place with some great folks!
And it goes to show that sixty plus year old trucks can handle this just fine. So hopefully this stokes up some fires to get those Old Willys out there on the trails!

That was one for the books! Thanks Kurt and Bob--you guys were great fun to explore with and I feel like I learned a hell of a lot from both of you. That trail-side fix of the wiring was an aha moment. Just follow the old Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared, and everything will be fine. Of course it helps to have a couple of Willys "eagle scouts" along. This was by far the biggest challenge I've put the wagon through, and yes, I do have a list to work on--but all-in-all I was blown away by what a 65 year old vehicle can do.

Here's the overview map of the week showing all five routes and our three camp locations.

Death Valley Trip 2024.png

I couldn’t have asked for better guys to travel with than Bob and Dave. They were easy-going and game for whatever. A couple of the routes turned out to be rough (not in a good 4WD way, just punishing) and not that interesting, and some of the returns to camp were a bit too late, but they never complained. It ended up being a really pleasant time wandering around in the desert.

By the way, you may be wondering how Dave ended up traveling with Bob and I (who did a trip with our wives in October). After my solo trip to Death Valley last year, Dave found a book about the area at a used bookstore in Oregon and got it to me via an OWF relay. Though our correspondence, I learned he likes the desert, so when Bob and I started planning this trip, it just seemed natural to invite Dave, and we were very glad it worked out for him to come down.

Back