Trying to Identify this old Jeep

Luke,
Welcome to OWF!

Your Grandfather's Jeep is extremely cool.

This is just a wild guess, but I'm thinking that you've got a CJ-3A that has had components added from other CJ models (CJ-3B hood), and the rear portion of a step van (possibly Chevy) sectioned and grafted onto the back. What a wonderful old workhorse of a snow plow truck!

There should be a serial number plate under the hood on the firewall. If there is, please post a photo.

What do you know about your dad's dad? Is it possible that he is the skilled craftsman that actually conjured up the coachwork on this gem?

Time to start quizzing your elders!

Im not sure how much of that is original. I agree it looks like the beginnings of a CJ3A, but then everything else is from the spare parts bin. The result, after a great deal of work is pretty neat. Too bad its as corroded as it is. Someone sure had a creative mind. Always good to be able to open the front windshield when plowing in a snowstorm too :)

Luke,
Welcome to OWF!

Your Grandfather's Jeep is extremely cool.

This is just a wild guess, but I'm thinking that you've got a CJ-3A that has had components added from other CJ models (CJ-3B hood), and the rear portion of a step van (possibly Chevy) sectioned and grafted onto the back. What a wonderful old workhorse of a snow plow truck!

There should be a serial number plate under the hood on the firewall. If there is, please post a photo.

What do you know about your dad's dad? Is it possible that he is the skilled craftsman that actually conjured up the coachwork on this gem?

Time to start quizzing your elders!
I was also suspecting Cj-3A and modified yes. This was my grandfathers and he had the skill and means to modify it as much as he wanted. Ill see if I can get the VIN plate. However the windows and wipers do look like they could be from a CJ-2A. See the windows on this 1948 2A.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 15
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
No, is a 3b , look at the high hood body and the cj5 grill, and a homemade hood...Phil
I agree with the CJ5 grill. Hood could be custom but also looks like it just might have been modified from a 3b hood. Also since you pointed it out the roof lines match that of the canvas top of a 3b. My grandfather could have taken the rear end of another vehicle or made it while trying to keep the look. The back is diamond plate so the original rear could have rusted out but the front was fine so he replaced what was missing.

Your window doesn’t have the 2 bumps that are usually round or square depending model and year. So as you suggested the windshield is not a CJ2

Your window doesn’t have the 2 bumps that are usually round or square depending model and year. So as you suggested the windshield is not a CJ2
Yes my grandfather put in a custom opening window. But at the same time it dose look like some CJ2 windows and the thing has so many modification it could just have a CJ2 windshield as a donor.

ws looks like a mb (3 1/2 shorter than a 2a) and would line up with the high hood body of a 3b...Phil

ws looks like a mb (3 1/2 shorter than a 2a) and would line up with the high hood body of a 3b...Phil
I think you got it. The windows, hood, bumper and front wheel wells too. Even have the same opening front window that my dad thought was custom. their is even an extended bed version that matches the bed of mine.

I cracked the case on the body. Its a custom recreation of a J20C made by Mitsubishi contracted by Willys for troops in japan. however, I think there is bad news need someone to confirm but it think the vin plate is missing. I got a picture on the engine bay and I think I see a faded rectangle with two holes. Also not the original engine it eitherInked15562_LI.jpg

Looks like a stock jeep f head in a cj 3b, in Montana we used to call a jeep like yours a "Hack" and there was a lot of them... 36 ford cab welded on a 2a or 3a body, or the jeep turned into a truck with a flat bed, not many left...most became parts rigs. Do not sell it, restore it just like its is, you grand dad would be happy. The stock jeep had a lot of draw backs and your grandpa fixed them to his liking...Phil

Looks like a stock jeep f head in a cj 3b, in Montana we used to call a jeep like yours a "Hack" and there was a lot of them... 36 ford cab welded on a 2a or 3a body, or the jeep turned into a truck with a flat bed, not many left...most became parts rigs. Do not sell it, restore it just like its is, you grand dad would be happy. The stock jeep had a lot of draw backs and your grandpa fixed them to his liking...Phil
That is the plan I'm not changing how it looks as it would lose its caricature and story. This will not be sold during my life. It's going to be used at our hunting property.

Also I have been thinking of doing a video series of me working on the jeep. you guys think people would be interested in it?
It depends, are you a grade A mechanic ?

Back