Where do you put your coffee cup or water bottle?

I gave up trying to drink anything while driving a Willys. I usually end up wearing it.

:D:D:D:D:D.. Haw .Haw..Haw..Haw..Haw....!!!....Amen to that Gary..!!.......Aint that the Truth...!!

Driving a 67 year old truck with teeth rattling leaf sprung suspension ...over questionable road surfaces ....and then attempting to drink a beverage ...(..Mcdonalds Coffee.!!.).....yes you can do it ....preferably full stop at red light...!! anytime else you are just asking for trouble .!!!

Larry

Hey, l know this is an older post , but l recently saw where someone used those metal or tin coffee cups like all cowboys drink from around the camp fire, and screwed them to the dash or door frame or tranny tunnel or wherever you have room. A real cup for a cup holder. Looked pretty cool. IMHO matty49

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

The seat is grey... It came out of a 1990 Dodge Dakota.. Tilt back... Reupholstered of course.

I chose this as a replacement because: It is the correct width.
It uses molded foam.......Much more comfortable on long trips.
The tilt back allows me to slide the base all the way back for max leg and belly room.
I used 2"x2" wood spacers under the seat for additional leg room.
I did NOT want head rests or a center cut out like a Toyota.

I can drive 600 highway miles in a day without cramping.

The seat was hard to find.

600 miles a day in a Willys pickup! You're a hell of a man Larry. Some one would have to attach me between two trucks and pull on me to straighten my back out. Glad you're enjoying you're truck.

:D:D:D:D:D.. Haw .Haw..Haw..Haw..Haw....!!!....Amen to that Gary..!!.......Aint that the Truth...!!

Driving a 67 year old truck with teeth rattling leaf sprung suspension ...over questionable road surfaces ....and then attempting to drink a beverage ...(..Mcdonalds Coffee.!!.).....yes you can do it ....preferably full stop at red light...!! anytime else you are just asking for trouble .!!!

Larry

Glad I ain't the only one thinking that way. And if I did manage to get a cup of coffe down I would have to stop and pee every 5 miles or so. Maybe there was a reason Willys didn't have a factory cup holder. Oh wait! 60 years ago you stopped at a restaurant for coffe and drank it out of a ceramic cup while you interacted with the locals. Now a days you pull into a drive thru and get you're coffe in a foam cup that is hardly strong enough to hold it. Everything changes.

I think I might try using magnets on the bottom of my metal camp cup. That way if I need to move it or get a better idea I have one less hole in my cab, and no holes in my mug!

I hate to brag, but I've got all the options in my daily driver (windows that go up & down, the whole bit)... and since I knew I was going to have a passenger, I turned my single cupholder into a dually. Otherwise I'm good with one.

IMG_20181118_152259.jpg

I found these online, they are door pockets for a VW camper van. They come in 14 and 19 inch wide, and 5 inches high. I have used them on my Dodge truck, and will be using a set on my Willys pickup. They have a built in cup/bottle holder and lots of ancillaryWillys, door pockets 001.JPG room.

Attachments

• Willys, door pockets 004.JPG
    Willys, door pockets 004.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 49
  • Willys, door pockets 005.JPG
    Willys, door pockets 005.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 48
Sorry to drift away from the subject here. Hey Dan, here's a legible shot of my data plate. From the information supplied to me by the PO, my truck was purchased in the state of Washington, SW area of the state (Husum), I believe. The original owner's grandson was the second owner. There were two other owners that I'm aware of before I drove to Minnesota and purchased it off of a Craigslist ad. The engine, tranny and axles were updated at some point. The notes I have reference some speed shops in the Portland and Vancouver area, so the mods were performed in Washington. Anything you can add to the history, I would love to know. Being my first Willys vehicle, I assumed all trucks came with a data plate on the dash. I have the second owner's name and was planning to contact him sometime to see if he can fill me in.

I took inspiration from John (Pivnic) and added a few flourishes.

View attachment 46458

View attachment 46459

View attachment 46460

This was made from three 3-inch flexible couplings, six paper clips to bind them together top and bottom where the bands (hose clamps) intersect, some spare 1/4-inch closed cell foam cut to fit, and three squares of sticky-back Velcro. The couplings are almost 4 inches deep, so it's a nice secure fit. This will sit on my carpeted hump just in front of the seat.
After using this for awhile, I like it quite well. It’s heavy enough to be stable, especially with the tripod shape and Velcro, the fit is right for most containers (or a pair of glasses), and the insulation really helps to keep things cool on warm days.

I found these online, they are door pockets for a VW camper van. They come in 14 and 19 inch wide, and 5 inches high. I have used them on my Dodge truck, and will be using a set on my Willys pickup. They have a built in cup/bottle holder and lots of ancillaryView attachment 55100 room.

Where do you put the screws, in the metal, door panel? Are you using sheetmetal screws, nutzerts or?

Where do you put the screws, in the metal, door panel? Are you using sheetmetal screws, nutzerts or?
The pockets come with 4 pre-drilled holes. I used 10-24x 1/2" screws and nuts with backup washers into the panel board, that way, they went on with the door cards. I use 1/8" ABS plastic backer board for my door cards, never warps, water makes no impact on it, like it does with cardboard.

The pockets come with 4 pre-drilled holes. I used 10-24x 1/2" screws and nuts with backup washers into the panel board, that way, they went on with the door cards. I use 1/8" ABS plastic backer board for my door cards, never warps, water makes no impact on it, like it does with cardboard.

Thanks for the info, mine are Masonite so they should be fine.

. I use 1/8" ABS plastic backer board for my door cards, never warps, water makes no impact on it, like it does with cardboard.

I used the same thing on my 51 truck.....1/8 inch black plastic ABS .....paid like $50 for a full 4x8 sheet of it cut in half ...then used original existing door panel as a master template and transfered everything over then used a variable slow speed jig saw along with a steady hand to cut it out ...drilled the holes using my hole saw kit from Horrible Freight IMG_20180612_185503440_HDR.jpgIMG_20180612_184833608_HDR.jpg

this what i ended up with. all said and done..........looks pretty damn good to me..!!!

this will eventually get fabric cover over it when i do the rest of the upholstery which will be after paint ...which will yet ...........TBD....

i went this way bacause we all know what happens to masonite or cardboard or any paper or wood backed materials if it gets wet, damp or exposed to humidity ......
only problem i see with this is the fact it is plastic...i live in the middle of a desert where avg summer day time temp is 115 degrees ...not that i will be driving my truck during that time but you get the idea... heat/ plastic..not a good combination. but my truck lives in a closed garage so will see how much longer they last.

Larry

I used the same thing on my 51 truck.....1/8 inch black plastic ABS .....paid like $50 for a full 4x8 sheet of it cut in half ...then used original existing door panel as a master template and transfered everything over then used a variable slow speed jig saw along with a steady hand to cut it out ...drilled the holes using my hole saw kit from Horrible Freight

i went this way bacause we all know what happens to masonite or cardboard or any paper or wood backed materials if it gets wet, damp or exposed to humidity ......
only problem i see with this is the fact it is plastic...i live in the middle of a desert where avg summer day time temp is 115 degrees ...not that i will be driving my truck during that time but you get the idea... heat/ plastic..not a good combination. but my truck lives in a closed garage so will see how much longer they last.

Larry

Larry
The Masonite panels in my Willys are the ones that either Willys or the border patrol put in it in 64. So far other than some wear and tear they look pretty good, I do like the ABS plastic you used and if I replace the ones have I'm doing it like yours.

Back