Apr 29, 2021
Ohio
First Name
Cyril
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Need to get power steering on my pickup...heard something about electric from a Prius... any of you guys know about doing this..

I did it in my 63 falcon which should be a very similar install to a willys truck. I got the steering column and controller for $60 from a totalled prius. I had to chop a section out of the factory shaft, mill 2 flats for an adapter U joint that was 3/4" double flats to metric spline. I also chopped the sleeve column and got seals so everything looks stock except the little bit of the motor you can see under the dash.

Driving is great. I was afraid it would make the steering awkward at speed but it doesn't. It is very different in the sense that it doesn't want to return to center as naturally so you have to pay attention to the road and give it minor steering input as any bump steer will take you out of your lane if you're watching the birds instead of the road. My falcon would definitely benefit from solid thrust rods but it hasn't been bad enough to make me want to dig into that and the CJ-3B brakes and gear box leaks are my current priority.

Here's a walk-through I made from photos explaining most everything. Please feel free to ask any questions.

I've been following this general idea of a steering swap for a few months, just in the "thinking about it" phase...
Here's a YouTube video describing installation of 2009-2013 Toyota Corolla EPS (which might be the same as Prius unit) Electric Steering in a Willys... judging from this video (not sure) I guess the EPS will work without the "control module". I assume the control module adds fancy features such as speed-sensing variable assist and such.

Here's a web page that compiles some of the basic information for Japanese vehicle EPS - these will work fine without the control module.

I am fairly certain if I ever go to power steering in my wagon it will be EPS.
Brad

Last edited:
One of the first things I thought about doing to my Wagon was installing power steering. I started a thread on it:
Got a lot of response on this thread, as well as some ref to others.
What ended up was a description of an aftermarket EPS unit and some great installation posts. Even a thread on installing one in an FC.
The aftermarket unit isn't cheap, but it does allow using the stock column and wheel.
There's a lot of discussion on this topic, and the Prius version looks great.
Thanks for the detailed vids, etc.

Last edited:
Here's the link to my install of EPS on my 57' PU. Not as cheap as using a Prius, but works well.

Back