Dec 21, 2021
Dripping Springs, Texas
First Name
Matt
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
So I just picked up a 51 Jeepster for my wife. The PO changed the rear end and motor/trans. Currently had a Chevy 6 and 3 Speed OD. Pulling the 6 for a SBC v8 and TH350 trans. Keeping the rear end and am switching the front end to a Mustang 2 set up.

Are there any words of advice from those who have gone down this path? I was looking at a hub to hub kit from Southern Rods. Added the website below. Is there a better kit any of you would recommend?

Going to start a build thread in the next few weeks.IMG_4924.JPEGIMG_4926.JPEG

i am using a Heidts mustang ii kit. i am using the kit with the a arm struts - most people use the strutless type. i also went with coilover shocks. car won't be on the road until June so i can't say how it rides yet.

Attachments

• m2 1.jpg
    m2 1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 22
  • m2 2.jpg
    m2 2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 23
  • m2 3.jpg
    m2 3.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 22
i am using a Heidts mustang ii kit. i am using the kit with the a arm struts - most people use the strutless type. i also went with coilover shocks. car won't be on the road until June so i can't say how it rides yet.
looks good Bob. Does the Heidts kit specifically for the Jeepster or more of a universal kit?

looks good Bob. Does the Heidts kit specifically for the Jeepster or more of a universal kit?
it is a universal kit. Fatman fabricators claims to make one for the Jeepster but they also make them for a Willys wagon or truck. if you order from Fatman you need to make certain that they know it is the Jeepster. when I talked to them they thought the Jeepster had a C channel frame and not a tophat style

Interesting color.

Attachments

• 74151008-3424-41E7-912B-A08BB3AF1BC1.jpeg
    74151008-3424-41E7-912B-A08BB3AF1BC1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
So I just picked up a 51 Jeepster for my wife. The PO changed the rear end and motor/trans. Currently had a Chevy 6 and 3 Speed OD. Pulling the 6 for a SBC v8 and TH350 trans. Keeping the rear end and am switching the front end to a Mustang 2 set up.

Are there any words of advice from those who have gone down this path? I was looking at a hub to hub kit from Southern Rods. Added the website below. Is there a better kit any of you would recommend?

Going to start a build thread in the next few weeks.View attachment 113784View attachment 113785

Mine has a Heidts kit with coil springs and regular shocks., Don't know the spring ratings, but too stiff for my 283. Going to cut one coil out, and will need to put smaller (25" total diameter) tires up front. The lower "A" frame should have about a 1/2" slant, (pivot low point, spindle high point.)

I just installed a Progressive IFS. They are out of Ohio they started making IFS in the 70’s and for the top hat frame ! Well built and engineered. Just fill the instructions. We did not take the engine out of mine . Excellent kit Progressive Automotive 125 West Rome St Baltimore ,OH 43105. 740-862-4696. Ask for Bob.

Back