My CJ3B Stalled Out

I'm looking at getting a new coil but I have a question. On the outside they say either 6v or 12v. Is that the voltage before or after the resistance? I have a 12v jeep but the website is tell me a 6v w/internal resistor will fit my vehicle. I just want to make sure.

I'm looking at getting a new coil but I have a question. On the outside they say either 6v or 12v. Is that the voltage before or after the resistance? I have a 12v jeep but the website is tell me a 6v w/internal resistor will fit my vehicle. I just want to make sure.
Before the resistor.
6v coil with internal resistor is too low of a operating voltage for a 12v vehicle. Honestly, I wasn't even sure 6v systems used an external resistor. @Lookout Ranch would know.

The Easy button is a 12v coil with internal resistor.

Before the resistor.
6v coil with internal resistor is too low of a operating voltage for a 12v vehicle. Honestly, I wasn't even sure 6v systems used an external resistor. @Lookout Ranch would know.

The Easy button is a 12v coil with internal resistor.
Haven't run into an external resistor on my 6V jeeps.

We have two 2a’s with 12 volt systems. One has 12v coil with external ballast resistor, other has 12 volt coil with internal resistor. Same end result, just wired different.CBF2DEE0-EA11-492D-9D78-FF895A308ECC.jpeg7EB982FE-1E7F-4CC9-A1B5-92EC10286763.jpeg

Last edited:
My engine is not "healthy" enough to do this. It needs a rebuild because it's leaking oil in about three different places. :} It was rebuilt in the late '80s and that was the last time it got the proper attention. It gets the job done for now so I'm working on other things before I do a full overhaul.
Save your ones and fives and get the overhaul done first. Spending money on peripherals of a sick motor won't make it much better. As a matter of fact running it now only makes the rebuild more expensive.

Next time it starts sputtering pull the choke out, but not too quick. Maybe over the course of one second. If it momentarily gets better while pulling it out then I would strongly suspect vapor lock.

Another way to check it is after it quits is to lift the air horn and see if the accelerator pump pumps fuel. If it is vapor lock the bowl will be empty and there will be no fuel to pump.

I installed this coil yesterday, went for a drive and after 20 minutes or so it died on me again. It restarted for about 5 seconds then died again. The coil was very hot to the touch. After 45 minutes of talking to the farmer whose house I was in front of, it started right up and took me home. Is the next step to change the condenser and try again?

Here's an additional thought that just occurred to me. My generator does not work. All power is coming from the battery during operation. (I know I need to get this problem fixed) Could this be the root cause? The battery is sending a continual 12v to the coil instead of a reduced amount normally provided by the generator? But then again the internal ballast should drop it down to what is required by the distributer.

This is a dumb observation but on my 3B the coil is mounted on the block so it's bound to get hot isn't it? How hot is too hot?

Attachments

• Coil.JPG
    Coil.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I installed this coil yesterday, went for a drive and after 20 minutes or so it died on me again. It restarted for about 5 seconds then died again. The coil was very hot to the touch. After 45 minutes of talking to the farmer whose house I was in front of, it started right up and took me home. Is the next step to change the condenser and try again?

Here's an additional thought that just occurred to me. My generator does not work. All power is coming from the battery during operation. (I know I need to get this problem fixed) Could this be the root cause? The battery is sending a continual 12v to the coil instead of a reduced amount normally provided by the generator? But then again the internal ballast should drop it down to what is required by the distributer.

This is a dumb observation but on my 3B the coil is mounted on the block so it's bound to get hot isn't it? How hot is too hot?
Yes Roger, the system needs stable voltage to perform correctly. You may have stressed the other ignition components into failure. Let's start with a new alternator, make sure your battery is properly charged, the auto parts store should be able to do that, and test it to make sure it's still usable.

The heat in the coil is caused by the current passing through it. If you leave the ignition turned on for an extended time without the engine running the coil could possibly heat up and explode, might just push the top cap off. for Just out of curiosity, I got my 2A out and drove it for 20 min this afternoon. I stopped and with the engine running checked the coil temp with a probe thermometer, it registered 128 degrees, was hot to the touch after a few seconds. The engine temp was 180 degrees and much hotter to touch than the coil. Was it a new coil you put on and good quality like a Napa or Echlin?

OK, there is a lot to address here. The generator actually puts out more voltage then the battery does. If it did not, it would not charge the battery. You will not hurt the ignition system by running it on just battery voltage. Thus, the lack of a good generator is not the "root cause" of your issues. Now if the generator was putting out 24 volts, that would be a problem.

The coil you linked to does not need an external resister, so you are not over-voltaging the coil. Unless you leave the key on without the engine running, it should not get excessively hot. If you do that for more then a minute, all bets are off. That can burn out both the points & the coil. If left long enough, you can also take out the condenser that way.

What do you mean by "the coil was very hot to the touch"? If you were to touched it, would you be worried about 2nd degree burns? If so, that is too hot. It can be 210 degrees F & be OK, but much more then that could be a problem. If it was hotter then a steaming cup of coffee, it is an issue.

Should we assUme that you did not check the heat of the condenser when it quit? That would have helped with the diagnosis.

The coil being mounted to the engine block will cause it to run hotter then if it were mounted to the body away from the exhaust. OTOH, The engineers would not mount the coil to the engine block if it were an issue. I have had countless engines with the coil mounted to the block go over 300,000 miles with no coil issues. That is not a problem. Now if it were mounted to the exhaust manifold...

IMHO, the next step is to replace the condenser with a name brand one & drive the same route. Take the old condenser with you, just in case the new one is worse then the old one. Buy quality condensers. No ADA-Omix! No Asian crap. Made in Japan should be OK. Anything else from that area is suspect, at best. Echlin is a good brand. I buy mine from NAPA.

Note: If the issue was vapor lock, it would not have started right up. The carburetor would have been empty of fuel & a considerable amount of cranking would be needed to refill the float bowl with fuel.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

PS. If you take the battery in to get tested, make sure it is fully charged first. A battery with a low charge will fail the test every time. I do not see a battery issue here.

OK, there is a lot to address here. The generator actually puts out more voltage then the battery does. If it did not, it would not charge the battery. You will not hurt the ignition system by running it on just battery voltage. Thus, the lack of a good generator is not the "root cause" of your issues. Now if the generator was putting out 24 volts, that would be a problem.
Thanks. That makes sense.

What do you mean by "the coil was very hot to the touch"? If you were to touched it, would you be worried about 2nd degree burns? If so, that is too hot. It can be 210 degrees F & be OK, but much more then that could be a problem. If it was hotter then a steaming cup of coffee, it is an issue.
It was uncomfortably hot to the touch. I did not have my infrared thermometer with me. I will make sure to bring it on my next drive.

Should we assUme that you did not check the heat of the condenser when it quit? That would have helped with the diagnosis.
I did not. I will check it on my next drive.

IMHO, the next step is to replace the condenser with a name brand one & drive the same route. Take the old condenser with you, just in case the new one is worse then the old one. Buy quality condensers. No ADA-Omix! No Asian crap. Made in Japan should be OK. Anything else from that area is suspect, at best. Echlin is a good brand. I buy mine from NAPA.
I have a new condenser at home but I'm unsure of the brand. My father in law bought it years ago when it was his Jeep. I'll swap before my test drive. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow. Sunday is probably a "no play with the Jeep day." :)

It does sound like an ignition problem. The cheap condensers will fail when they get hot, so that is suspect, or it could be the coil, but I doubt it.

I am puzzled by this comment.

"My engine is not "healthy" enough to do this. It needs a rebuild because it's leaking oil in about three different places. :}"

I am puzzled because oil leaks are not an indication an engine needs rebuilt. They are an indication the engine needs new gaskets installed properly. More needs to be tested before assuming the engine needs rebuilt, starting with a compression test.

Probably top quality parts, much better than what a lot of suppliers sell nowadays.

As mentioned Echlin brand sold by NAPA are good quality, but for the last 5 years or so I have bought "Blue Streak" brand tune up parts and have never had a failure. Either are better than the non-branded parts most suppliers sell.

Still curious about what makes you think the engine needs rebuilt.

Still curious about what makes you think the engine needs rebuilt.
I say it needs a rebuild because it’s leaking oil from about 3 locations in the main seals. I e never run any diagnostics though. It just seem like if I replace those seals I might as well do the whole thing.

I did put some stop leak in the oil to try that out. It’s only been about 20 miles. I don’t remember how long the instructions said it might take.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly that. Just because an engine is leaking oil is certainly no indication it needs rebuilt.

You said it was rebuilt back in the 80s, and from your previous posts it doesn't sound like it saw enough use since then to require a rebuild. Main bearing seals, and all gaskets can be replaced for a heck of a lot less money than a rebuild will cost.

We are talking about the difference between two to three thousand dollars for a full rebuild, or less than a hundred dollars for seals and gaskets.

Your engine may indeed need to be rebuilt, but don't make that assumption because of oil leaks. Diagnosis is required.

Back